Rankings update: Cain Velasquez debuts at No. 7

Marco Tropoja

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
https://www.mmamania.com/2019/2/19/...t-rankings-ngannou-velasquez-espn-phoenix-mma

The last time Cain Velasquez was ranked No. 7 in the heavyweight division?

November 2009.

A decade later and the former UFC heavyweight champion is once again out of the top five, but unlike the first occasion, he’s on his way down instead of his way up. Whether or not we blame those brittle knees — or Francis Ngannou’s fists — is a matter of debate.
So, losing in under a minute after years of absence gets you ranked number 7? Is his beating of JDS in 2013 still carrying him up the ranks? Certainly a KO of 2016 Browne sandwitched between getting stopped twice doesn't.

Edit: the rankings
Champion: Daniel Cormier
1 Stipe Miocic
2 Francis Ngannou +1
3 Derrick Lewis -1
4 Curtis Blaydes
5 Alexander Volkov
6 Alistair Overeem
7 Cain Velasquez *NR
8 Junior Dos Santos -1
9 Aleksei Oleinik -1
10 Marcin Tybura -1
11 Justin Willis -1
12 Tai Tuivasa -1
13 Shamil Abdurakhimov -1
14 Walt Harris -1
15 Andrei Arlovski -1​

Last edited:
IF he fight again

Vs Arlovski please.

How he can still be at 7 is beyond me....

Based on guys fighting and actually winning, how can he still be so highly ranked? He's beaten one meh HW in like 5+ years....

Based on guys fighting and actually winning, how can he still be so highly ranked? He's beaten one meh HW in like 4 years....
UFC rankings are too complex for us to understand bro

formula_000020676298xsmall.jpg

Im sure its not just Dana pointing randomly at numbers...

Higher ranking = more marketable, they don't give a shit about anything else apparently.

Also, comparing JDS and Cain: It's fair to say that after their fight in 2013 Cain was well stablished ahead of JDS, no doubt, but how long until that is no longer the case? Cain lost and got ahead of JDS in 2019.

Since their fight(2013) Cain is 1-2 with a victory over Browne and got stopped twice. JDS is 4-2, also got stopped twice, but he did beat Miocic, Rothwell, Ivanov and Tuivasa, all of which are better victories than Browne.

UFC rankings are too complex for us to understand bro

formula_000020676298xsmall.jpg

Im sure its not just Dana pointing randomly at numbers...
Pretty sure that if it was Dana randomly pointing at numbers, the rankings would make more sense

I take UFC rankings about as seriously as I take the story about Prophet Mohammad using a donkey to fly from town to town some 1400 years ago.

Further proof that the way the UFC does their rankings doesn't work.
A 26s loss being your only fight in 2 1/2 years should get you on anyone's rankings.

<{MindBrown}>

I guess that means Cain is going to attempt competing again.

Based on guys fighting and actually winning, how can he still be so highly ranked? He's beaten one meh HW in like 5+ years....

I don't know WTF they are thinking. Since 2014, Cain has had 3 fights in 5 years, going 1-2. How the fuck you gonna be #7 when you just folded up against Ngannou in about 60 seconds.

Just shows how fucking shit the HW division is. The UFC needs to pay better to pull away some of the top big men from the other real sports. If not, the HW division will be full of shallow water.

Cain will be back. They will rebuild him with better parts.

WAR Cyborg Cain!

https://www.mmamania.com/2019/2/19/...t-rankings-ngannou-velasquez-espn-phoenix-mma

The last time Cain Velasquez was ranked No. 7 in the heavyweight division?

November 2009.

A decade later and the former UFC heavyweight champion is once again out of the top five, but unlike the first occasion, he’s on his way down instead of his way up. Whether or not we blame those brittle knees — or Francis Ngannou’s fists — is a matter of debate.
So, losing in under a minute after years of absence gets you ranked number 7? Is his beating of JDS in 2013 still carrying him up the ranks? Certainly a KO of 2016 Browne sandwitched between getting stopped twice doesn't.

Edit: the rankings
Champion: Daniel Cormier
1 Stipe Miocic
2 Francis Ngannou +1
3 Derrick Lewis -1
4 Curtis Blaydes
5 Alexander Volkov
6 Alistair Overeem
7 Cain Velasquez *NR
8 Junior Dos Santos -1
9 Aleksei Oleinik -1
10 Marcin Tybura -1
11 Justin Willis -1
12 Tai Tuivasa -1
13 Shamil Abdurakhimov -1
14 Walt Harris -1
15 Andrei Arlovski -1​
Man, that is a weak 10-15

WOW, you lose your first fight in 4 years in 26 seconds and that gets you a #7 ranking? I guess the HW division is a little thin right now.<45>

Back