The greatest moment in GSPs career

It's interesting, but as accomplished as GSP was, his dominance was clinical to nearly the point where there weren't any super-legendary moments during his fights outside of Hughes and Penn (I personally don't value his MW title as much as most).

This:

greasing2.gif

Has to be when he koed Hughes for his first title for me.

This.

After that...probably the Diaz, Fitch, or Bisping fights. Diaz because after years of talking shit about GSP, GSP humbled the shit out of him and basically did whatever he wanted to do to him (100% sonned). Fitch because at the time, Fitch was on an otherworldly run (like 12 wins in a row or something wild) and GSP flat-out beat the shit out of him for five rounds (respect to Fitch for being so tough). Bisping because he finished a tough fighter after a long layoff, in a weight class above what he'd always fought at.

getting a 7th consecutive decision win was nothing short of spectacular...

"Is GSP a great fighter? Yeah, he's a great fighter.
But he's a quitter. A front runner. He's that bully guy but once you push through, and it ain't easy, but once you do, he's going to fold.

George, that's how I'm going to beat you. You're going to wonder who is this person, this is not the same person, and you're going to quit."

This is beautiful.

Just wow. Is there any greater example of a fighter projecting his fears then coming true like this?

"Is GSP a great fighter? Yeah, he's a great fighter.
But he's a quitter. A front runner. He's that bully guy but once you push through, and it ain't easy, but once you do, he's going to fold.

George, that's how I'm going to beat you. You're going to wonder who is this person, this is not the same person, and you're going to quit."

This is beautiful.

Just wow. Is there any greater example of a fighter projecting his fears then coming true like this?

LOL, smh BJ

I've only seen one GSP fight in person, in Montreal when he beat Serra in the rematch, so I have to pick that one.

There was a true blood lust in the audience that night. I really think the crowd wanted GSP to literally kill Serra. And when he won the roof nearly came off.

Amazing fighter who was defeated by ego.

......imho.

Yeah I love BJ, but I think he got so far along on his freak talent and athletic ability he stopped progressing, then finally the sport caught up with him.

Why ? I was hoping him and Nurmegomedov would fight.

There are some good things about GSP (dominant champ, more Canadian fans, etc.) but I feel he has hurt the sport overall.

His ability to dominate by controlling position, distance etc. without looking for a finish changed MMA and has made it a lot less exciting. He decided his personal victories were more important than the entertainment of the fans and the long-term growth of the sport. His recent pattern of wanting to cherry-pick fights is also hurting the sport and disrupting divisions. I feel he has been a negative influence overall since his fight with Matt Serra.

To be a fair, he was a monster in the 3rd Hughes fight.

When is lost to Serra.

Changed his style and became unbeatable.

His fights with Fitch and Condit were the best from an entertainment standpoint. If we're strictly speaking of accomplishments then I don't think anything tops beating BJ in his prime.

Back