Kelvin and Whittaker are both favorable stylistic match ups for Adesanya

Raksas

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The UFC was smart in their choice of opponents for Israel. I think he will have a very good chance now in becoming champion in 2019. Both Whittaker and Gastelum are strikers who are not known to pose any wrestling threat at all. Israel will most likely outstrike them both. If they can't establish the threat of a takedown I don't see them catching him. Israel is probably the best pure striker in the middleweight division right now. His toughest fights in my opinion would be Rockhold, Romero and Jacare. Whittaker and Gastelum? Not so much

Whittaker would knock him the fuck out. dude is a beast. keep underrating him like a retard. gastelum is tough too. he can take a punch. he might crack Israel. not an easy fight at all.

The UFC was smart in their choice of opponents for Israel. I think he will have a very good chance now in becoming champion in 2019. Both Whittaker and Gastelum are strikers who are not known to pose any wrestling threat at all. Israel will most likely outstrike them both. If they can't establish the threat of a takedown I don't see them catching him. Israel is probably the best pure striker in the middleweight division right now. His toughest fights in my opinion would be Rockhold, Romero and Jacare. Whittaker and Gastelum? Not so much
You do know that both Whittaker and Gastelum have wrestling backgrounds, yes?

Gastelum knocks him out
Whittaker could win if he wrestles but loses a striking match.
Weidman Rockhold Romero and Jacare are nightmares for Adesanya

<{outtahere}>

Whittaker began competing in amateur freestyle wrestling tournaments in 2015, when he unexpectedly turned up to compete in the Australia Cup in Canberra. He won each of his three bouts.[64] It was also at the 2015 Australia Cup that Whittaker flagged the possibility of potentially representing Australia in Olympic or Commonwealth wrestling competitions.[65] He returned to the wrestling mat in May 2017 and claimed the Australian National Wrestling Championships gold medal in the 97 kg (213 lbs) division.[66] After winning the national championship, Whittaker entered Australia's 2018 Commonwealth Games 97 kg qualifying tournament in November 2017. He would once again claim first place in his division and in doing so qualified to represent Australia in the wrestling at the 2018 Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast,[67][68] the city in which he made his UFC debut. Following his qualification, Whittaker made it clear he would only compete in the Commonwealth Games if the event did not interfere with his UFC commitments.[69] It was confirmed in March 2018 that Whittaker would be one of eight Australians to compete in the Commonwealth Games wrestling competition in April 2018.[70] However, Whittaker was forced to withdraw from the Games less than three weeks from the event in order not to risk being stripped of his UFC championship title, as the UFC was concerned that an injury incurred during the Commonwealth Games would render him unable to compete for the middleweight championship at UFC 225 against Yoel Romero on 9 June 2018.[71][72]

I don't think so
Kelvin is very slick, fast on the feet and can rassle
Not an easy fight

Yoel is toughest
Whittaker and Jacare are easier fights for him than Kelvin imo
He'd run through Rockhold

<{outtahere}>

Whittaker began competing in amateur freestyle wrestling tournaments in 2015, when he unexpectedly turned up to compete in the Australia Cup in Canberra. He won each of his three bouts.[64] It was also at the 2015 Australia Cup that Whittaker flagged the possibility of potentially representing Australia in Olympic or Commonwealth wrestling competitions.[65] He returned to the wrestling mat in May 2017 and claimed the Australian National Wrestling Championships gold medal in the 97 kg (213 lbs) division.[66] After winning the national championship, Whittaker entered Australia's 2018 Commonwealth Games 97 kg qualifying tournament in November 2017. He would once again claim first place in his division and in doing so qualified to represent Australia in the wrestling at the 2018 Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast,[67][68] the city in which he made his UFC debut. Following his qualification, Whittaker made it clear he would only compete in the Commonwealth Games if the event did not interfere with his UFC commitments.[69] It was confirmed in March 2018 that Whittaker would be one of eight Australians to compete in the Commonwealth Games wrestling competition in April 2018.[70] However, Whittaker was forced to withdraw from the Games less than three weeks from the event in order not to risk being stripped of his UFC championship title, as the UFC was concerned that an injury incurred during the Commonwealth Games would render him unable to compete for the middleweight championship at UFC 225 against Yoel Romero on 9 June 2018.[71][72]

So? Justin Gaethje has pretty good wrestling credentials too but neither one of them use their wrestling in the ufc.

You do know that both Whittaker and Gastelum have wrestling backgrounds, yes?

Plenty of mma fighters have wrestling backgrounds but never use their wrestling offensively. Whittaker and Gastelum both use their wrestling only defensively in order to stay on the feet because their striking is what seperates them from the rest. We have yet to see both of them put on a wrestling clinic on someone who has the ability to outsrike them

I'm confident in Whittaker to overwhelm and outpace Israel
I also think he has enough TD threat to help keep Israel reasonable with kicking

My biggest worry is how well did his chin hold up after getting bounced around by Romero

IDK about Whittaker. If his offensive wrestling is as good as his defensive wrestling, he might horrible match up for Adesanya.

I'm putting money on Israel to beat Kelvin. I sincerely hope that the backlash from the Silva fight leads to favorable odds. I can't wait for post-fight reaction on this forum.

He has used his wrestling plenty before,but a lot of his fights aren't fights where he should have a grappling heavy gameplan these last few years.You think he should have been spamming td's on people like Jacare,Weidman,Hendricks or Woodley?I can only come to the conclusion that you recently started watching mma seeing as though you haven't seen Kelvin Gastelum grapple before.Did you see that sick back take against Ellenberger?Counting TUF he has as many subs in the UFC as he does ko's.I can also tell you must be new since you didn't know fighters can try to take the fight where they have the best chance of winning.Welcome to mma TS.

Whittaker would knock him the fuck out. dude is a beast. keep underrating him like a retard. gastelum is tough too. he can take a punch. he might crack Israel. not an easy fight at all.
I love how Stylebender haters first thing to bring up is Kelvin's chin lmao, what else do you think he brings? Better offensive wrestling than Brunson? Better striking?? It's not an easy fight obviously, but Israel should be a heavy favorite going into this fight.

Back