Damn you, MMA!

Charyot

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Watching Cain, one of my favorite fighters, get destroyed in under a minute of the first round, made me question why I keep getting invested in these fights. Connor getting manhandled by Khabib. Chael getting outclassed again and again. Overeem knocked out senseless for God knows how many times. So many hopes - build up by a very transparent hype machine - violently squashed.

The brutal essence of MMA makes it difficult being a fan of certain fighters every now and then. On the other hand, the joy I feel when one of my favorite fighters gets a dominant W is incomparable with other sports. With these strong emotional opposites in the outcome of MMA fights, ranging more often then not from a brutal knockout to a clean and dominant victory, I guess MMA is the bipolar disorder amongst sports entertainment.

I wish I wouldn’t care for the outcome of these fights, but I do. Damn you, MMA!

Anyone who has Cain as their favorite fighter is a racist asshole

Or a really nice guy

I find that training UFC myself is important to maintain a positive mindset.

Watching Cain, one of my favorite fighters, get destroyed in under a minute of the first round, made me question why I keep getting invested in these fights. Connor getting manhandled by Khabib. Chael getting outclassed again and again. Overeem knocked out senseless for God knows how many times. So many hopes - build up by a very transparent hype machine - violently squashed.

The brutal essence of MMA makes it difficult being a fan of certain fighters every now and then. On the other hand, the joy I feel when one of my favorite fighters gets a dominant W is incomparable with other sports. With these strong emotional opposites in the outcome of MMA fights, ranging more often then not from a brutal knockout to a clean and dominant victory, I guess MMA is the bipolar disorder amongst sports entertainment.

I wish I wouldn’t care for the outcome of these fights, but I do. Damn you, MMA!

I feel you man, that's the highs and the lows.

Watching Chuck's, Fedor's and Andy's fights live was amazing.

The ecstasy and the agony.

What would've your life have been without it though?

What you hate about MMA, is exactly what makes it great. When you have 4 oz gloves, and the top 10 of most division's is loaded you are almost never going to see a crazy undefeated streak. Mayweather is 50-0, he had like 30 title defenses over 17 years and went over 6 years without a finish. You will never see that in the UFC, Dana isn't going to let you cherry pick your opponents. Any weakness in MMA gets exploited, doesn't matter if you are a world class striker, if your grappling is garbage you will get exposed. Just enjoy the parity of MMA, what other sport could you have a women they say could probably beat the men in her weight class and then in her next fight get knocked out by a woman who has lost 4 of her last 6 fights in the UFC.

Anyone who has Cain as their favorite fighter is a racist asshole

Or a really nice guy

Or maybe, just maybe, someone who enjoys his fighting style.

Shocking, I know...

This is why I try to not have a favourite fighter. I'm a fan of combat sports and that's it.

Somebody wins, somebody loses. No participation trophies.

Pinning your hopes on a couple of lame horses there bro,

Come towards the light..

Jon-Jones-Shoulder-Tattoo.jpg

What disappoints me the most in MMA issu the reward we get by the wait of the event.

Waiting for weeks to see Ngannou vs Cain, watching press conferences, interviews, reading Sherdog, and all of it for a 26 seconds KO / knee pop.

You add to this all cancelled fights. The Whittaker Gastelum fight for a recent example.

I hate the fact that today's cards are not solid. We have more cards with less quality and if one fight or two doesn't deliver, all the card is reduced to nothing.

I miss the old pride days, where we had to wait for three months but when the event was on, it was full of big names.

I like Cain.

Love mma, because anyone can win. Upsets are awesome, mutual respect is preferred, back and forth fights with lots of landed shots, returning favorites, hell even some losses by my favorite fighters are great fights.

Yep, something we gotta deal with as mma fans. Machida is my favorite fighter of all time, and ive seen him brutally beaten multiple times. Its a tough game.

What disappoints me the most in MMA issu the reward we get by the wait of the event.

Waiting for weeks to see Ngannou vs Cain, watching press conferences, interviews, reading Sherdog, and all of it for a 26 seconds KO / knee pop.

You add to this all cancelled fights. The Whittaker Gastelum fight for a recent example.

I hate the fact that today's cards are not solid. We have more cards with less quality and if one fight or two doesn't deliver, all the card is reduced to nothing.

I miss the old pride days, where we had to wait for three months but when the event was on, it was full of big names.

Fuck those days. With Bellator, I get my MMA fix now almost every weekend and its awesome.
There are more, better and different fighters now than there ever was in Pride days.
I agree to a bit with `washed out` cards, but I see that as part of the sports. Almost every great fighter started in the shitty cards and prelims, theres a thrill in finding someone awesome in the lower fights and following him all the way to the top.
Also, UFC 235 is stacked as shit man, 2 champions, Lawler, Zabit, Garbrandt, Walker.. you should enjoy this era imo.

Winning and losing are part of MMA.

Take being a life long Bisping fan all the losses and setbacks made him winning the title even sweeter.

A rollercoaster ride is more fun with the ups and the downs.

Disappointment is part of life Kiddo learn to roll with it.

Yep, something we gotta deal with as mma fans. Machida is my favorite fighter of all time, and ive seen him brutally beaten multiple times. Its a tough game.
What's the average mma career, something like ten years? It's indeed not an easy way to make a living

What's the average mma career, something like ten years? It's indeed not an easy way to make a living
I pity mma fighters that arent and wouldnt ever be in the upper echelon of fighters. Seems like a hard, dissapointing life. Whereas I'd envy a 3rd string cornerback in the NFL or a 2nd string forward in the NBA.

Back