It's disappointment after disappointment

Whitaker pulling out
Anderson not trying to win, just sparring
Mitrionne and Sergi a non event
Crocop and Nelson disappointing
Congo disappointing
Daley disappointing against MVP
Cain collapsing like a granny

When's the last time a main event ended up being a high level barn burner ?

Just doesn't happen enough

Yeah. I agree. End of 2018, early 2019 is awful for MMA.

UFC 231 Holloway vs Ortega, like 2 months ago, before that it was KZ vs Rodriguez in November.

Thank god for Luque Vs Barbarena

It's disappointment after disappointment

Whitaker pulling out
Anderson not trying to win, just sparring
Mitrionne and Sergi a non event
Crocop and Nelson disappointing
Congo disappointing
Daley disappointing against MVP
Cain collapsing like a granny

Just doesn't happen enough

giphy.gif

Also, I think I see your problem, OP: you're too fixated on the shitty heavier weightclasses. HW is a wasteland. LHW is a wasteland. With Yoel incapable of making weight and Whittaker injured, MW is a wasteland. Only WW, LW and FW really deliver nowadays, try watching fights from those weightclasses.

The best fights usually come as a surprise by unknown or unhyped fighters who barely get paid shit.
Once these guys get some money they and their agents try to hold on as long as possible stalling and bullshitting.
Acting and storylines are more important than the actual fights to WME.
{<buffer}

Conor v Khabib was the biggest fight in UFC history and delivered in such a massive way.

Khabib unexpected knockdown, the fight being dominated and finished by Khabib, and then finally the post fight drama.

Was a fantastic entertaining night.

But yes it seems to be mostly let downs like 70% of the time.

It's a D level sport with D level athletes. What do you expect?

Thank god for Luque Vs Barbarena
Should I watch this one? I missed the card and don't feel like watching all of it now, but was this fight as good as people are saying?

UFC 231 Holloway vs Ortega, like 2 months ago, before that it was KZ vs Rodriguez in November.
Holloway/Ortega was a horrible, one-sided beatdown, looked like a squash match at times. Definitely not a "barn burner".

You're right about the main events disappointing.

But you cannot complain about Luque/Barberena, that was one of the best fights I've ever seen.

Holloway/Ortega was a horrible, one-sided beatdown, looked like a squash match at times. Definitely not a "barn burner".
Same with the Khabib fight. That fight was one sided and only really exciting if you wanted to see a guy you dislike get destroyed.

That’s kind of the nature of the fight game though, isn’t it? You can’t control how long a fight will go unlike all other sports. You can’t control how it will end or if it will be exciting. In mma literally anything can happen, that both it’s beauty and it’s curse. That anything doesn’t have to be a crazy come behind ko. Sometimes it is, other times it’s a nutshot that ends the fight 14 seconds in. Just the way it is

extreme weight cutting-
minimal size gloves-
extreme over training -
fighter safety-

Disappointments are to be expected. That's why the classics make this sport so special.Its why we watch -2 men (/women) enter a cage and basically have a fist fight - not to put it in layman's terms but it is what it is.
I don't think the human vessel was made for this which ,again, makes this a special sport.

I've been an avid fan for 20 years and MMA is now (for me) right there with the NFL and March madness.

Back