Why not ID by red or blue corner?

Exemplar

Fuligin Belt
@Black
Reaction score
The UFC (and/or ESPN) continue to make fighters wear opposing color shorts of black and white. Black and white is used to identify the fighters via the bottom screen ticker bar.

They also tape gloves with opposing colors of red and blue and use these colors to identify the two fighters corners.

Why the fk don’t they just let the fighters wear any color shorts and simply keep the red/blue glove/corner to identify universally? Is there something I’m missing? Seems so fk’n useless to use two sets of colors to essentially do the same thing.

(I cannot be the only fan that has wondered about this seemingly useless redundancy.)

i prefer the way bellator does it with the brightly coloured gloves tbh but i get how a few people think that looks bad

Seems counterintuitive but that's what you get from a souless multinational corporation.

shorts are easier to see, it's not that complicated to figure out

The UFC (and/or ESPN) continue to make fighters wear opposing color shorts of black and white. Black and white is used to identify the fighters via the bottom screen ticker bar.

They also tape gloves with opposing colors of red and blue and use these colors to identify the two fighters corners.

Why the fk don’t they just let the fighters wear any color shorts and simply keep the red/blue glove/corner to identify universally?

people watching in black and white...

in the uk apparently there are 7,161 households who still only have a black and white tv licence

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/cs/media-centre/news/view.app?id=1369785628266

Black%20and%20White%20television.jpg

That aside, its also largely for partially sighted, colour blind people etc.

Someone partially sighted can tell the difference between distinct shorts, one light, one dark, shorts are quite big etc. Someone with poor eyesight would struggle much more to spot the glove tape, especially in clinch or grappling situations.

Its not like bellator where they have huge bloody great red and blue gloves, the ufc only have tape and if you are hard of sight its pretty hard to see.

Life was so much easier in the 50's when everyone was racist and they always just matched black fighters against white fighters and captioned which one was the "negro" for the viewers at home

Back