Why are fighters so fragile during fight week?

Defeat Unknown

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
We only criticize fighters for extreme weight cutting when they miss weight, but what about all the other fighters that make weight, but are ill, have staph, passing out, tear ligaments, sprain ankles, and whatever other injury you can name during fight week? Is this all related to extreme weight cutting?

Do you think this fighter fragility has something to do with not eating, draining themselves of all fluids, while demanding their body to perform at it's highest capacity and capability?

How long are we going to write off these incidents as "freak accidents" hours or days before the fight, and recognize that if you're not fueling your body properly, it's not going to perform as well as it could/should?

We only criticize fighters for extreme weight cutting when they miss weight, but what about all the other fighters that make weight, but are ill, have staph, passing out, tear ligaments, sprain ankles, and whatever other injury you can name during fight week? Is this all related to extreme weight cutting?

Do you think this fighter fragility has something to do with not eating, draining themselves of all fluids, while demanding their body to perform at it's highest capacity and capability?

How long are we going to write off these incidents as "freak accidents" hours or days before the fight, and recognize that if you're not fueling your body properly, it's not going to perform as well as it could/should?
Part of the game , you have fighters having seizures and yet get cleared to fight

There are so many variables during training camps its amazing that it doesn't happen more often. I don't think the majority of fighters focus on recovery like ice bath, massages and rest. Over training was common place for years, just recently guys like Robbie and cowboy have stated that they don't spar as much as they used too because of unnecessary damage.

I read somewhere or herd on a JRE podcast that Lebron spsends 1.5 mill on recovery every year, you think mma fighters come close?

There are so many variables during training camps its amazing that it doesn't happen more often. I don't think the majority of fighters focus on recovery like ice bath, massages and rest. Over training was common place for years, just recently guys like Robbie and cowboy have stated that they don't spar as much as they used too because of unnecessary damage.

I read somewhere or herd on a JRE podcast that Lebron spsends 1.5 mill on recovery every year, you think mma fighters come close?

most MMA fighters won't even make 1.5m in their careers, nevermind spending 1.5m on recovery.

Ankles, staph infections, back injury, torn ligament things like that aren’t due to weight cutting. A running back takes the first hand off for the season and gets injured. That shit happens.

But weight cutting is a serious problem. Your body needs energy from good food and hydrating.

When I see a fighter go to the scale looking like there going to faint it’s sad. But I’m no doctor.

weight cutting, insurance, and most obvious of all: CONSPIRACIES!

because they are literally starving and dehydrating themselves.

Ankles, staph infections, back injury, torn ligament things like that aren’t due to weight cutting. A running back takes the first hand off for the season and gets injured. That shit happens.

But weight cutting is a serious problem. Your body needs energy from good food and hydrating.

When I see a fighter go to the scale looking like there going to faint it’s sad. But I’m no doctor.
ur not saying eliminating weight cutting is the answer, are you? im not assuming anything, just axin

How do we know this? How can all injuries during fight week be random events? Certainly it's possible that these injuries existed before fight week and the fighters did their best to hide them, but how do we know that when you perform at peak performance while draining your body, that it doesn't lead to all these freak accidents?

It's too coincidental for me that fighters are falling out with severe injuries during fight week when they deplete their bodies. Why is no one making the connection? Is everyone so easily duped by the generic "best training camp ever, I feel great"?

Extreme weight cutting turns you into a walking corpse waiting to get put down by nature

most MMA fighters won't even make 1.5m in their careers, nevermind spending 1.5m on recovery.
Obviously, i'm not suggesting they spend anything near that, but relative to what they earn they can spend a percentage on recovery. I dont think its a priority for a lot of fighters is what i'm trying to say.

ur not saying eliminating weight cutting is the answer, are you? im not assuming anything, just axin

First off, what the fuck does “axin” mean?
And no, that won’t solve all the problems. I just think it’s the most major issue with a fighters performance during training camp. They train very hard, when your drained your body starts to shut down.

How do we know this? How can all injuries during fight week be random events? Certainly it's possible that these injuries existed before fight week and the fighters did their best to hide them, but how do we know that when you perform at peak performance while draining your body, that it doesn't lead to all these freak accidents?

It's too coincidental for me that fighters are falling out with severe injuries during fight week when they deplete their bodies. Why is no one making the connection? Is everyone so easily duped by the generic "best training camp ever, I feel great"?

When your a fighter you are trained to fight through an injury. All athletes on a high level have been told all there life to “suck it up.”

It really is not a great thing.

You ever played high school sports?

First off, what the fuck does “axin” mean?.

F5UJPX4ICPP2PXR.LARGE.gif

Because during fight week they arent spending all their time in the gym. They're out and about in the regular world where shit will fuck you up right quick.

Weight cutting needs to be abolished. Then there'd be no more last minute pullouts

the jessica penne thing seems to me like a planned tonya harding move

LOL
Have you ever taken an ice bath?
Of course not...maybe you’d do it for a $1000.

Increased weight cuts aswell as less desire to make it to fight night. Just like Juergen Kloop said you must know the difference between “real pain” and “only pain” there is a difference.
I’m sure some of the pullout merchants could fight if there lives depended on it.

Because during fight week they arent spending all their time in the gym. They're out and about in the regular world where shit will fuck you up right quick.

And where cables and speakers are waiting for you to make just one wrong move.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back