Will Gillespie be Super-Khabib's kryptonite?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
When Hendricks fought GSP, I felt like that fight might be THE fight to define GSP, because that fight in my opinion was on paper the toughest challenge for GSP's career, and still is in my opinion. Pre-USADA Hendricks in my book would wipe the floor with Woodley in my humble opinion, but unfortunately had to go to war with pre-USADA lawlor.\

Fighters career's can be defined by different things, like their abilities, skills, approach, wins and losses, but true champion can be also defined by the adversaries that they had to overcome. GSP, in my opinion lost that fight against Hendricks, though I never tried to rewatch and judge the fight again. But, what you saw is that, the heart of a champion in GSP, he came back strong.

In the same light, I felt the same about Weidman against Anderson. A true adversary, greatest challenge of Anderson's career, as a whole even. Anderson fought Cormier, but LHW Cormier doesn't have BJJ skills that Weidman does. I think Weidman is a special fighter who happened to compete at the deepest division of all time, when it was the weakest of all time when Anderson reigned. And you know what happened in that fight, a champion showed his true colors and got knocked the fudge out like a clown.

I mean, it looks like it might be Gillespie who would present the greatest challenge of Khabib's career, because like I said, match ups make everything. I think Khabib beats Fergusson due to superior wrestling, and I really think Khabib for whatever reason was able to face a lot of guys who doesnt have the top notch wrestling, and he didn't have a whole lot of top 10 wins either. He arguablly lost to pre-USADA tibau, and definitely struggled against Al Laquinte, both of whom isn't necessarily an elite wrestler. I think Khabib faced like a couple wrestlers, top notch ones, in his entire career.

Nope. When he fights people who actually have wrestling/grappling experience he will wilt

I’ll reserve judgement until I see him against top 10 with proven TD defense before thinking he can beat one of the very best fighters in the world.

Am I the only one thinking that Gillespie is just too small to become serious contender at 155?

Man, I wish Ben Askren could make 155. He'd blast through Gregor and have him helpless in under a minute.

Gillespie has great scrambles and Khabib is a master of control. He poses some interesting challenges to Khabib. However, he doesn't have the submission or striking skills to win the fight in that area. Khabib likely outgrapples him to a decision.

Could be. Gregor is a better wrestler and just as relentless. He is smaller tho but he does have better cardio. The question is how much will his age effect him, when does Khabib go to 170/65, how much can he keep improving and will Khabib opt out for Islam. Islam vs Gregz would be a great, great fight to make. I actually think Gregor beats a bunch of top ten fighters, steam rolls Barboza and very likely could beat Conor and Tony IMO.

If I never watched another Gillespie fight I would be okay with it.

I will never get why people believe that another wrestler is the one to beat Khabib.

Gillespie has great scrambles and Khabib is a master of control. He poses some interesting challenges to Khabib. However, he doesn't have the submission or striking skills to win the fight in that area. Khabib likely outgrapples him to a decision.

This is a good assessment

Could be. Gregor is a better wrestler and just as relentless. He is smaller tho but he does have better cardio. The question is how much will his age effect him, when does Khabib go to 170/65, how much can he keep improving and will Khabib opt out for Islam. Islam vs Gregz would be a great, great fight to make. I actually think Gregor beats a bunch of top ten fighters, steam rolls Barboza and very likely could beat Conor and Tony IMO.
He's not a better wrestler. Not by a long shot. He would get completely outclassed everywhere. Better cardio? How the fuck does he have better cardio? How many 5 rounds have you seen him in? Jesus you're reaching

I don't think the Gregor that fought Medeiros beats Khabib. He controlled the fight, but Medeiros isn't a fantastic grappler. I am sure he will improve though.

He's not a better wrestler. Not by a long shot. He would get completely outclassed everywhere. Better cardio? How the fuck does he have better cardio? How many 5 rounds have you seen him in? Jesus you're reaching

Based upon accomplishments Gregor is a better wrestler....
Khabib's striking is only sightly better than journeyman...
Gregor has never appeared even remotely tired in any of his 13 fights...

You just saying "he's not the better wrestler" doesn't make it true. Gregor may well be the better wrestler. Just because you don't know what you are seeing doesn't mean everyone is going buy into your strongly held views. Gregor has yet to slow down in any 3 rounders even at his crazy pace. Maybe he doesn't have better cardio thank Khabib, but he might.

But saying he'd be "completely outclassed" in the wrestling is actually the reach. He might be able to put Khabib on his back. The only concern is size, Gregor may be better suited for FW.

A big factor could be that Khabib is a humongous LW while Gillespie is a tiny LW.

If I never watched another Gillespie fight I would be okay with it.
That's no different from what it's like watching a Khabib snoozefest. Even when he 'destroys' people it's boring.

Back