DC vs Pride's Big 3... would he have done well?

Levi_

Silver Belt
Reaction score
I love DC; he is a great fighter, and a great guy. However, I am not so sure he belongs at the apex of the all-time HW list.

How meaningful was his win over Stipe? More meaningful if he could repeat it, or at least beat Stipe in a rematch. I am not so sure he could do that though; I am 60/40 against him being able to beat Stipe, or Cain/Werdum for that matter; those guys are tough matchups for DC.

In MMA, we have seen a number of fighters that got quick KO's when they were far lesser fighters and would never be able to repeat that performance; GSP/Serra and CC/Randleman being the most notable examples. I GET THAT THERE ISN'T THE SKILL DIFFERENCE between DC/Stipe as there are between those guys, so don't come flaming. I am just using that as an example to illustrate that DC's KO isn't necessarily a performance he could repeat, and he might lose in a Stipe rematch.

In any case, my question is, how would DC do against prime CC/Big Nog/Fedor? I don't see him matching up favorably against any of those guys, and wouldn't pick him to beat them. Remember, I am talking about when they were fighting in Pride back in the day, not when they went downhill later on.

He would have smashed Nog and Cro Cop

Him vs Fedor would’ve been 50/50 imo

I love DC; he is a great fighter, and a great guy. However, I am not so sure he belongs at the apex of the all-time HW list.

How meaningful was his win over Stipe? More meaningful if he could repeat it, or at least beat Stipe in a rematch. I am not so sure he could do that though; I am 60/40 against him being able to beat Stipe, or Cain/Werdum for that matter; those guys are tough matchups for DC.

In MMA, we have seen a number of fighters that got quick KO's when they were far lesser fighters and would never be able to repeat that performance; GSP/Serra and CC/Randleman being the most notable examples. I GET THAT THERE ISN'T THE SKILL DIFFERENCE between DC/Stipe as there are between those guys, so don't come flaming. I am just using that as an example to illustrate that DC's KO isn't necessarily a performance he could repeat, and he might lose in a Stipe rematch.

In any case, my question is, how would DC do against prime CC/Big Nog/Fedor? I don't see him matching up favorably against any of those guys, and wouldn't pick him to beat them. Remember, I am talking about when they were fighting in Pride back in the day, not when they went downhill later on.

I always thought Crocop would beat DC, because of the way DC goes for single legs and upper body throws. I think DC is too slow for Crocop and he seem to have weakness for a left kick...which CC is best at.

I think DC should be able to beat Nogueira.

I am not sure about Fedor.

Prime Big Nog taps him out after eating some huge shots that would kill a mere mortal. Crocop lands the LHK and Fedor gets the armbar in a sick grappling exchange....... wow went full Pride fan boy there lol

If DC started in MMA in his early 20's he'd be the GOAT.

That being said I think current DC beats 2/3, losing only to Fedor.

Prime Big Nog taps him out after eating some huge shots that would kill a mere mortal.

Nog has better boxing imo only way DC wins is if he dirty boxes and sticks to Nog like glue. He will win a boring decision, if he does win.

Prime Big Nog taps him out after eating some huge shots that would kill a mere mortal. Crocop lands the LHK and Fedor gets the armbar in a sick grappling exchange....... wow went full Pride fan boy there lol
This is what I think also. Nog was really hard to beat in his prime, and wrestlers matched up really poorly with him. His boxing was much better early on also. He was tough as nails, could take a hell of a beating and still come back and finish with a submission. Dc would be in constant danger of submission on the ground.

Nostalgia bias is a real thing.

Fedor in a ring (not cage) is the only one who would have a good chance.

I think just the opposite- the bias is with a guy who just won a couple of fights. The HW division is incredibly weak these days; much easier to look impressive.

Quit with this bullshit "if" . If he started MMA early in his 20s, He wouldn't have the wresting pedigree he has now. He could be just another Roy Nelson for all we know if started MMA in his 20s.

DC probably beats all of them, Fedor and Cro Cop wouldn’t be able to stop the takedown and Nog wouldn’t be able to take DC down and would get worked on the feet.

DC probably beats all of them, Fedor and Cro Cop wouldn’t be able to stop the takedown and Nog wouldn’t be able to take DC down and would get worked on the feet.

Nog doesn't get worked on his feet. The TD was never a threat to Nog, and he boxed like it.

And I love DC.

All 3 beat DC. Gotta remember Cro Cop gets his supplements and supplemented Cro Cop >>>>>>>>>>> regulated Cro Cop.

"Recency bias" is the phenomenon of a person most easily remembering something that has happened recently, compared to remembering something that may have occurred a while back.

I'd agree with that.

DC would have been Fedor level if he'd started training in his 20's, as you said. That would have made DC vs Fedor, both in their primes, possibly the greatest matchup of all time. We have been denied :(

Quit with this bullshit "if" . If he started MMA early in his 20s, He wouldn't have the wresting pedigree he has now. He could be just another Roy Nelson for all we know if started MMA in his 20s.
He was 25 when he competed in his first Olympics. Had he committed to MMA then I think he would've been just fine.

He was 25 when he competed in his first Olympics. Had he committed to MMA then I think he would've been just fine.

Uh he wouldn't have the wresting background that he does now. That's what made him.

Back