What Should the Requirements be for Fighters Who Want a Second Title?

Sansnom

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
With all the jumping around bullshit that has been going around lately, what would your requirements be for a fighter who wishes to fight for a title in another weight class?

Mine would be a minimum of 3 title defenses in your own weight class.

With Conor getting an immediate title shot with no defenses, TJ fighting for another title in a division that is most likely going disappear after just a single title defense and all the other fighters asking for title shots left and right and even aiming for a 3rd title without having fought any of the contenders in 2 other divisions, the importance of winning a title has greatly diminished.

What would be your mininum requirement?

Remember when most fighters goal was to build their legacy and gain as much title defense they possibly could while proving without a shred of a doubt that they were the best in their weight class? GSP, Silva, Aldo etc? Well.

dMWcDn3.gif

I might give Jon Jones a lot of shit for being a steroid using cheat but as much as I dislike the guy, I respect the fact that he's probably the only fighter in this era that is looking to build a real legacy (Not a "legacy" aka winning meaningless titles) and defends against all the up and comers without bitching and whining about it.

DC is probably the other exception. With his title defenses at LHW he at least earned the right to fight for a second belt. Especially since he was a dominant HW in the past.

Champ of other division also had to defend once

Public poll for fans to pick next opponent (scratch that, voting is bot controlled)

Champ vs champ ISN'T a superfight.

Long reigning champ vs long reigning champ IS a superfight.

Vacate their belt and leave the division. I don't see why the UFC has been endorsing them so much. They've been making up interim belts to headline PPVs because they don't have enough real champs available.

Significant Twitter follower count. That is all.

multiple title defenses in their original division, with no obvious top contender remaining, and a contractual commitment to either defend both belts if they win, or to vacate the first one and stay in the division where they won the 2nd one as soon as a title fight in the old division is set up.

Remember when Anderson Silva vs GSP was the absolute dream for MMA fans? The UFC seriously fucked up by not putting that fight together when they were still in their primes.

Champ of other division also had to defend once

Public poll for fans to pick next opponent (scratch that, voting is bot controlled)
I don't think it matters for the fighter who is defending. As long as he is defending.

In a perfect world, anyone who wants a shot at another title should beat the top contender in that division AND have at least a couple title defenses in their own division. But having at least 3 title defenses in their own division before getting a second title is a good comprimise I think. With that being said,

Conor fighting for a second belt = Bullshit
TJ fighting for a second belt (possibly even a 3rd) = Bullshit
Nunes asking for another shot at 125 for a 3rd belt = Bullshit

Fighters these days can't even prove that they are the best in their own weight class by defending and are immediately calling for title shots in other divisions.

Lots and lots of IG followers, be able to talk trash till the cows come home, personality disorder (at least one)........... History of PED abuse would help........ Pro Company..........list goes on

You're a terrible poster. I have not seen a single good post coming from you in any thread. Might have to put you on ignore.
Do it, I bet you won’t.

Also
Like I said. No minimum. Box office, make it happen

multiple title defenses in their original division, with no obvious top contender remaining, and a contractual commitment to either defend both belts if they win, or to vacate the first one and stay in the division where they won the 2nd one as soon as a title fight in the old division is set up.

Came in to say something similar to this.

However:
"It's in my contract I have to fight Robert Whitaker"

<31><36>

The requirements should be what they are now, be a reigning champ, make weight and win.

Canelo beating Rocky Fielding in his first and only Super MW title didn't seem to bother any boxing fans so I don't really see why some MMA fans are bothered about it in MMA.
The only downside of all the Champ Champ stuff is holding up one belt so strip them of one of them, that was done to DC and the LHW belt it was only really Conor who held the 145 lb division up.

Lots and lots of IG followers, be able to talk trash till the cows come home, personality disorder (at least one)........... History of PED abuse would help........ Pro Company..........list goes on
Also, at least one count of assault/battery on record within 1 year of the title shot. Drug test failures count as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back