If Chael Sonnen would have beaten Jones where would you have ranked him on the all time LHW rankings

BerrySmartGuy2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Chael had Jones in trouble in their first match. In the end Chael got the lose but Jones almost lost his toe. So where would you guys have ranked him if he would have won?

No change. A lucky win via freak injury doesn't change the fact he was getting obliterated.

Well if he'd won by the toe break then not particularly highly I think, given that there would almost certainly have been a rematch that Chael would have lost decisively

If? What do you mean.

GOAT gonna GOAT.

Chael had Jones in trouble in their first match. In the end Chael got the lose but Jones almost lost his toe. So where would you guys have ranked him if he would have won?
Lol at "Chael had Jon in trouble". Jon ripped his own toe almost off digging in to get more leaverage to contine smashing Chaels head in and didn't even notice until Rogan pointed it out to him in the post fight interview.

Winning by Dr. Stoppage (which may not have happened if Jones cornerman obstructed the commissioner view of it) would have left Chaels all time LHW status in the same place it was before that, non existent.

It would have ended up like Vitor and Randy. Vitor gets the belt off a freak injury, there's a rematch, then gets utterly dominated. Same would have happened with Sonnen, if Sonnen lasts another 27 seconds and wins the belt they'd be a big rematch, sell a few PPV's, they'd be a few troll threads calling Sonnen the GOAT and then Sonnen would have gotten his ass kicked again.

No Jones v Gus fight though.

Chael is lucky he can "trash talk" otherwise he'd be crushing rookies in hotel conference rooms in the PNW

Lol at "Chael had Jon in trouble". Jon ripped his own toe almost off digging in to get more leaverage to contine smashing Chaels head in and didn't even notice until Rogan pointed it out to him in the post fight interview.

Winning by Dr. Stoppage (which may not have happened if Jones cornerman obstructed the commissioner view of it) would have left Chaels all time LHW status in the same place it was before that, non existent.

Chael's will and not letting up is what forced Jones to use more force which caused his toe to get messed up, so yeah Chael did have Jones in trouble. Chael has a strong will to win but Jones was just the better man that night. Look what he did to Shogun. Chael is elite

Chael's will and not letting up is what forced Jones to use more force which caused his toe to get messed up, so yeah Chael did have Jones in trouble. Chael has a strong will to win but Jones was just the better man that night. Look what he did to Shogun. Chael is elite
Lol. I'll admit he did catch Shogun on the right night but he doesn't have a strong "will to win" ( the guy gives up at the slightest sign of trouble and always has, he's the definition of a front runner) and he had nothing to do with Jones twisting awkwardly while posturing up.

Look what Rashad did to him, or Tito, or Horn x 3, or Babalu or Anderson or Maia or Fedor..... Need I continue?

What if Sonnen beat Anderson 50-45 and never popped hot?

Better question

I guess he’d be on stand still until he got ruined in the rematch?

I was just thinking yesterday about how hilarious it would've been if he made it out of the first round against Jones. There's no way they'd let him fight with his toe practically hanging off, and Chael would have won via TKO and been the new champ haha.

I don't know why this hypothetical is even entertained. Sure, Chael would ride the situation out until the wheels fell off because he has nothing better else to do, but almost no one would legitimately hold Chael in a higher regard. This is an Okami-Silva 1 or Jones-Matt type situation.

Since Jones was the champ, a rematch would be scheduled immediately following his toe healing so Chael would have either relinquished the belt for it to go up for grabs (Jones being the number 1 contender of course challenging whomever, Gus or Glover) or get slaughtered by Jones.

Back