Lesser of two evils? Problems in boxing vs mma ?

Vincentsky

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Each has its own problems and BS but which in your opinion is the lesser ?

Boxing Cons
Promoters linked to fighters directly
easy to manipulate scoring
Common padded records
Common back door deals and payoffs
Different rule sets for different governing bodies

Boxing Pros
More structured ranking system
Fighters fight better opponents based on records to move up and earn title shot
Champions must defend against the highest ranked contender or vacate the belt

MMA cons (UFC)
Promoter has complete authority over both the athletic and financial elements of the sport
Popularity has more influence on rankings and title shots than actual skill level
marketability outweighs experience upon signing new fighters

MMA pros ( UFC)
Scoring for the most part seems legit without many robberies or questionable decisions
Hard to create a padded record
Not common to see fighters take dives or limit their success/ failure based on rounds or rematch potential

(I know not everything is true 100% of the time but it is imo very common to see these things in both sports. I’m also aware some of these Contradict each other ex. padded records-better ranking system )

The real question is- in which sport are we really seeing the highest level fights in which the best of the best are competing against each other ?
AND
Which is less susceptible to financial gains one or way another corrupting the level of competition or the results in what we are watching?

Last edited:
MMA is less corrupt because it's not as old and not as bet friendly. As far as the actual fights are concerned. PED stuff and other shady business is always going to be there. But as a fight contest MMA is leaps and bounds cleaner than boxing

Each has its own problems and BS but which in your opinion is the lesser ?

Boxing Cons
Promoters linked to fighters directly
easy to manipulate scoring
Common padded records
Common back door deals and payoffs
Different rule sets for different governing bodies

Boxing Pros
More structured ranking system
Fighters fight better opponents based on records to move up and earn title shot
Champions must defend against the highest ranked contender or vacate the belt

MMA cons (UFC)
Promoter has complete authority over both the athletic and financial elements of the sport
Popularity has more influence on rankings and title shots than actual skill level
marketability outweighs experience upon signing new fighters

MMA pros ( UFC)
Scoring for the most part seems legit without many robberies or questionable decisions
Hard to create a padded record
Not common to see fighters take dives or limit their success/ failure based on rounds or rematch potential

(I know not everything is true 100% of the time but it is imo very common to see these things in both sports. I’m also aware some of these Contradict each other ex. padded records-better ranking system )

The real question is- in which sport are we really seeing the highest level fights in which the best of the best are competing against each other ?

Which is less susceptible to financial gains one or way another corrupting the level of competition or the results in what we are watching?

giphy.gif

MMA is less corrupt because it's not as old and not as bet friendly. As far as the actual fights are concerned. PED stuff and other shady business is always going to be there. But as a fight contest MMA is leaps and bounds cleaner than boxing
I agree on the outcome of the fight side. But what about regarding talent do you believe we are seeing the best fighting the best in UFC ?
Or is it possible that the ranking system and title defence structure in boxing is more effective regarding level of competition ?

This. With time (and more money), MMA will potentially reach boxing-levels of corruption.

Jarl

Should champs having to face #1 contender in boxing be a pro? Seems like multiple champs have been able to avoid the toughest match ups for years. The quality of match-ups being made in mma is a lot better Imo.

Mcgreggor came in fucked things up a little, but now he’s gone, thank goodness. In the long run it’s better to keep the sport clean of controversy.

Boxing promoters linked to fighters directly? Only the top fighters are, everyone else is cross promotion. Just look at the common opponents the top boxers have. It's far worse in MMA as all of the promoters sign you to exclusive deals and there is no cross promotion fighting.

Different rule sets for different governing bodies - really? Such as? MMA has different rule sets in different promotions AND it has them in different locations withing the SAME promotion.

Champions must defend against the highest ranked contender or vacate the belt - lol no. At some point they have a mandatory challenger but not for every fight. You clearly don't follow boxing. Voluntary defences are a thing and are very common.

MMA and boxing judges are the SAME PEOPLE. You get shitty scoring in both.

I'm not sure you really though some of these out.

The major pro/con difference is that the promoters aren't also the ranking body and people who give belts out in boxing. Boxing cross promotion is possible.
MMA is pretty much just the UFC. No boxing promoter has anything like the same level of dominance. Sure Bellator, ONE, Rizin etc exist but a top 10 at any weight class is dominated by the UFC.

Mcgreggor came in fucked things up a little, but now he’s gone, thank goodness. In the long run it’s better to keep the sport clean of controversy.
You cant blame mcgregor for this. He set a new standard for what money a fighter could make and naturally used that power to control his career and the ufc would move mountains to keep him happy. If it wasnt conor it would have been someone else. Its an evolution that had to happen some day when the money got that high.

Boxing promoters linked to fighters directly? Only the top fighters are, everyone else is cross promotion. Just look at the common opponents the top boxers have. It's far worse in MMA as all of the promoters sign you to exclusive deals and there is no cross promotion fighting.

Different rule sets for different governing bodies - really? Such as? MMA has different rule sets in different promotions AND it has them in different locations withing the SAME promotion.

Champions must defend against the highest ranked contender or vacate the belt - lol no. At some point they have a mandatory challenger but not for every fight. You clearly don't follow boxing. Voluntary defences are a thing and are very common.

MMA and boxing judges are the SAME PEOPLE. You get shitty scoring in both.

I'm not sure you really though some of these out.

The major pro/con difference is that the promoters aren't also the ranking body and people who give belts out in boxing. Boxing cross promotion is possible.
MMA is pretty much just the UFC. No boxing promoter has anything like the same level of dominance. Sure Bellator, ONE, Rizin etc exist but a top 10 at any weight class is dominated by the UFC.

1. Promotes linked to fighters directly as in individually as opposed to ufc which promotes and governs all the fighters under the same umbrella

2. It was in regards to the UFC in particular.
If you are unaware of different rule sets, regulations and ranking system each boxing governing body has you can check them on the websites for each I don’t have time for that.

3. I never said for any fight I said to remain champion. And I am well aware of voluntary defence. Either you don’t understand boxing your self or you misunderstood my meaning. From the WBO website-

Each WBO World Champion except in the Heavyweight Division shall defend his title at intervals not greater than nine (9) months counting from the date of the acquisition thereof or from the last compulsory defense, as the case may be, in a twelve (12) round fight, against the Mandatory Challenger, as determined by the Championship Committee according to these Regulations, unless an exception is made pursuant to these Regulations. For reasons unique to the Heavyweight Division, the WBO World Champion in the Heavyweight Division shall defend his title at intervals not greater than twelve (12) months counting from the date of the acquisition thereof or from the last compulsory defense as the case may be in a twelve (12) round fight, against the Mandatory Challenger, as determined by the Championship Committee according to these Regulations, unless an exception is made pursuant to these Regulations.

(b) In the interim period, the World Champion may defend the title against any contender classified within the fifteen (15) best by the World Boxing Organization, always with the approval of the World Championships Committee.

(c) The WBO World Championship Committee may, in its discretion, vacate a Champion’s title (including the Heavyweight Division) regardless of cause or fault if the Champion fails to defend his title within a nine (9) month period. This decision will be final unless appealed to the Grievance Committee within ten (10) days of Notification to the Champion as provided for in these Rules. A Champion so stripped of his Title shall be classified using the WBO rating criteria, and he shall be classified in his division or in such other weight division as the Classifications Committee for good cause determines, provided that he has complied with the WBO and ABC rating criteria.

(d) No WBO Champion may hold titles in more than one Weight Division. If a WBO Champion wins a WBO Championship in a higher or lower division, the WBO Champion shall have Ten (10) Days to determine which Weight Division the WBO Champion will retain. The other Weight Division will be declared vacant.

(e) In any circumstance in which a Mandatory Defense does not occur within the designated time period, the World Championship Committee may order an Interim Championship between contenders determined by the World Championship Committee.

4. Again I am well aware it is scored by the same people. It is simply easier to manipulate the scoring in boxing, hence why there a lot more shocking results in boxing then there are in mma.

Last edited:
1. Promotes linked to fighters directly as in individually as opposed to ufc which promotes and governs all the fighters under the same umbrella

2. It was in regards to the UFC in particular.
If you are unaware of different rule sets, regulations and ranking system each boxing governing body has you can check them on the websites for each I don’t have time for that.

3. I never said for any fight I said to remain champion. And I am well aware of voluntary defence. Either you don’t understand boxing your self or you misunderstood my meaning. From the WBO website-

Each WBO World Champion except in the Heavyweight Division shall defend his title at intervals not greater than nine (9) months counting from the date of the acquisition thereof or from the last compulsory defense, as the case may be, in a twelve (12) round fight, against the Mandatory Challenger, as determined by the Championship Committee according to these Regulations, unless an exception is made pursuant to these Regulations. For reasons unique to the Heavyweight Division, the WBO World Champion in the Heavyweight Division shall defend his title at intervals not greater than twelve (12) months counting from the date of the acquisition thereof or from the last compulsory defense as the case may be in a twelve (12) round fight, against the Mandatory Challenger, as determined by the Championship Committee according to these Regulations, unless an exception is made pursuant to these Regulations.

(b) In the interim period, the World Champion may defend the title against any contender classified within the fifteen (15) best by the World Boxing Organization, always with the approval of the World Championships Committee.

(c) The WBO World Championship Committee may, in its discretion, vacate a Champion’s title (including the Heavyweight Division) regardless of cause or fault if the Champion fails to defend his title within a nine (9) month period. This decision will be final unless appealed to the Grievance Committee within ten (10) days of Notification to the Champion as provided for in these Rules. A Champion so stripped of his Title shall be classified using the WBO rating criteria, and he shall be classified in his division or in such other weight division as the Classifications Committee for good cause determines, provided that he has complied with the WBO and ABC rating criteria.

(d) No WBO Champion may hold titles in more than one Weight Division. If a WBO Champion wins a WBO Championship in a higher or lower division, the WBO Champion shall have Ten (10) Days to determine which Weight Division the WBO Champion will retain. The other Weight Division will be declared vacant.

(e) In any circumstance in which a Mandatory Defense does not occur within the designated time period, the World Championship Committee may order an Interim Championship between contenders determined by the World Championship Committee.

4. Again I am well aware it is scored by the same people. It is simply easier to manipulate the scoring in boxing, hence why there a lot more shocking results in boxing then there are in mma.

1. That still makes no sense. The promoter link is the same but in boxing cross promotions happen as exclusive deals are rare. The problem with boxing is promoters who have exclusive tv deals.

2. Nothing like the differences with MMA. Standing 8 count and.... The UFC doesn't even have the same rules they vary from state to state. Your thread was boxing vs mma and not boxing vs UFC. Although there is a range for the size of a boxing ring it's always square and with ropes. What are the rules for where MMA is even fought? There aren't any rules, it's fought in whatever a promoter wants, cage, octagon, hexagon, ring, circular cage, wierd ring/cage combo..... anything they want and any size they like.

3. Well you'e stepping back on what you initially said so make up your mind. Quoting the criteria for each sanctioning body is wonderful but pointless. Joshua vs Wilder will never be a mandatory as none of the sanctioning bodies rank a champion from another sanctioning body. Any independent ranking would have them and #1 and #2 but they never have to fight to remain champion.

4. That's just nonsense. Look at how many threads here there are with "I've just rewatched...... the judges were wrong....."

Back