2023 Recap and Analysis

BigSteve

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
2022 End of Year https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/2022-end-of-year-betting-review.4269917/

Something different for the recap this year. Not much I would like to improve so I won't write a wall of text for this one.

I will still be gambling these last two weeks, thought now was a good time to recap regardless.

Results to date: 54,234 = 39.5u. 2024 goal = 100k

Staking and discipline always need work, that will never change. I upped my units to 1.5k in March and hopefully by 2024 I will feel more
comfortable with placing 2u shots on confident spots.
No matter how you twist it 3k seems a lot for one bet. I placed 3k on Bo to win in round 1 against Pickett, and since then not one 2u bet.
Passed on Rinat, Parnasse, and a few others off the top of my head.
My boy @Sadistics reduced back to 1k this year for that reason. I will leave things how they are for now.

Generally, I am happy with my style. This is my second year betting full time and despite some stressful moments, it was generally smooth.
The results are slightly worse.
Last year I had one losing month, this year 2. Last two years results have been 45u and 47u. I found the bookies to be drastically sharper this year.

My reads and experience are top notch and I feel like I have reached another level after 6 years of doing this.
The main area of focus next year will be balance. Doing gambling full time you can get carried away and burn out, like every job.
I haven't experienced this before because I always had a full-time job, hobbies etc to use as balance. Now I'm less social, and party less.
It's up to me to take a break, which is hard because I am truly obsessed.
If not the mental is not there and tilt sets in, which was the main bankroll killer.

Here is a short video I did regarding avoiding tilt on my channel:

The first time in April I had personal matters that titled me. In September I burned myself out after coming back from holiday.
Lost over 7k which was my worst month in years. The first event in DEC I also had a ton of personal stuff going on and had my worst event to date, losing 6.1k and every single bet ( impressive ).
Safe to say when things start going wrong it's important to take a break and move away from the computer.
For that reason, balance will be the main area of improvement.
It's a marathon, not a sprint.

If anyone cares about my in-depth recap for 2023, I will be going live tomorrow on my channel:

Otherwise happy holidays and good luck for 2024.

https://launchpass.com/big-brain/bets

Last edited:
2022 End of Year https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/2022-end-of-year-betting-review.4269917/

Something different for the recap this year. Not much I would like to improve so I won't write a wall of text for this one.

I will still be gambling these last two weeks, thought now was a good time to recap regardless.

Results to date: 54,234 = 39.5u. 2024 goal = 100k

Staking and discipline always need work, that will never change. I upped my units to 1.5k in March and hopefully by 2024 I will feel more
comfortable with placing 2u shots on confident spots.
No matter how you twist it 3k seems a lot for one bet. I placed 3k on Bo to win in round 1 against Pickett, and since then not one 2u bet.
Passed on Rinat, Parnasse, and a few others off the top of my head.
My boy @Sadistics reduced back to 1k this year for that reason. I will leave things how they are for now.

Generally, I am happy with my style. This is my second year betting full time and despite some stressful moments, it was generally smooth.
The results are slightly worse.
Last year I had one losing month, this year 2. Last two years results have been 45u and 47u. I found the bookies to be drastically sharper this year.

My reads and experience are top notch and I feel like I have reached another level after 6 years of doing this.
The main area of focus next year will be balance. Doing gambling full time you can get carried away and burn out, like every job.
I haven't experienced this before because I always had a full-time job, hobbies etc to use as balance. Now I'm less social, and party less.
It's up to me to take a break, which is hard because I am truly obsessed.
If not the mental is not there and tilt sets in, which was the main bankroll killer.

Here is a short video I did regarding avoiding tilt on my channel:

The first time in April I had personal matters that titled me. In September I burned myself out after coming back from holiday.
Lost over 7k which was my worst month in years. The first event in DEC I also had a ton of personal stuff going on and had my worst event to date, losing 6.1k and every single bet ( impressive ).
Safe to say when things start going wrong it's important to take a break and move away from the computer.
For that reason, balance will be the main area of improvement.
It's a marathon, not a sprint.

If anyone cares about my in-depth recap for 2023, I will be going live tomorrow on my channel:

Otherwise happy holidays and good luck for 2024.

https://launchpass.com/big-brain/bets

If you weren’t looking for feedback, then apologies and disregard, but I took a look over your tracked bets and noticed you lost 3.2u in 2023 on ‘Straight Picks’. This was odd to me because you made 19.5u on ‘Straight Picks’ in 2022 so you clearly have the necessary reads to turn a profit betting moneylines when you apply yourself, but for whatever you lost units betting moneylines this past year.

Perhaps this is a byproduct of the majority of those tracked money line bets being underdogs? I understand you are in the content game and underdogs are what bring in followers/fans/customers, but maybe in 2024 put forward a few less underdogs and more slight to moderate favorites that you believe have value? I think this would almost certainly ensure you are back in the green on ‘Straight Picks’ in 2024.

I understand money lines may not be your forte but no professional MMA bettor who is putting in the necessary time and effort should be in the red on Straight Picks ever, for any reason, especially when you are up nearly 40 units on the year. That says to me you are putting in the work and acquiring the necessary information but then falling short when it comes time to apply that knowledge you have consolidated.

Haven't kept a spreadsheet but crushed boxing in 2023. Got my kitchen and bathroom done thanks to that

Slight profit on UFC but i dont follow it anywhere near as much as i used to.

Appreciate those that post their thoughts week in week out on here. Forum popularity is dying but hope we can keep sherdog betting strong a while longer yet

Congrats on the success man. Every time I decide to up my unit size I keep getting crushed.

If you weren’t looking for feedback, then apologies and disregard, but I took a look over your tracked bets and noticed you lost 3.2u in 2023 on ‘Straight Picks’. This was odd to me because you made 19.5u on ‘Straight Picks’ in 2022 so you clearly have the necessary reads to turn a profit betting moneylines when you apply yourself, but for whatever you lost units betting moneylines this past year.

Perhaps this is a byproduct of the majority of those tracked money line bets being underdogs? I understand you are in the content game and underdogs are what bring in followers/fans/customers, but maybe in 2024 put forward a few less underdogs and more slight to moderate favorites that you believe have value? I think this would almost certainly ensure you are back in the green on ‘Straight Picks’ in 2024.

I understand money lines may not be your forte but no professional MMA bettor who is putting in the necessary time and effort should be in the red on Straight Picks ever, for any reason, especially when you are up nearly 40 units on the year. That says to me you are putting in the work and acquiring the necessary information but then falling short when it comes time to apply that knowledge you have consolidated.
Always looking for feedback no need to apologize. My BetMMA is a bit all over the place it is full of mistakes and I stopped posting on it for weeks. If anything tracking my picks there is because people care so much about the website so I reluctantly use it. I don't consider myself a dog kind of guy and don't really care about content, my style has been molded after 6 years of betting. I do find it easier to bet dogs, due to perceived value on my own brain, and if the fav is a big fav I usually parlay to reduce risk. Thanks for the feedback

Back