2021 Heavies Awards: Event of the Year: Winner - UFC 268

Event of the Year

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
UFC 268: Usman vs. Covington 2

VJtRYSc.jpg

UFC 268 saw 2 rematches both for the belt. Welterweight champ Kamara Usman defended his title against two time challenger Colby Covington with a unanimous decision victory. Women's SW champ Rose Namajunas was able to defeat challenger Zhang Welli for the second time via UD. Justin Gaethje vs. Michael Chandler won FOTN. And there were 4 POTN handed out to Marlon Vera, Alex Pereira, Bobby Green, and Chris Barnett.

UnpleasantTightKestrel-size_restricted.gif

TerribleFlawlessDeviltasmanian-size_restricted.gif

SourFreeIndianelephant-size_restricted.gif

PlayfulJadedAndeancondor-size_restricted.gif

DampDazzlingKoala-size_restricted.gif

AbsoluteEvergreenArchaeocete-size_restricted.gif

v4W739j.jpg

UFC Fight Night: Holloway vs. Rodríguez

0Aw2iOV.jpg

The main event between Holloway and Rodriguez was a hard fought back and forth battle between two of the FW divisions best fighters. Max Holloway defeated Yair Rodriguez via unanimous decision in what was deemed the FOTN. Khaos Williams defeated Miguel Baeza via TKO in the 3rd round picking up a POTN bonus in the process. And Andrea Lee won a POTN for her TKO (corner stoppage) win over Cynthia Calvillo in the 2nd round.​

TenseSilverKob-size_restricted.gif

GloriousIdioticLeafcutterant-size_restricted.gif

ResponsibleSameFairyfly-size_restricted.gif

N4qkkLr.jpg

UFC 269: Oliveira vs. Poirier

1jxJXkM.png

Two more titles were on the line for the UFC's final PPV of the year. UFC 269 saw LW champ Charles Oliveira successfully defend his belt against challenger Dustin Poirier who lost via RNC in the 3rd round. And in what was probably the biggest upset of the year, Julianna Peña defeated Amanda Nunes via RNC in the 2nd round. Dominick Cruz vs. Pedro Munhoz picked up FOTN honors while six fighters were awarded POTN bonuses. Both Oliveira and Pena picked up a bonus for their title fights. Kai Kara-France, Sean O'Malley, Tai Tuivasa, and Bruno Silva also were awarded POTN.

ColdPiercingIggypops-size_restricted.gif

LeadingFreshBernesemountaindog-size_restricted.gif

DismalOptimisticFunnelweaverspider-size_restricted.gif

SpeedyTenderAnnashummingbird-size_restricted.gif

DigitalDecimalChinchilla-size_restricted.gif

bozoj2J.jpg

Check out Sherdog.com Staff Members pick for Event of the Year here

special thanks to @KazDibiase for the gifs.

I believe Rose won by SD, not UD.

Voted for UFC 268. I was pumped up and it delivered. Usman & Rose defended their belts. Hespected the performances of Covington and Weili in their losses too. Gaethje vs. Chandler was the absolute banger we anticipated. Bobby Green amazing with that crazy spinning leg kick to the face KO. Pereira's athleticism really impressive.

UFC 259: Blachowicz vs Adesnaya is my pick. That's the only superfight of the past year. Two very unexpected outcomes for the main event and the bw title fight. Amanda won by a very rare submission. Prelims delivered.

Other than I was very fond of UFC 262: Oliveira vs Chandler. Possibly the best title fight of the year for as long as it lasted. It had the submission of the year and one of the wierdest knockouts in Batboza vs Burghos, also that is one of the best fights of the ear,

268 for me. Both title fights were awesome scraps. Usman Vs Colby 2 was def a classic and suitable follow up to their OG fight.

Weili vs rose was fun as well. Despite not really caring for this rematch it was definitely more of what I was expecting than the first fight was and was really enjoyable.

Chandler Vs Justin was JBG worthy

This was also the card that had Chris Barrett’s spinning wheel kick on it. AND Chris curtis’ fight which was super memorable.

There was also the Vera vs Edgar fight which hurt to watch but really built Vera as a villain.

I remember Burgos Vs billy was a fun scrap too. One of those cards I could watch start to finish for a second time and enjoy the whole card.
This

10/10

Back