Economy 12 Years and $34 Billion Later, Canada's Trans Mountain Pipeline Expansion Is Set To Complete.

and start by Nationalizing our Water first as water is more expensive per litre than gas and we give it away while Nestle and others bottle it and make billions.

Why? Because again, misguided Lefties think selling water is wrong and they shame any gov't that tries to profit off of commercializing it. So no gov't will touch it. And that leaves communities across the country getting only tiny tax revenue form their water reserves and they then sell off the rights to draw 'surplus' water to these multinationals for minimal amounts because to these small town gov'ts it money they would not get otherwise. Those companies receive billions often paying cities thousands.

If we Nationalized water and ported all the surplus to California and Arizona and other US States via pipelines Canada would be far richer country than Norway.

Water is only more expensive than oil if you are comparing the cost of bottled water at the store, but we already get cheap high quality tap water for cheap.

If Canada was to sell water to the states we wouldn't be getting anywhere close to what bottled water costs. Bottled water is a rip-off

Canada’s Oil, Gas Industry Trailing U.S. Even More, Says Fraser Institute
Gordon Jaremko May 8, 2019​

The Canadian fossil fuel industry is taking a long fall into becoming a poor cousin to its peer in the United States, according to an annual review of the North American energy scene by the Fraser Institute.

Sharp national contrasts between stagnation and growth show in economic statistics compiled by the private research agency’s report, “Investment in the Canadian and U.S. Oil and Gas Sectors, A Tale of Diverging Fortunes.”

“Whereas capital expenditures in the upstream segment -- production and exploration -- were around 41% higher for the U.S. when comparing 2018 to 2016, they were only about 15% higher in Canada.”

Canadian industry spending touched bottom at C$41.9 billion ($31.4 billion) in 2016, recovered to C$51.8 billion ($38.8 billion) in 2017, but shrank to C$50.7 billion ($38 billion) in 2018, Fraser researchers said.

The U.S. total grew consistently from C$197.9 billion ($148.4 billion) in 2016 to C$215.2 billion ($161.4 billion) in 2017 and C$239.3 billion ($179.5 billion) in 2018, data indicated.

The contrast between sluggish Canada and the bustling United States also showed on the drilling activity barometer of fossil fuel industry vigor, the annual review noted.

In the United States, the active rig count increased by 18% in 2018 to 1,032 from 876 in 2017. Meanwhile, in Canada the count dropped by 7% to 191 in 2018 from 206 in 2017.

The contrast is becoming sharper this year.

“Rig counts for the first six weeks of 2019 relative to the same period in 2018 show a 33.5% drop in Canada and a 12.1% increase in the U.S.,” researchers said.

Investor surveys show the contrast too.

“Of the 10 most attractive jurisdictions in 2018 for investment in petroleum exploration and development, eight were U.S. states and one was the offshore Gulf of Mexico. The only jurisdiction outside the U.S. making the top ten list was the UK North Sea.”

Fraser’s researchers recited producer and investor explanations that oil and gas consistently fetched lower prices in Canada than in the United States because production surpluses have piled up behind pipeline projects stalled by public, political and legal opposition.

The Alberta oil benchmark Western Canada Select has endured annual average discounts of US$11.90-26.40/bbl below the West Texas Intermediate standard in the United States. Western Canadian natural gas lately goes for 60-70% below U.S. levels.

“Numerous ongoing reviews and changes to provincial and federal regulatory systems that create uncertainty for oil and gas companies are also prominent concerns of Canadian oil and gas executives and asset managers,” said researchers.

“In the absence of substantive changes to government policies affecting Canada’s oil and gas sector, it is difficult to see any abatement in the drift of investment to U.S. oil-producing locations and away from Canadian locations.”

https://www.naturalgasintel.com/art...as-industry-trailing-us-even-more-says-fraser

Record high gas prices in Vancouver a taste of the future without TMX
Licia Corbella | May 10, 2019

gas-prices-bc-20190507.jpg

While visiting family in Vancouver recently, my sister actually called me to say that on her drive home from our mom’s house, she noticed gas prices had dropped significantly to — wait for it — $1.58.9.

“If there’s room in your gas tank you should take advantage of this low price,” she said.

She wasn’t being facetious. That was indeed a very good price and, as luck would have it, my son and I passed that gas station within 15 minutes, so we filled the almost-empty tank.

Earlier that week I had reluctantly put in just $30 worth of gas rather than fill up my son’s gas tank, because the price for a litre of fuel at that time in Vancouver was $1.72.9 per litre. In recent weeks, the price has reached as high as $1.78.9 cents in Metro Vancouver — the highest in North America.

As an Albertan, the pain caused by the hit to my wallet was dulled somewhat by the knowledge that British Columbians are getting a taste of what their anti-pipeline future will look like. As the fella in the Honda Civic behind me grumbled that he was limiting his fuel purchase to just $10 while waiting for prices to go down, even a little, I felt emboldened by my son’s B.C. licence plate and said: “We need the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion to be built.” He nodded unenthusiastically.

Those anti-pipeline folk who say the TMX expansion won’t help lower Vancouver’s gas prices are full of hot gas. The TMX is one of the few pipelines that can and does switch the products it transports, and refined gasoline and diesel is moved in it.

What sound facts and arguments haven’t been able to do to convince British Columbians about the need for increased oil and gas supply to B.C., just might be accomplished by the significant hit to their bank accounts.

On Tuesday, B.C. Premier John Horgan asked the B.C. Utilities Commission to investigate why gas prices in the province have risen more sharply than the rest of the country.

“What British Columbians do not understand and cannot accept is a situation where the price of gasoline, correcting for differences in tax rates, gets increasingly out of line with the prices in the rest of Canada,” Horgan wrote.

Well, here’s hoping this column will help him and B.C. citizens understand things a bit better and not accept the status quo.

The reasons for Vancouver’s record-breaking gas prices are numerous. Let’s start with taxes.

According to data from the Kent Group, which analyzes energy costs and volumes, the average price for a litre of gasoline in Vancouver in April was $1.67.4. Vancouver has a gasoline transit tax of 17 cents per litre that’s expected to increase to 18.5 cents per litre soon. In total, taxes account for 52.4 cents of the cost of a litre of gas — the single largest cost component of every litre sold.

The average crude cost in April was 51 cents, the marketing margin (what the retailer gets) was 12 cents and the refiner’s operating margin was a hefty 52 cents — a big take but still less than what the taxman takes.

By contrast, the cost for a litre of gas during April in Calgary was $1.22.5, with 35.6 cents going to taxes (19.7 cents to the province), 33 cents went to the refiner margin and a minuscule two cents per litre went to the retailers, who clearly are beating each others’ profits into oblivion in this highly competitive field. For a 75-litre tank, the difference to fill up in Calgary versus Vancouver in April was about $34 per tank. If, like many, the average person fills their tank once per week, that’s a hit of about $136 a month or $1,600 per year — a significant hit to most families’ budgets.

Horgan, who is being blamed by the opposition and many citizens for the spike in gas prices, said on Monday he asked Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to reduce the amount of diluted bitumen travelling from Alberta to Burnaby in the Trans Mountain pipeline that Trudeau’s government purchased, so that more refined gasoline could be shipped to Vancouver.

“I laid out for him my concerns about the inordinate spike in retail gas prices in British Columbia that were not connected to any policy decisions. It just seemed to be, in my opinion, gouging.

“I said I was disappointed to see so much diluted bitumen coming into the existing pipe at the expense of refined product. He understood that, he talked about the (National Energy Board) processes, I reminded him he owned the pipeline, and he concluded he would ask his officials to take a look at it. So I was encouraged by that.”

It’s ironic, to be sure, that Horgan, who opposes the twinning of TMX, wants the PM to meddle in long-term contracts and the role of the independent energy board that sets the supply flow to use a pipeline to solve his political problems. It’s galling.

Michael Ervin, senior vice-president with the Kent Group, says every time investigations are held into high gasoline prices, investigators “inevitably determine that prices are rational considering all of the factors.”

Spring, Ervin says, is the traditional time for refineries to slow production to do seasonal turnaround from producing winter-grade gasoline to summer-grade gasoline, just in time for peak demand. That is happening in refineries across North America, including in Washington State and California. One-third of B.C.’s gasoline comes from Alberta, which would be quite happy to provide more.

So, Premier Horgan, save the B.C. Utilities Commission the bother. Supply and demand caused by predictable refinery slowdowns, high taxes, a growing population and strangled supply are the reasons for your troubles. An expanded TMX pipeline would help.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/loca...n-vancouver-a-taste-of-the-future-without-tmx

Water is only more expensive than oil if you are comparing the cost of bottled water at the store, but we already get cheap high quality tap water for cheap.

If Canada was to sell water to the states we wouldn't be getting anywhere close to what bottled water costs. Bottled water is a rip-off
Fair enough. While bulk water would be cheaper than bulk oil, consumer water would be more expensive than consumer gas.

The blended return to Canada would still be immense and would instantly make us one of the richest countries in the world. And instead of that we fight ourselves while US corporations reaps the major benefit of both our oil and water capturing the bulk of the profits and leaving us with the expense.

it is truly sad that most left leaning Canadians are too ignorant to understand that.

The blended return to Canada would still be immense and would instantly make us one of the richest countries in the world. And instead of that we fight ourselves while US corporations reaps the major benefit of both our oil and water capturing the bulk of the profits and leaving us with the expense.

it is truly sad that most left leaning Canadians are too ignorant to understand that.

Now now, that's not entirely accurate!

American consumers also reaps the benefits from this utter ridiculousness as well :D

It's a pity the two smug BC dudes in this thread got chased off within the first few pages, 'cause I'd love to see their response to the record-high gas price in Vancouver right now, hahaha.

Last edited:
Now now, that's not entirely accurate!

American consumers also reaps the benefits from this utter ridiculousness as well :D

It's a pity the one smug BC dude in this thread got chased off within the first few pages, 'cause I'd love to see his response to the record-high gas price in Vancouver right now, hahaha.

I'm ashamed I forgot that

tenor.gif

I'm ashamed I forgot that

tenor.gif

Well I hope you didn't forget about this BC fact-dropper, it go especially well with Horgan's current scrambling for more Albertan gasoline and lamenting on the lack of refineries in BC now that gas price is skyrocketing as predicted<Lmaoo>

You can stop being an idiot anytime now. We're not "dependent" on Alberta oil, as the industry chart clearly indicate. No need to thank me for dropping facts. Oil and mining are shrinking industries in BC with grim future prospect, just like Alberta.
Screen-Shot-2014-03-12-at-11.25.01-AM.png

Last edited:
British Columbia cannot regulate Trans Mountain pipeline oil flows
Nia Williams | May May 24, 2019

CALGARY, Alberta (Reuters) - A British Columbia court ruled on Friday that the provincial government cannot regulate increased flows of heavy crude through the proposed Trans Mountain pipeline, removing a potential hurdle to the long-delayed project.

The Trans Mountain expansion (TMX) project, which the Canadian government bought last year for C$4.5 billion ($3.35 billion) to help it get built, would nearly triple shipments of oil sands crude from Alberta to Canada’s Pacific Coast.

It has endured years of regulatory delays and fierce opposition from environmentalists, some indigenous groups and the British Columbia government. Justin Trudeau’s Liberal government will decide by June 18 whether to push forward with the project.

“This decision provides critical clarity for Trans Mountain, and future interprovincial pipeline projects,” said Chris Bloomer, CEO of the Canadian Energy Pipeline Association. “This kind of clarity is now needed around Canada’s environmental and regulatory processes to ensure Canada can attract new projects and investors.”

British Columbia last year filed a reference question to the provincial Court of Appeal, asking if it could change the Environmental Management Act to regulate any increase in flows of diluted bitumen from the oil sands.

On Friday five judges unanimously ruled the provincial government does not have that authority because Trans Mountain falls under federal jurisdiction.

“The amendment was targeted legislation that in pith and substance relates to the regulation of an interprovincial undertaking - the expanded interprovincial pipeline of Trans Mountain ...” the court said in the ruling posted on its website. “The amendment thus lies beyond provincial jurisdiction.”

British Columbia’s Attorney General David Eby said his government will appeal the decision, but Alberta Premier Jason Kenney urged British Columbia to end its legal challenge.

“British Columbia’s highest court has spoken, unanimously, and the time for obstruction of the TMX pipeline is now over,” Kenney said in a statement.

Canada’s two westernmost provinces have been embroiled in a dispute over Trans Mountain since British Columbia elected a government in 2017 that vowed to oppose the project.

Earlier this month Kenney, who won a landslide election victory in April with promises to stand up for Alberta’s beleaguered energy industry, enacted legislation enabling his government to restrict the flow of oil to British Columbia.

Alberta is home to Canada’s oil sands and the vast majority of the country’s crude reserves, but its oil trades at a steep discount versus global benchmark prices because of a lack of space on export pipelines.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...untain-pipeline-oil-flows-court-idUSKCN1SU206

Last edited:
So what's the point of provinces and borders if we have no dominion or say over anyting ?

Breaking news: Federal jurisdiction supersedes Provincial jurisdiction.​

B.C. can't impose environmental laws that could kill Trans Mountain pipeline, court rules
Jason Proctor · CBC News · Posted: May 24, 2019

trans-mountain-20190318.jpg

A aerial view of Kinder Morgan's Trans Mountain marine terminal, in Burnaby, B.C.​

British Columbia doesn't have the right to impose environmental laws that could kill the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion, the province's Court of Appeal has ruled.

In a unanimous decision released Friday, the province's top court said proposed legislation to limit the flow of increased amounts of "heavy oil" into B.C. would be in direct conflict with federal jurisdiction over interprovincial pipelines.

The five-judge panel found that, if introduced, the amendments to B.C.'s Environmental Management Act would essentially usurp the National Energy Board's role in approving projects in the national interest.

"Even if it were not intended to 'single out' the TMX pipeline, it has the potential to affect (and indeed 'stop in its tracks') the entire operation of Trans Mountain as an interprovincial carrier and exporter of oil," says the 66-page ruling, written by Justice Mary Newbury.

"At the end of the day, the NEB is the body entrusted with regulating the flow of energy resources across Canada to export markets … The project affects the country as a whole, and falls to be regulated taking into account the interests of the country as a whole."

The decision is a huge blow to B.C.'s NDP government and will likely be appealed to the Supreme Court of Canada.

The B.C. Appeal Court judges were asked to consider three questions in relation to the proposed amendments, but at the end of the day, said they only needed to consider the first: Whether B.C. has the constitutional authority to introduce rules directly affecting the flow of diluted bitumen.

The other two questions were predicated on a Yes to the question of jurisdiction. As a result, the court didn't need to deal with them.

The Trans Mountain pipeline expansion would twin an existing 1,150-kilometre pipeline from Edmonton to Burrard Inlet in order to allow the export of diluted bitumen offshore.

Kinder Morgan first proposed the project in 2013, but the federal government bought the entire pipeline last year for $4.5 billion after the company's shareholders expressed dissatisfaction with the delays.

The pipeline is on hold as Ottawa moves to rectify shortcomings identified in a Federal Appeal Court ruling last year that said the federal government had failed to adequately consult with First Nations, and had not fully considered the impact that shipping the oil would have on marine life.

B.C. argued the proposed environmental regulations could co-exist with the federal responsibility to oversee railways and pipelines, by ensuring the local environmental risks were governed by the level of government closest to the citizens most affected.

But Ottawa claimed the rules were just a "Trojan Horse" designed to kill a project B.C.'s N.D.P. government previously vowed to defeat.

To reach a decision, the province's Appeal Court had to determine the "pith and substance" of the law, which includes the purpose and practical effects of the legislation.

The court said the evidence supported Canada's contention that the proposed legislation was aimed at the TMX project.

"From this proposition, it is a short step to Canada's argument that the immediate purpose and undeniable effect ... is to provide a means by which the province may impede additional heavy oil originating in Alberta from being transported through British Columbia generally, and thus 'frustrate' the project in particular," the ruling says.

The decision notes that both levels of government have jurisdiction over aspects of the environment and have the right to introduce legislation to mitigate environmental harm.

But the judges found that jurisdiction over interprovincial pipelines was given to Ottawa through the Constitution Act to "deal with just this type of situation, allowing a single regulator to consider interests and concerns beyond those of the individual province(s)."

Newbury wrote the provinces and Ottawa should play important roles in the management of the environment, but said B.C.'s proposed regulation was not "legislation of general application, but is targeted at one substance in one (interprovincial) pipeline."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/trans-mountain-bc-appeal-court-1.5148368

https://globalnews.ca/news/5320262/green-party-alberta-foreign-oil/amp/

I thought this was interesting. Green Party leader Elizabeth May supports Canadians using Canadian oil, yet opposes new pipe lines and recommends we ship via rail. Using local means a smaller carbon footprint, but I'm not sure what she means by saying we'd need to invest more in our rail services.

No matter what, utilizing local fuel and not from sources where environmental protection standards are worse than ours is a good approach to curbing the overall global impact of using dino juice.

Obviously her concern isn't for Albertas economy but her perspective surprised me and it adds a small question mark to this debate. What's a better way to go - added rail capabilities or energy corridor? I'll take her support either way.

Huawei accuses FedEx of diverting documents to the US
By Jon Fingas | May 27, 2019

dims

Huawei's rapidly escalating fight with the US has taken a rather unusual direction. The company has accused FedEx of diverting two of its packages meant for China, and trying to reroute two other packages sent from Vietnam to other Asian offices. Both of the diverted packages went to the US, Huawei told Reuters, and reportedly contained "no technology" -- just commercial documents. The tech giant went so far as to provide images of tracking records, although it didn't offer a reason as to why it thought the packages went the wrong way.

Huawei was angry, at any rate. A spokesman said the alleged diversions "undermines [Huawei's] confidence," and that the company would "have to review" its logistics requirements as a result. It had already filed a complaint with China's postal regulator.

A FedEx spokeswoman said the packages were diverted "in error," and denied that the US government or anyone else had asked to send them somewhere else. It was "working directly" with companies to return packages to the right people.

While this could amount to a lot of fuss over nothing, it illustrates Huawei's growing outrage over the US' trade ban -- the company has already seen many of its most important US partners, including Google and Intel, abruptly cut off access to parts.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/05/27/huawei-fedex-diverting-documents-accusation/

Now US companies are showing what many people thought. that under goverment pressure, they can act as pure American government assets.

Give the Chinese a taste of their own medicine

Oil interests me. I own a bunch. American of course, including Chevron.

After being politically hammered over the issue for weeks, B.C. Premier John Horgan has asked the B.C. Utilities Commission (BCUC) if the body will consider investigating why gas prices in the province have soared in comparison to the rest of the country.

In a letter sent to the regulator on Tuesday, Horgan said British Columbians — particularly those in Metro Vancouver and on Vancouver Island — are used to higher gas prices compared to other provinces, but not to this extent.

Gas prices have been hovering around a record-high of $1.70 in Metro Vancouver since mid-April.

"What British Columbians do not understand and cannot accept is a situation where the price of gasoline, correcting for differences in tax rates, gets increasingly out of line with the prices in the rest of Canada," Horgan wrote.

gas-prices-172.jpg

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...ices-horgan-bc-utilities-commission-1.5126311

Hahaha, so Horgan's "comprehensive investigation" into rising gas price specifically exclude his province's taxes and pipeline policies. You can't make this shit up! <Lmaoo>

With gas prices, Premier John Horgan needs to look in a mirror
Kris Sims | May 26, 2019

gas-prices.jpg

If Premier John Horgan wants to find the culprit responsible for the record high gas prices in B.C., he should look in a mirror.

After picking a fight with Alberta, strangling the supply of oil and gas to the Lower Mainland and jacking up taxes on gasoline, the NDP leader has now tasked the B.C. Utilities Commission with investigating the cause of the ghastly price at the pumps.

But there’s a catch.

The gas-price investigators aren’t allowed to investigate the actions of the government, including tax rates and pipeline strangulation.

That’s like a kid who promises she didn’t steal the candy but doesn’t want you to check under her bed.

The show-trial investigation will be finished at the end of August, after the summer driving season is over and many family road trips are scrapped because of the high cost of gasoline in Horgan’s B.C.

Does the premier think that British Columbians won’t get it? Does he think we’ll all fall for this silly puppet show? We know that if a supply is choked off and if taxes are increased, the price of a product will go up.

Metro Vancouver produces only 30 per cent of its gasoline supply. Some comes from Alberta and the rest is imported from Washington state at a premium. The needed gasoline product runs through the Trans Mountain pipeline that the premier scorns.

For every litre of gasoline that Metro Vancouver drivers pump into their vehicles this summer, 54 cents of it is tax. The B.C. carbon tax is 8.9 cents per litre, the B.C. TransLink tax is 18.5 cents as of July 1, and the provincial excise tax is 8.5 cents. That’s 35 cents per litre just in provincial taxes. The federal government takes up the rest with the federal excise tax of 10 cents and the federal sales tax of eight cents.

It was bemusing when the premier claimed to be surprised and concerned about the high price at B.C. gas stations, when everyone paying attention knows that his NDP government and Andrew Weaver’s power-enabling Green coalition are determined to make fuel unaffordable for people so that they “make different choices.” The reality of “making different choices” for many people means cancelling their summer road trip plans and driving across the U.S. border to fill up jerry cans in Washington state, where gas is about 50 cents cheaper per litre.

It was laughable, then, when the premier actually called for an investigation into the mysteriously high price of gasoline in B.C.

It was like that episode of The Simpsons when Homer forgets to pick up Bart and, rather than apologizing, says: “I know you’re mad at me right now, and I’m kind of mad, too. I mean, we could sit here and try to figure out who forgot to pick up who till the cows come home. But let’s just say we’re both wrong, and that’ll be that.”

To be fair to Homer, he was willing to at least share the blame, while Horgan is rigging the investigation to avoid any responsibility.

Now that we know that the investigation is a farce from the outset, it’s not remotely funny anymore. We know the jig is up. We are being had.

The premier should save everyone the time and money and just admit that these high gas prices are the reality he wants to force on us.

He needs to own this and to own up to it.

https://vancouversun.com/opinion/op...premier-john-horgan-needs-to-look-in-a-mirror

And yet we met Nestlé bottle up our natural resource for almost no cost and sell it back to us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back