100 & 200 UFCs ago; 196 + 96

JoeRowe

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
UFC 96, back when ppvs were stacked:
Screenshot_20231212_162045_Chrome.jpg
Rampage & Jardine put on quite a fun, competitive, sloppy brawl for 3 rounds. Definitely could've used 2 more rounds but Rampage got the nod after scoring a knockdown with 5-10 seconds left.

Carwin & Matt Brown with vintage KO performances. Hamill & Munoz put on 1 of the ugliest displays of footwork I've ever seen, hard to sit thru this one as short as it was. Hamill wins via naked highkick that Munoz has apparently never seen before.

Maynard wins via right hands & tdd. Miller couldn't get much done outside of kicking range.

Don't remember any of the prelims & don't want to watch them but shoutout to Grove.

UFC 196, an all-timer
Screenshot_20231212_161948_Chrome.jpg
2 epic comebacks after 2 ugly stinkers, & a good bad-fight from Nunes/Shevy in which Nunes started hot winning 2 rounds but faded late.

Siyar & Nordine ended the prelims with 2 awesome finishes. Didn't know Nordine had that power & I surely didn't know Siyar knew any submissions, then again everyone was tapping Thatch(pause)...

Finally, shoutout to Diego for legitimately winning a fight for the first time since....Paulo Thiago? Tds + top control & sub defense. Solid gnp too. Followed by his white Midwestern unbeknownst protégé Darren Elkins outgrinding Skelly in very grimy contest.

Other thoughts or memories?

I was there, that was the fight that Silva wouldn't touch gloves and paid for it lol

Almost everyone was recognizable. You could know 90% of the card. Now there's some where half the fights I know nothing about.

Less fighters, so they were all more known.
Hell, back in like 06 I pretty much knew ever fighter on every card, more there's so many fights dude could be on his 5th fight and most people don't remember them

Back