10 point must system is ruining the UFC

The Legendary Scarface

Record since UFC 266 : 54-36
@Black
Reaction score
Let's consider that Max fight.

Max to me won both rounds 1 and 2.
The 3rd was incredibly close but I edged it to Volk by a hair.
Rounds 4 and 5 I thought Volk won.

Here's the issue though, Volk did not win rounds 4 and 5 in the same way or by the same margin that Max won rounds 1 and 2.

Those rounds have to be scored differently but instead, the judges are forced to give 10-9s in those rounds.

The 10 point must system is not sufficient or reliable. The UFC needs to do something about it.

10 - 10 for anytime a judge thinks "It's a toss up" or "it could have gone either way".
10 - 9 for a clear winner of the round
10 - 8 for domination.

It's OK to score a round 10 -10.

Take the judges out. It's either a stoppage win, stoppage loss or draw. 3 or 5 five minute rounds.

We'd have champ with records like 16-2-8.

Ok, if we're scoring it more like a real fight then let's consider that Volk won 4 and 5. If there's a 6 round, who would we have picked to win? Volk was fresher down the stretch. And knockdowns or not, he was never wobbled once in that fight. It's so easy to use circular logic to make a point.

If max was so effective why was Volk so fresh down the stretch and why did Max fade? Also Max's movement was hampered by the swath of leg kicks he ate.

Volk 3,4,5.

:)

10 - 10 for anytime a judge thinks "It's a toss up" or "it could have gone either way".
10 - 8 for domination.

I hate the idea of 10-10 rounds. In my opinion it's lazy scoring. There's 5 categories to be scored and both fighters didn't do exactly the same thing for the duration of the round.

We've been talking about this for years on sherdog but we havnt seen any change in the scoring system.

It probably won't change anytime soon because everything regarding the ufc, is done by design not by happenstance. The ufc is untouchable. Wme is part of the Fortune 500 most riches companies in the world. Do some research about how they operate. They are the elite.

And why even make it out of 10 if they're going to do this stupid judging system. Just make it you get 0 1 or 2 points. The loser of the round gets nothing.

It doesn't make sense to judge it by rounds, instead of just judging the entire fight.

Imagine a basketball match where one team wins three quarters by a point difference and the other team wins the last quarter by 20 points difference. Imagine giving it to the losing team "because they won more quarters".

GSP vs. Hendricks is a great example of this as well. Winning the fight vs. winning the contest based on round scoring.

10 - 8 for domination.

I actually think half points would do some justice. I know it sounds silly but scoring rounds 4 and 5 as 10-9.5's would actually improve the scoring of that fight.

Round 1 - Max 10-9
Round 2 - Max 10-9
Round 3 - 10-10
Round 4- Volk 10-9.5
Round 5 - Volk 10-9.5

Max wins 49 - 48

It doesn't make sense to judge it by rounds, instead of just judging the entire fight.

Imagine a basketball match where one team wins three quarters by a point difference and the other team wins the last quarter by 20 points difference. Imagine giving it to the losing team "because they won more quarters".

GSP vs. Hendricks is a great example of this as well. Winning the fight vs. winning the contest based on round scoring.
No 10 must system, and half points bro.

No 10 must system, and half points bro.

It would make a lot more sense to have your 10-9,5 rounds be 10-9 rounds and your 10-9 rounds be 10-8 rounds. Same concept just different numbers. But didn't they recently try to achieve that anyway with the new updated rules?

UFC will never announce a 29,5 vs 28,5 scorecard after a fight.

Fights should not have rounds, just 10 or 20 minutes of continuous fighting scored on damage alone. Problem solved.

The problem is that changing the scoring system to something outside of 10-point must is almost always going to lead to more subjective judging. The judges are already a big problem and bad enough, so make it more open for debate, harder to judge probably, more subjective...yeah I'm going to project that would led to even more robberies and drool-level rounds and cards.

I've said the same thing for years. The 10pt system promotes points fighting. MMA is the only sport that stole it's scoring system from the totally different sport of boxing. Round by round is ok when you have a lot more rounds to make up for badly scored ones.

MMA was supposed to fix the problem by utilizing 10-8 rounds more liberally but that really hasn't happened and is so subjective to be almost useless. For instance boxing gives a 10-8 round just for a knockdown. It would be much better for the sport if fights were scored as a whole. There would still be controversies but if guys know damage and finishing fights is what's most important, I think it will change the mindset. It makes it worse when the points fighters are the champions or those at the top levels fighting not to lose their place in line while trying to game the judges.

I wouldn't mind taking a play out of the boxing playbook where if you get dropped, it's an automatic 10-8 round. You could possibly add in near submissions but that gets into grey territory.

The new system now is actually defined in a way where we shouldn't have this problem. 10-9 means barely winning a round, 10-8 means clearly winning a round and 10-7 is a domination. So if we actually used the system properly, the first two rounds of Max/Volk should have been 10-8 for Max while 4 and 5 should be 10-9 for Volk.

I think the issue is that the mindset for 10-8 is stuck in the old criteria of it needing to be a domination. Even though the definition has changed, it's hard to get people to get used to it.

Let's consider that Max fight.

Max to me won both rounds 1 and 2.
The 3rd was incredibly close but I edged it to Volk by a hair.
Rounds 4 and 5 I thought Volk won.

Here's the issue though, Volk did not win rounds 4 and 5 in the same way or by the same margin that Max won rounds 1 and 2.

Those rounds have to be scored differently but instead, the judges are forced to give 10-9s in those rounds.

The 10 point must system is not sufficient or reliable. The UFC needs to do something about it.
They should've just scored the first two 10-8s, but I think the only reason people wanted to give Volk the third was out of pity after he got trashed so bad in the first two.

Back