Zookeeper Gabe's Animal Thread V7.0

u caught a Texas brown tonight, and it must have been a male because it was just wondering around freely.

ive never seen one in Dallas before even though there common in Texas. They're considered rare in city area.

Took me little bit to figure out you were talking about a tarantula.

Took me little bit to figure out you were talking about a tarantula.

yeah sorry, i was typing while my hands an arms where shaking after my gym run. But i've never seen a Texas brown in Dallas, i thought they were more common in West and central Texas.

But low and behold there it was just crossing the hall area in my Apartments. And my god they are fucking fast....

i put it next to my rose hair and it was definitely a male

The males are usually the ones that are out wandering around too.

The males are usually the ones that are out wandering around too.

it was pretty cool! i was thinking about keeping it, but i let him go an do his thing.

i have a video of it, but the quality is really poopy for some odd reason

We built her a basking platform and she's starting to use it more. When komodos are young they like to climb, she's still not as comfortable as we want her to be. But she's getting there.
n3ZqL0l.jpg

5q6xujj.jpg

We built her a basking platform and she's starting to use it more. When komodos are young they like to climb, she's still not as comfortable as we want her to be. But she's getting there.
n3ZqL0l.jpg

5q6xujj.jpg

I'm jealous. Do you have to use UV bulbs for her?

n3ZqL0l.jpg

5q6xujj.jpg
That's awesome. What do you plan to feed her primarily when shes full grown? I know they kinda scavenge and will try and take down larger prey, but do they have a preferred food?

@jefferz yeah, we have a few high intensity uvb bulbs in there she can bask under.

@sverre054 when she's full grown she will primarily get rabbits and large rats with other treats thrown in like quail, fish and others.

Managed to get some video of her ripping her bunny up today. Will upload it tomorrow

n3ZqL0l.jpg

5q6xujj.jpg
how are you assessing her level of discomfort? Looks pretty chill to me.

how are you assessing her level of discomfort? Looks pretty chill to me.
She gets spooked easily and hides, she's spending more and more time out in the open. It's just a much slower process then we expected.

She gets spooked easily and hides, she's spending more and more time out in the open. It's just a much slower process then we expected.
Are Komodo juvies skittish in the wild? Can't imagine they have any threats unless adults are eating them.

Are Komodo juvies skittish in the wild? Can't imagine they have any threats unless adults are eating them.
THey are super skittish, larger dragons love to eat them and that's why younger animals spend time in trees. The older bigger dragons can't really climb, she wasn't like this when we first got her. She's never been in anything as big as the exhibit she's in now so she's just in an adjustment period.

A scuba diver in Japan helped nurse a fish back to health and has been visiting it almost every day for the past 25 years

yeah sorry, i was typing while my hands an arms where shaking after my gym run. But i've never seen a Texas brown in Dallas, i thought they were more common in West and central Texas.

But low and behold there it was just crossing the hall area in my Apartments. And my god they are fucking fast....

i put it next to my rose hair and it was definitely a male

What Tarantula's in your apartment roaming around? In Texas? Stray Tarantulas?

No wonder people there carry guns all the time!

What Tarantula's in your apartment roaming around? In Texas? Stray Tarantulas?

No wonder people there carry guns all the time!

yeah we have native Texas browns here. i mean i bet you have worst then we do since ya got all the old world stuff.

But, yes we do. it was a male just walking around outside, probably looking for a female burrow. But we also have tarantula hawks

yeah we have native Texas browns here. i mean i bet you have worst then we do since ya got all the old world stuff.

But, yes we do. it was a male just walking around outside, probably looking for a female burrow. But we also have tarantula hawks

We don't have a lot of huge spiders here, the biggest are the Huntsman types the venatoria heteropoda.
heteropoda_venatoria03_539ad3d79606ee76336a9df1.jpg

Back