Zookeeper Gabe's Animal Thread V6.0

I lost my pistol shrimp today. It looks like he had a bad molt and didn't survive. My yellow watchman goby is freaking out and keeps churning over the sand, it's like a snow globe in my tank. I'm guessing he's looking for him.
Getting another shrimp is a risk, sometimes they'll pair up right away and sometimes the shrimp will kill the goby. It's weird not hearing him snap.

SIUCnqx.jpg

How version 5.0 left off
This is the worlds most northern wolf pack. During my time up in Nunavut, Canada I ran into these guys a few times. This was the first so I was a little jumpy.

That sucks man. They are cool inverts. Will the goby calm down or is it going to stress out till he dies? Because it may be worth it to try.

I was gonna ask where do the really big wolves hang out? would that be the grey wolf?

Came across this video of a Racoon that is pretty remarkable IMO because she has learned how to use a tool in order to summon a human so she can get some food. Pretty nuts if you think about what is going on in this video.

That sucks man. They are cool inverts. Will the goby calm down or is it going to stress out till he dies? Because it may be worth it to try.

He's still freaking out, not as bad though. He keeps trying to pair up with a coral banded shrimp but the shrimp doesn't want anything to do with him. The goby is eating I think, he keeps bringing food to their hole. I covered the tank to make sure he doesn't jump out. I think I'll give another pistol a try. Im having a dilemma though, I promised myself to only buy captive raised livestock but no one has bred pistols yet.
The symbiotic relationship is really neat to watch, there's rarely a time when they're not touching.

Koko the gorilla watching a sad movie. Koko has been criticized as not really understanding sign language but its a fairly profound 2 minutes IMO.

So about 3 months ago I was hanging at a friends house when we heard a noise on the deck. Opened the curtain turned on the porch light and saw these guys chilling.

11151055_10153204412666047_1021102074993584847_n.jpg

makes me sad that a species of rhino was just declared extinct

This is one of the most brutal fights I've ever seen. And I've seen tons.

The description is all in Spanish but it pretty much says that this lion got separated from his pride for several weeks. He was sick and acting erratically and totally emaciated.

The fight in this vid lasted 1.5 hours and the people filming reported hearing the sound of bones cracking and breaking when the buffalo attacked his thorax. The craziest thing is he didn't die after this fight. He lived for two more days and even killed an impala the next day.

Lions- holy shit.

This is one of the most brutal fights I've ever seen. And I've seen tons.

The description is all in Spanish but it pretty much says that this lion got separated from his pride for several weeks. He was sick and acting erratically and totally emaciated.

The fight in this vid lasted 1.5 hours and the people filming reported hearing the sound of bones cracking and breaking when the buffalo attacked his thorax. The craziest thing is he didn't die after this fight. He lived for two more days and even killed an impala the next day.

Lions- holy shit.

Young male vs a cow buffalo. Alot of juvenile males get into trouble because they have no experience on which animals they can attack or should just leave alone. Poor guy.

Lol. Awesome. I grew up chasing bears away from my moms bird feeders. They learned quickly the sound of a shell getting racked into a shotgun. We weren't actually shooting them just scaring.

My mom has actually put up dog kennel fencing around her feeders with hot wire to keep the bears out. Lol

Young male vs a cow buffalo. Alot of juvenile males get into trouble because they have no experience on which animals they can attack or should just leave alone. Poor guy.

Yeah, but it seems like this one's illness made him go into fuck it mode.

He could have easily fled after it got rough for him but he continued to attack even when he had nothing left. It was Shogun-Henderson I rolled into one lion.

Hey Gabe, came across an interesting article about some female baboons that's happening at our zoo here.

Apparently, the matriarch had a tumour and passed away. And now there's been a power struggle for the throne that's been going on for months.

The article states, usually the daughter of the matriarch steps up but in this particular case, the eldest daughter is still a little young and immature. There's an older female in the zoo who's been challenging for authority.

This has lead to some brutal fights over the months. Apparently there's a stalemate right now but zookeepers are still on edge and trying to figure out the best way to manage the situation

Link to article

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...rone-at-toronto-zoo-after-matriarch-dies.html

This is why you don't screw with nature.

I've always wondered if Sea Lions attack people or swimmers underwater. They always seem like they could fuck shit up when I see them at the pier.

Also did the dog died?

@Evil-that just popped up in my fb feed multiple times. Crazy that it's taking them that long to sort it out.

@jefferz-did you end up getting a new shrimp?

One of my favourite animal sounds.

[YT]l3rzkrm98J0[/YT]

I've always wondered if Sea Lions attack people or swimmers underwater. They always seem like they could fuck shit up when I see them at the pier.

Also did the dog died?

LOL, I think the dog got wise and hauled ass. But yea, one of those things can fling around a full grown man like its nothing.

that gator sound is cool and all........ until youre stuck on a jetski in the mud as evening is falling upon you

Also did the dog died?

Im swam with seals, and they almost mimick your actions. I would go down and spin and theyd follow and spin flippers out just like me with my arms out. It was awesome to interact with them in the wild. Stunk awful though where we were, there were probably over 50 of them where we were and as soon as your head came above water the smell was awful.

Fox are very cool. The kids are so darn cute. I had a mom come have her kids under an old play house 10 yards from my house for a couple of years.
They never messed with any of the farm animals, they'd bark at the cat but she got to where she wouldn't even pay attention.

Crappy pic, but my first batch of cichlids are coloring up nicely.
1556380_757068664311854_1130450825_o.jpg

Going through this thread made me think about how humans are weak pussies compared to any other animal near our size.

the chimp drone video was awesome

Yeah, but it seems like this one's illness made him go into fuck it mode.

He could have easily fled after it got rough for him but he continued to attack even when he had nothing left. It was Shogun-Henderson I rolled into one lion.

I remember a similar situation in a doc with a wolf

A old wolf with no pack, not that sharp teeth, kinda light being malnourished and a lot of old injuries (skull pierced by pumas in two separated attacks, multiple old fractures)

Still attacked bigger than him animals on 1vs1 like a boss

Make think about how will do a healthy, young/prime specimen if for whatever reason lose his pack and start hunt alone

What a dumbshit dog and the guy who got bit hopefully it didn't pierce his skin. I have a bunch of friends that have been nipped by them and almost always get nasty infections.
As for the male lion, when keepin it real goes wrong.

I was gonna ask where do the really big wolves hang out? would that be the grey wolf?

Those are grey wolves, with the exception of red wolf in NC all wolves in NA are a subspecies of Grey wolves.

What a dumbshit dog and the guy who got bit hopefully it didn't pierce his skin. I have a bunch of friends that have been nipped by them and almost always get nasty infections.
As for the male lion, when keepin it real goes wrong.

He probably wishes it was a nip. That sea lion grabbed his shit and tossed him like a bitch. As for dogs, they are stupid, or fearless, or both. I've seen them attack anything that moves, bears, alligators, whatever.

I'll tell you a story you might find humorous. I was visiting my grandfather on his farm and he always had several dogs and a couple cats that just sorta ran wild. They were farm dogs, domesticated, but definitely not indoor good behavior animals. I'm convinced they would whip the shit out of almost any city/house dog.

Anyhow, he tells me this story about how one of his dogs went missing and he later found his body in the creek that ran on the property. He couldn't really understand it, all his dogs were strong swimmers. A few weeks after that he was near the creek clearing some brush and one of his dogs started barking and took off chasing a large racoon. The racoon made a b-line and jumped in the creek. The dog jumped in and just before he was about to catch up, the racoon u-turned, jumped on the dogs back, and shoved his head under water.

My grandfather had to jump into the creek to save his dog and he realized that was the fate his other dog had met a few weeks prior. Somehow this racoon had figured out that in the water he could kill a dog fairly easily because once he was on their back they were screwed.

one thing i want to do in my life is go on an authentic safari run... the type in the truck with cages

Looked like the sea lion just grabbed him by the jacket.

As for the raccoo0n that doesn't shock me. Roos do that to domestic dogs and dingos.

I have a question for zookeeper Gabe.

Considering the glass in the following video is probably 3 inches thick, probably would stop a bullet from a hand gun, and you would probably have trouble breaking it with a hammer, how much force does this Gorilla exert to break it like that?

Seriously.

:icon_lol:

I would shit myself. He damn near came through the glass. I'm not even sure what set him off because he was further away than the gorilla looking at the kids. If you want to see something funny pause the video at .09 and you can see the parents reflection in the glass as the gorilla charges.

I'd like to go on record and say that this bird is a thief and is not to be trusted.

GreatBlueHeron1G.gif

That video is really funny. The gorillas at my last zoo did shit like that all the time. Never managed to crack the glass though.

@triple- that's awesome. Love hearing about people that take great care of their pets

@Tipsy-love gator bellows. My female Chinese alligators used to do it.

@Jefferz-what species is that? Jewled?

That's one of the most New England things ever. If we have anything to be proud of, it's our profanity density.

I love it, I've watched it so many times. It took me a second hearing him say whale I kept thinking he was saying wheel.

@sam- there's some crazy videos of them killing and eating gophers.

Back