Zodiac (2007)

I actually don’t watch a lot of true crime stuff, I usually hate the genre. There are some rare exceptions, in these cases Fincher sucked me in. Is it good?
tbh Im not decided if I would call it good, its interesting for sure...there is some compelling evidence linking Ed Edwards to the zodiac killings and the zodiac killer to the atlanta child murders and other stuff, the show itself plays out alot like the Steven Avery show((which is another thing that they try to link Edwards to))

Yep. Those kids were just super unlucky. Fantastic scene.

It's interesting that Zodiac was more aggressive toward the girl and the guy survived again.

That the girl is stabbed second I'd say is deliberate(not sure whether that's based on actual events?) basically allowing her to see it happen to him and know whats in store for her. That whole scene does I think clearly give off a sense of resentful misogyny.

That the girl is stabbed second I'd say is deliberate(not sure whether that's based on actual events?) basically allowing her to see it happen to him and know whats in store for her. That whole scene does I think clearly give off a sense of resentful misogyny.

It seems like he's threatened by the guy in that scene. He's not really showing any fear of Zodiac and he's handling the situation pretty well. Zodiac even has the girl tie him up before he'll step in and do it himself, even though he has a gun. It would be tough to tie someone up while holding a gun, but that guy kind of beta'd Zodiac IMO.

The interview with him after the incident is a good watch, he's really stoic.

It seems like he's threatened by the guy in that scene. He's not really showing any fear of Zodiac and he's handling the situation pretty well. Zodiac even has the girl tie him up before he'll step in and do it himself, even though he has a gun. It would be tough to tie someone up while holding a gun, but that guy kind of beta'd Zodiac IMO.

The interview with him after the incident is a good watch, he's really stoic.

The two do obviously go together, resentful of women and feeling inferior to other men.

Generally I think the film gives the impression of narcissism more than sociopathy from the Zodiac although the latter seems likely as well. Certainly the scene with Leigh Allen I think clearly looks to go that route, he's clearly enjoying it and you can see with the line about the knives its something he's been going over in his head too much beforehand and blurts out unprompted.

LOL, yeah that's where I am with SPLIT myself. I find he conjures up tremendous tension with barely anything at all. People in a room. Slow camera moves. Closed doors, open doors. I've said it before. I want him to work with another writer, but in the same way Hitchcock or Kurosawa did. They came up with the stories and trusted the scripts to their collaborators. Shyamalan is far too precious with his own material. He needs counterbalance.

I hear you about the Spielbergian connection, which I would maintain for his visual style as a mix with Hitchcock, but I'm a bit different in terms of story. Spielberg's family aspect is usually incidental to the story, even though his prodigious middle era of WAR OF THE WORLDS and AI and MINORITY REPORT are steeped in family issues; plus they're more about the perspective of disparity. Even in CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND, which depicts a child who was very much like Steven was to his own father.

Whereas Shyamalan rather integrates the family more thoroughly to the plot. SIXTH SENSE is about communicating, or rather the difficulty of family communication, and so the film works through the familial issues and the emotional climax occurs during a traffic jam, inside a car, with barely any special effects.

Spielberg's is a child who can never embrace his father; there is a wide chasm between them. Shyamalan endeavors toward resolutions and re-connection.

That’s true, Shyamalan is actually a bit more wholesome than Spielberg, or at least happier. Solid family unit will often do that.

You with me in a sauna of hot, if possibly unreasonable anticipation for GLASS? No homo.

tbh Im not decided if I would call it good, its interesting for sure...there is some compelling evidence linking Ed Edwards to the zodiac killings and the zodiac killer to the atlanta child murders and other stuff, the show itself plays out alot like the Steven Avery show((which is another thing that they try to link Edwards to))

In that case I’ll probably pass. Like I said I rarely watch true crime stuff, unless it’s a director I love. Tarantino’s next one is something to do with Manson, so that will draw me out.

not particularly interested in watching the movie, Im sure its ok...judging by the cast.

chiming in here to see if any of you((in particular you two)) are watching that It Was Him, TV show about Ed Edwards and what you think of the connections there to the zodiac killings

I don't see it. For whatever reason, every few years, someone claims that their dad, uncle, etc was the Zodiac. It's a quick way to make some money and get a book or TV deal. No one has been able to provide hard evidence.

There is a good chance the Zodiac murders were committed by more than one, unrelated, persons.

I think there's definitely a possibility that there have been copycats. Zodiac didn't seem the type to work with others though. I do think that he probably scoured the newspapers for crimes that he could claim as his own though that he wasn't involved in.

The handwriting in all of the letters are the same which makes me think it's one person. After the stabbing at the lake, he wrote on the side of the victims car and it was the same writing. After the cab driver murder, he took a piece of clothing and sent it in with one of his letters as proof that he's still out there.

So at least two crimes, he had physical evidence to back it up.

Yeah I really enjoyed the scene. It was another one that really succeeded in making the Zodiac seem creepy a shit.

Yep. Those kids were just super unlucky. Fantastic scene.

It's interesting that Zodiac was more aggressive toward the girl and the guy survived again.

I also liked when Graysmith is in that dude's basement, and then gets freaked out because the guy says he did the handwriting on the movie posters. What a great tense scene. I was shouting in my head, "Get the hell outta there!"

That’s true, Shyamalan is actually a bit more wholesome than Spielberg, or at least happier. Solid family unit will often do that.

You with me in a sauna of hot, if possibly unreasonable anticipation for GLASS? No homo.
Totally. After I got plenty of this imitation crab you can take home. What I've come to understand about Shyamalan is he's "best" when I'm least expecting it, UNBREAKABLE probably being the exception that proves the rule. There's also that general philosophy that too many resources (and maybe ego) spoil creativity, I'm not sure he wholly qualifies but I feel he works best with less. Tarantino had shied away from special effects due to lack of control over the final product, and Shyamalan might be an example of such reasoning. And that's taking into account that one film with the grass monster, which was pretty much wankery. So I'm trying to keep my expectations of GLASS in check -- despite James McAvoy looking totally transformed, and revisiting some of my favorite characters.

Don't drop this ball, Night.

LOL "Night."

The Game is an atrocious film.
Legit argument.

I also liked when Graysmith is in that dude's basement, and then gets freaked out because the guy says he did the handwriting on the movie posters. What a great tense scene. I was shouting in my head, "Get the hell outta there!"

That was really well done. Graysmith's fear looked so real. He was super hesitant and paranoid in the basement, and basically took off into a sprint to get out of there.

That was really well done. Graysmith's fear looked so real. He was super hesitant and paranoid in the basement, and basically took off into a sprint to get out of there.
It's definitely a creepy scene but when I first saw it I was like, "Hey, it's Roger Rabbit!"

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Here's the news on the Zodiac DNA being sent in for testing. It should arrive in a few weeks. Also, the detective that cracked the Golden State Killer has bee hired. Interesting stuff happening.

http://www.sacbee.com/latest-news/article210320689.html

What're the chances that there's DNA on the letters? Surely he was smart enough to avoid that. Wearing gloves or using the stuff on his fingers that masked his prints when handling the letters, and then figuring out another way to seal the envelope instead of using saliva.

What're the chances that there's DNA on the letters? Surely he was smart enough to avoid that. Wearing gloves or using the stuff on his fingers that masked his prints when handling the letters, and then figuring out another way to seal the envelope instead of using saliva.

DNA testing wasn't a thing when Zodiac did his crimes. They have something called "touch DNA" now and they have been able to pull palm prints from many of the letters. So far, they haven't turned up any matches with any criminals on file. I believe one of the stamps has already been confirmed to have male DNA on it. I'm willing to bet they want to see if the other envelopes match the same DNA before moving forward.

Zodiac was smart to not to leave finger prints but he would have had no idea about palm prints on letters or being able to use his spit to track him down one day.

DNA testing wasn't a thing when Zodiac did his crimes. They have something called "touch DNA" now and they have been able to pull palm prints from many of the letters. So far, they haven't turned up any matches with any criminals on file. I believe one of the stamps has already been confirmed to have male DNA on it. I'm willing to bet they want to see if the other envelopes match the same DNA before moving forward.

Zodiac was smart to not to leave finger prints but he would have had no idea about palm prints on letters or being able to use his spit to track him down one day.

Ohh. Nice. I hope they come up with something. Makes sense that he wouldn't care about his saliva if finding him based off of that wasn't a possibility at the time.

Legit argument.
Let's start with the title. Immediately you know what the ending is based on that and the intro scene in which characters are specifically talking about this "game" and almost nothing but describing it.

Where is the thrill to this "thriller" when they spell things out in the intro without even being subtle? The ending made me facepalm.

On the topic of the film "Zodiac" though, I thouroughly enjoyed it. Great cast, good approach to the story.

Back