Yushin Okami vs. Alexey Kunchenko set for UFC Fight Night in Adelaide

Hate this fight, Kunchenko is too small and doesn't have the power to stop Okami, who is very good at point fighting.

165 would be perfect for him =(

Hate this fight, Kunchenko is too small and doesn't have the power to stop Okami, who is very good at point fighting.

165 would be perfect for him =(

I agree but I think is still a very intriguing match up. Kunchenko receive high praise for his clinch game and TDD and anyone who can force Okami to stand has a chance of beating him.
Alexei will have a reach dissadvantage but is very composed in the feet while Yushin is good at utilizing his reach but sometimes he loses his composure badly under pressure.
@CDF47

Last edited:
But crafty, and still in great physical condition. His chin is suspicious these days, but Kunchenko isnt the heaviest hitter in the game neither.
Specially now under tight anti doping, let's be honest, he looks smaller.
I gotta wonder if some of his power went away, because oh lord he run through Romanov not that long ago. Against the nuclear-man in Butenko, his power was also there.

I think Kunchenko's best chances would be to engage the clinch, stay active there with knees and body shots, and make Okami work, even though that will be hard. Once gassed, i think Okami will be much more vulnerable and sloppy, then it's much more possible to see Kunchenko landing combinations, because one shot power isn't something he can depend of in this one.

Thunder via split

Specially now under tight anti doping, let's be honest, he looks smaller.
I gotta wonder if some of his power went away, because oh lord he run through Romanov not that long ago. Against the nuclear-man in Butenko, his power was also there.

I think Kunchenko's best chances would be to engage the clinch, stay active there with knees and body shots, and make Okami work, even though that will be hard. Once gassed, i think Okami will be much more vulnerable and sloppy, then it's much more possible to see Kunchenko landing combinations, because one shot power isn't something he can depend of in this one.

funny enough this is exactly what yushin should try to do to grab a victory

Remember when Chael Sonnen's mom tried to murder Yushin Okami with a shotgun.

Anyone got the video where Chael tells that story?

Hilarious!! :D

Thunder via split

funny enough this is exactly what yushin should try to do to grab a victory
Hm? So Okami should try to get Kunchenko tired and stop him with strikes? Lol that ain't happening, no fucking way.

I’m honestly surprised they didn’t just discard Okami after the OSP fight.

I’m honestly surprised they didn’t just discard Okami after the OSP fight.

No one was expecting Okami to win, or even being competitive facing a top ranked guy 30lbs heavier than him in 6 days notice. Only a fool would expect so.

Okami today is a solid test for any up and comer at 170, and a pretty good name to add to your record. He is fighting19-0 Alexei Kunchenko 15 years after he faced Amar Suloev, around same date you joined to this forum,and is a very intriguing match up

Last edited:
Hm? So Okami should try to get Kunchenko tired and stop him with strikes? Lol that ain't happening, no fucking way.

Well that has been Okami's strategy for many of his fights, but I dont think it is the case here.
Im not sure at all about Kunchenko taking advange by engaging in the clinch with Okami though, not even sure about him being able to force Yushin to play the clinch in case he doesnt want to.

I can see a route to the win for Kunchenko by imposing superior striking, composure and pace in the feet, while doing good enough defending the takedown attempts and clinch game, which has been Kunchenko's strategy in many of his fights.
About getting the KO, if he manages to place a good punch in that chin Okami may fold, happened to him not only when got KOed, has been in shaky legs against Lombard, Belcher or Bradley too.

Well that has been Okami's strategy for many of his fights, but I dont think it is the case here.
Im not sure at all about Kunchenko taking advange by engaging in the clinch with Okami though, not even sure about him being able to force Yushin to play the clinch in case he doesnt want to.

I can see a route to the win for Kunchenko by imposing superior striking, composure and pace in the feet, while doing good enough defending the takedown attempts and clinch game, which has been Kunchenko's strategy in many of his fights.
About getting the KO, if he manages to place a good punch in that chin Okami may fold, happened to him not only when got KOed, has been in shaky legs against Lombard, Belcher or Bradley too.
But these are much bigger man, i don't think Kunchenko can do that off the bat. He looked really small against Thiago, almost LW small.
I like Kunchenko's clinch work, he's pretty good with knees and goes often to the body, against Butenko that worked well. Okami's jab is too good and with a 5'' reach advantage, it will be very hard to Kunchenko outstrike him.

But these are much bigger man, i don't think Kunchenko can do that off the bat. He looked really small against Thiago, almost LW small.
I like Kunchenko's clinch work, he's pretty good with knees and goes often to the body, against Butenko that worked well. Okami's jab is too good and with a 5'' reach advantage, it will be very hard to Kunchenko outstrike him.

I like Kunchenko's clinch work too, but I actually think its gonna be harder for him to overcome the size disadvantage in grappling than in the striking department.
Okami is huge and a fuckin beast in the clinch man, he was known for overpowering MWs from there, and is dangerous with knees there too.

I dont know how high do you rate Kunchenko's striking, but while I think Okami's standup is often underrated, I could see Kunchenko outplaying Okami in the feet, despite the reach handicap.
A finish in this fight I think it's unlikely

Last edited:
I like Kunchenko's clinch work too, but I actually think its gonna be harder for him to overcome the size disadvantage in grappling than in the striking department.
Okami is huge and a fuckin beast in the clinch man, he was known for overpowering MWs from there, and is dangerous with knees there too.

I dont know how high do you rate Kunchenko's striking, but while I think Okami's standup is often underrated, I could see Kunchenko outplaying Okami in the feet, despite the reach handicap.
A finish in this fight I think it's unlikely
Yeah, you are probably right, and while i don't like it, i gotta admit it's a fascinating fight because will probably tell a lot about where both man are at this moment of their careers. I hope Kunchenko can get it done, maybe going for the in-fighting and spamming uppercuts, a la Tim Boetsch..

Yeah, you are probably right, and while i don't like it, i gotta admit it's a fascinating fight because will probably tell a lot about where both man are at this moment of their careers. I hope Kunchenko can get it done, maybe going for the in-fighting and spamming uppercuts, a la Tim Boetsch..

Yeah, actually thats the most glaring weakness of Okami in my opinion, if cant keep the fight at the end of his jab, nor clinching, he is pretty clueless. I dont give him any chance in professional boxing not even at the local scene lol.
In a cage though, it is easier sayd than done against Okami, he is real crafty forcing the clinch and Kunchenko doesnt have the brute power of Tim Boetsch, much bigger and one of the heaviest hitters at 185lbs

The best chance for Kunchenko imo is making it a kickboxing match, I dont think Okami can just jab away Kunchenko as he used to do againt sloppy, slow MWs. Kunchenko has better fundamentals in the feet than that imo. Lately Okami has shown more diverse striking though, especially with kicks, but not sure if its enough to win a kickboxing match with Kunchenko

Last edited:
Okami actually has a decent win streak at 170

I'll pick him by decision but won't be shocked if he gets finished

Weird how no one has any problem with Okami cutting 30 something pounds to fight at WW. Any Brazilian, Russian or American does it and they are cheating.

Weird how no one has any problem with Okami cutting 30 something pounds to fight at WW. Any Brazilian, Russian or American does it and they are cheating.

I think people generally hate on fighters who actually miss weight. It doesn matter nationality.
Anyways, Okami doesnt cut 30 pounds to make 170. He has done it plenty of times and never had problems with it. He was making the cut for a Pancrase or Deep payday in Japan not that long ago, a guy with his credentials is not killing himself with a massive weight cut for that

Back