2: Ocean Boulevard - Lana Del Ray
1: SAVED! - Reverend Kristen Michael Hayter

Singles:

5: Dumbest Girl Alive - 100 Gecs

4: God Loves You - JPEGMAFIA x Danny Brown

3: Go Dig My Grave - Lankum

2: I Will be With You Always - Reverend Kristen Michael Hayter

1: A&W - Lana Del Ray

The biggest surprise for me this year was Lana. I started college at about the same time her career first took off, and every basic Northface-wearing white chick couldn't shut up about her. I was thoroughly unimpressed by her early music, so I completely wrote her off for the longest time. A friend of mine insisted that I give her newest album a listen, and I pretty quickly fell in love with it. At some point I'm sure I'll go through her discography to see what I missed, and to figure out how she went from her first album (which I still think is ass) to Ocean Blvd. (which I think it's basically a perfect pop album).

Last edited:
Reactions: MRT
For me...

Best Albums of 2023:

1.) Struggler by Genisis Owusu

A mix of hip-hop, psychedelia, funk, and even a little new wave. Here he is performing back in May at World Cafe Live in Philly:

2.) Silver by Say She She
3.) Crying, Waving, Laughing, Smiling by Slaughter Beach, Dog

Honorable Mention: Lucky For You by Bully

Best Singles of 2023:

1.) jamcod by The Jesus and Mary Chain

Single dropped in November, but the album doesn't come out until March 2024. Very danceable:

2.) Nothing's Wrong by Miss Grit
3.) Tied Up! by Genesis Owusu

Honorable Mention: Astral Plane by Say She She

What albums and tracks do you guys have for the best in this foul year of our Lord, 2023?

Albums

1. Sadness/Abriction - Sadness/Abriction
2. Abcrition - Instersates
3. Sprain - The lamb as effigy
4. Reverend Kristin Michael Hayter - SAVED
5. Caroline Polachek - Desire, I want to turn into you
Favourite songs. (one per album)
5. Danny Brown & JPEG Mafia - Scaring the hoes

4. Revered Kristin Michael Hayter - I will be with you always

3. Sprain - Reiterations

2. Abriction - Rose gold

1. Abriction - Her summer morning sky

Song and album. Been listening to it since May and haven't gotten sick of them. Then went back and listened to their old stuff which is even better.

Albums

3. Sprain - Reiterations

2. Abriction - Rose gold

The new Caroline Polachek album is so fucking good...

I actually only gave it a shot about a month ago, and I'm pretty in love with it. If I made a top 10 list I'm pretty sure it'd be there.

Come to think of it, between Lana Del Ray, 100 Gecs, and Caroline Polachek, this was an oddly good year for pop (at least as long as your definition of pop is pretty broad). Two of my top five albums and at least three of my top ten are pop.

Rat Saw God by Wednesday was the standout album for me in 2023.

IMG_3451_grande.jpg

The biggest surprise for me this year was Lana. I started college at about the same time her career first took off, and every basic Northface-wearing white chick couldn't shut up about her. I was thoroughly unimpressed by her early music, so I completely wrote her off for the longest time. A friend of mine insisted that I give her newest album a listen, and I pretty quickly fell in love with it. At some point I'm sure I'll go through her discography to see what I missed, and to figure out how she went from her first album (which I still think is ass) to Ocean Blvd. (which I think it's basically a perfect pop album).

LOL - same here. I just refused to listen to her for all that time, so she was very much a 'discovery' for me in 2023 too. Her new album is great. Going back through her stuff, I actually really like Born to Die (2012) though...it quickly grew on me after a few listens and I think it is solid pretty much the whole way through, which is saying something for a 24 track album (the special version). She has quite a catalogue...new respect for her.

I didn't listen to a ton of albums this year (lots of playlists, singles, etc.)...but I can't even begin to guess how many times these two were (and still are) played, so my 1a and 1b are:

Death Cab for Cutie - Asphalt Meadows (Acoustic)
Lana del Rey - Did you know there's a Tunnel Under Ocean Boulevard

Another decent one is Romy - Mid Air, but not on par with the above. Heard a lot of good about Danny Brown & JPEGMAFIA's album, but still haven't given it a full listen...it's on the list.

The new Caroline Polachek album is so fucking good...

I actually only gave it a shot about a month ago, and I'm pretty in love with it. If I made a top 10 list I'm pretty sure it'd be there.

Come to think of it, between Lana Del Ray, 100 Gecs, and Caroline Polachek, this was an oddly good year for pop (at least as long as your definition of pop is pretty broad). Two of my top five albums and at least three of my top ten are pop.

Btw on the subject of Lana check out Norman fucking Rockwell, that's her best album by quite a distance imo. It's in my top 20 for the 2010s.

Btw on the subject of Lana check out Norman fucking Rockwell, that's her best album by quite a distance imo. It's in my top 20 for the 2010s.
I like NFR, but I still prefer Ocean Blvd. The more stripped down production suits Lana's vocals better imo.

On a related note, am I the only one who thought she was British for the longest fucking time? I thought she just sang in an American accent (like Adele).

Albums

Harms Way - Common Suffering
Dying Fetus - Make Them Beg For Death
Overkill - Scorched
Drain - Living Proof

Favorite Albums of 2023 in no Specific Order:

Health - Rat Wars:

Aesop Rock - Integrated Tech Solutions:

slowdive - everything is alive:

Model/Actriz - Dogsbody:

Armand Hammer - We Buy Diabetic Test Strips:

Albums:
5: Liturgy - 93696
4: Scaring the Hoes - JPEGMAFIA x Danny Brown
3: 10,000 Gecs - 100 Gecs
2: Ocean Boulevard - Lana Del Ray
1: SAVED! - Reverend Kristen Michael Hayter

Singles:

5: Dumbest Girl Alive - 100 Gecs

4: God Loves You - JPEGMAFIA x Danny Brown

3: Go Dig My Grave - Lankum

2: I Will be With You Always - Reverend Kristen Michael Hayter

1: A&W - Lana Del Ray

JPEG fucked up the mix on that record. The production drowns out the lyrics to where you can barely here him and Danny. It's a shame. I want to like the album more than I do.

Albums

3. Sprain - Reiterations

2. Abriction - Rose gold

That Sprain album slaps.

JPEG fucked up the mix on that record. The production drowns out the lyrics to where you can barely here him and Danny. It's a shame. I want to like the album more than I do.
I don't really think he fucked up the mix on the whole album, but I do think the mix on the first track (Lean beef patty) wax pretty shit. I don't really have any complaints elsewhere, but I do agree that Danny's verse was pretty drowned out there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back