Your Thoughts on Topuria Calling Out Conor?

Leonard Haid

Minimalist Living the Illusory Dream
@red
Reaction score
Conor's superstar staying power is unbelievable. New Featherweight champ calling out someone who hasn't fought at FW for 9 years....unbelievable.

Thought it was silly what weight do you want that fight at 185 c'mon now. A more sensible callout if he's looking for a big fight would have been O'Malley.

Conor is too big for him and Tops style is tailor made for Conor, the short aggressive striker always struggles against Conor. But if any FW could have had a chance against Conor, it’s him

Stupid. If this was years ago it would make sense, but Connor's been finished multiple times hasn't fought in forever and outside of a fake payday - and I say fake because I don't think Connor deserves the kind of money he's going to get paid anymore - I don't see what this could possibly do for his career. Dustin poirier knocked him out.

JxJc1uk.gif

He's not expecting to get the fight... Even he knows Conor's not making 145 again.

A twitter/Instagram beef is probable though, and that will boost Ilia's following, and his earning-potential with it.

Welcome to MMA in 2024.

<FutbolThink>

Makes total sense why people are still calling him out. He presents fewer risks at this stage (they're not calling out the version of the guy that fought Eddie at MSG) and still presents massive rewards. He's a big name and if he ever fights again, it will command attention and generate a lot of hype and get eyes that aren't typically on the product to tune in for the event.

I guess my thought is that it seems like a waste of a call out since Chandler himself who supposedly is booked to fight him can't even seem to get the fight, but I certainly don't think it hurts any of the guys who are calling him out. At worst, they elicit some eye rolls from same fans who view it as ridiculous and transparent. At best, they get Conor interested in the fight and potentially get a bigger pay day.

Entirely pointless.

Conor is likely not even going down to 155 again (certainly not 145), never mind for a guy like Topuria. WTF does Conor gain by even engaging with Ilia?

We get it, Ilia wants money lol...he will just have to find another way to earn it, because Conor is not the path. Defend once or twice, look for O'Malley to do the same, and then there is a big fight to be made there for both of them.

I think calling out Conor is cringe as hell nowadays. All the fans know it just means the guy wants a big pay day for little work since Conor is a shell of his former self.

Call out someone who is a badass TODAY and make us care about that shit. That's much more exciting than another boring McGregor Payday Begging/Callout.

That's my only criticism of Ilia. All the bs about not fighting top contenders and only going for big name money fights is obnoxious.

Back