Your thoughts on Side Kicks?

Side kicks are like that gadgety shit in the SkyMall catalog.

You buy it because you think you'll use it all the time but once you get it, you have to look for excuses to use it only because you spent money (time) on it.

Side kicks are like that gadgety shit in the SkyMall catalog.

You buy it because you think you'll use it all the time but once you get it, you have to look for excuses to use it only because you spent money (time) on it.

Thats a lot of it for me, cutting my losses isn't something my brain can handle.

Doesnt matter, fighters still use Side Kicks to push their opponents away all the time
your not gonna get any power off a front legged side kick anyways

You can get significant power with a front side kick

I can usually pick the people who have come from TKD or Karate by their use of side kicks (and spinning back kicks). Sometimes I'm able to throw out a quick front teep and nullify it.
Or move off @ 45 degrees + parry the leg.
But sometimes I just got to wear it.

I can usually pick the people who have come from TKD or Karate by their use of side kicks (and spinning back kicks). Sometimes I'm able to throw out a quick front teep and nullify it.
Or move off @ 45 degrees + parry the leg.
But sometimes I just got to wear it.

That's what I've noticed. If someone is REALLY good with them, you just gotta eat a few. I can handle eating a few side kicks. Spinning back kicks are a little more intolerable.

That's what I've noticed. If someone is REALLY good with them, you just gotta eat a few. I can handle eating a few side kicks. Spinning back kicks are a little more intolerable.

Spinning back kick + solar plexus = good times.

If someone is REALLY good with them, you just gotta eat a few.
I remember getting whacked with one (moderate power) and I shit you not I didn't feel that much impact on the front, but it felt like I was belted right in the middle of the back. 'Twas very bloody weird.

I got caught with that combo (SBK + Solar Plexus) and it certainly wasn't a good time. lol.
I sorta froze then crumpled in a heap.

It's funny, I'm actually experimenting with side kicks right now. It's actually very easy to learn and apply, I had a much easier time getting to know this kick than the teep and roundhouse.

A buddy of mine hit me with a spinning back kick as I was moving in on him. It hit me right in the liver. I had always heard Bas talk about hitting people in the liver. Now I know why. My arms drew in towards my body and I went to my butt. I couldn't control it. It's like getting kicked in a pair of balls in your chest you didn't even know you had.

one of my instructors has a wicked side kick, but he has spent his entire career to perfect it.

IMHO, you are handicapping yourself if you do not try to gain a proficiency in every type of kick/strike. Every opponent is different, you never know when a "useless" kick can turn a fight

I remember getting whacked with one (moderate power) and I shit you not I didn't feel that much impact on the front, but it felt like I was belted right in the middle of the back. 'Twas very bloody weird.

I got caught with that combo (SBK + Solar Plexus) and it certainly wasn't a good time. lol.
I sorta froze then crumpled in a heap.

odd...ill have to re-work my formula. SBK+SP=Crippling pain

Not a bad move to go to every now and then..... If its placed correctly on the chin or side of head... It could lead to a dazed or koed opponent.... But its more for a distance finder or keeping the opponent off you

one of my instructors has a wicked side kick, but he has spent his entire career to perfect it.

IMHO, you are handicapping yourself if you do not try to gain a proficiency in every type of kick/strike. Every opponent is different, you never know when a "useless" kick can turn a fight

No, handicapping is certainly what you can do to yourself when you waste your time on toy techniques. Front hook kick, for example.

Side kick is borderline.

No, handicapping is certainly what you can do to yourself when you waste your time on toy techniques. Front hook kick, for example.

Side kick is borderline.

Jin Ling Wing of the 4th Ding Dynasty used the Front Hook kick to devastating effect against all challengers.

Liu Hailong actually uses the front hook kick to great effect in Sanshou and Sanshou vs. Muay Thai bouts.

We won't get to see much evolution in the sport if all people are worried about is doing one twos.

Side kick is borderline.

Side kick is way above border line.

I wouldn't waste years and years perfecting my inside crescent kick though

I'll just throw out their over the internet that I trained (basically got completely dominated) with a karate point fighting world champion who had a AMAZING lead leg hook kick its not for everyone and you have to be fairly side on to do it but I was genuinely shocked by it.

Back