Media You want the UFC at your town? Pay 6 million!

I must know zero about business, I figured UFC had to rent the venue, etc. LMAO.

Dana runs business the Trump way.
I'm not certain about this particular event but this is what I expect is happening.

The UFC would like to have an event in Hawaii but likely the numbers don't stack up. They're probably willing to make a bit less than say a Vegas event in order to do it but the difference is too much.

The ufc figures the small Hawaiian community would benefit from hosting a major ufc event featuring their very own champion (financially and otherwise) and is giving them an opportunity to foot some of the bill in order to make it happen. This kind of thing is in fact quite common.

It appears the 6 million figure is just too much for their Hawaii's This is of course all speculation on my part

I don't know about in other countries but here in the USA, it's common for teams to tell the cities and season ticket holders to foot the bill for the entire 1 to 2 billion dollar stadiums. It's pretty crazy

Hawaii stadiums are small, and the biggest one they do have is 100% outside. So the UFC would have to downsize their show, and risk being rained out. It's not worth the risk without Hawaii investing into the show as well.

I saw a video clip of Coker saying how expensive it was to ship the cage and lighting shit here. Why doesn't the State of Hawaii invest in a proper regulation cage and lighting doo dads and store that for future events or to encourage future events?

Also, knowing UFC, they'd probably just pocket the $6 mil and then fill the card with shitty fighters no one wants to watch.

Hawaii stadiums are small, and the biggest one they do have is 100% outside. So the UFC would have to downsize their show, and risk being rained out. It's not worth the risk without Hawaii investing into the show as well.
There was already actual stadium bigwig talk about putting up one of those Manny Pacquiao Australia tents over the ring in the outdoor stadium to protect against the rain.

The current talk is replacing the arena with a bigger capacity one to encourage big shows to come.

It is. It’s a tiny state that is not self sufficient.
Why does it have so many luxury high rise condos popping up and so many exotic car dealerships like Ferrari/Maserati, etc? The biggest shopping mall has so many luxury stores that are usually mostly empty. Are druglords and crime bosses living here and buying up new high end real estate? I also see quite a bit of Corvettes on the road.

Hawaii sounds poor

overall maybe, but extremely wealthy people live in Hawaii.

Oprah, Mark Zuckerberg and a host of famous musicians and actors have houses there.

i think it's more like none of those rich people would want to waste $6m on a shitty UFC card.

A coworker's son got offered a fight in Bellator Hawaii but they said he had to pay for his own plane ticket and hotel

the other thing is, if they did make a UFC Hawaii, the prices for tickets would be insane.

Vegas tickets are already ridiculously priced and that's in Vegas. in Hawaii, raise everything by about 30% and you'll get the going rate in Hawaii.

A coworker's son got offered a fight in Bellator Hawaii but they said he had to pay for his own plane ticket and hotel
The military show is free to the military after all, so they're not making money from gate.

They should have cut costs by not bringing Chael, Josh, and especially Glazer here.

The UFC coming to a city brings a truckload of money to that city.

The times it came to Montreal it turned the city into MMA world for a weekend.
The news reported UFC didn't want to come when tourism was slow, but they wanted to come when tourism was already busy, so UFC wasn't exactly going to bring the crowd, but piggyback off the existing crowd.

If UFC was really going to bring the economic impact, they'd come when it's seasonally slow for tourism and bring their crowd of paying fans/travelers.

I don't know about in other countries but here in the USA, it's common for teams to tell the cities and season ticket holders to foot the bill for the entire 1 to 2 billion dollar stadiums. It's pretty crazy
That's probably for serious big boy sports where there's like a long season with many home games, so there's visitor spending to pump up the local economy. UFC is one and done.

Surely Hawaii with their $ from tourism can cover that.
There's a lot of illegal bed and breakfast businesses in residential areas and I'm guessing they aren't paying taxes.

It makes sense for Bellator to do a back to back event since they already incurred the costs to ship their cage and shit here.

Why does it have so many luxury high rise condos popping up and so many exotic car dealerships like Ferrari/Maserati, etc? The biggest shopping mall has so many luxury stores that are usually mostly empty. Are druglords and crime bosses living here and buying up new high end real estate? I also see quite a bit of Corvettes on the road.

Guessing it’s from outsiders and tourists. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Tourism is Hawaii ‘s biggest industry if I recall correctly. From what you’re saying, real estate is taking off. Makes sense. The views are gorgeous.

Back