"You have to take it from the champion..."

As previously stated it's a boxing saying, which make sense because there's an even number of rounds in boxing so you actually have to do more than just fight even or it's a draw and the champion keeps their belt. In MMA it's an odd number of rounds so you just have to win 3 rounds.

I think you're reading too much into it. He said it was a close fight and the people next to him had it the other way.

"Tie goes to the runner," in baseball is somewhat similar. In a very close fight, the champ gets the nod. Since there is a big subjective element to judging, that's more what it means.

I think it really boils down to how much you score Strickland's jab or not.

I'm fine with DDP winner though.

Nah, if you lose, you lose. Imagine a NBA team wins 102-100 against the champs but they still lose because they didn't beat them by at least 10 points.

Who here would really be upset if it was a draw?

What I saw was Strickland initially outfighting DDP for the first 2 and a half rounds, Sean actually looked clearly like the bigger man to me, Plessis may be more muscular but Sean is just bigger in general. It seemed like the guy who had to make adjustments in the fight in order to defend himself more effectively was Dricus, Sean just seemed to take the lead early and never seemed to lose momentum. Dricus looked better as the fight went on but nothing he did really make Sean look worse while Dricus was wearing that eye two rounds before the cuts on Strickland.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back