You guys are overrating Gus

Its not that he is overrated.

I think he is rated exactly where he is.... A great fighter, but loses to AJ, DC and Jones most of the times.

Its not like he could never beat these guys, but out of 10 i give most to the ones i mentioned.

Most unbiased people see it like this no? I think only gus nuthuggers would disagree.

Gus has a huge reach advantage over Texeira. This is what made those uppercuts, hooks, spinning elbows work. If you're the shorter fighter with less reach, no way in hell do any of those strikes connect.

Glover also had no way of cornering Gus. He didn't have the clinch or wrestling game and Gus straight up turned his back and ran away half the fight.

Gus looked good this week because it was a good match up for him but I'd still favor Jones, Cormier, and Rumble.

200.gif

I wouldn't say he's overrated but I will saying people are acting like Gus doesn't also look good but chokes when he meets 1-2 in the division.

Not expecting him to win the belt, ever but he'll hang around till he misses another shot at the title and contemplate retirement again.

Nope, He will hang around, lose another title match, then run to Bellator and try to win a fake title like all the other people who couldnt win titles in the UFC. I.e. Rory, Phil Davis, Meathead, Congo, Bader, Benson (though he did win in UFC), etc etc.

Gus has a huge reach advantage over Texeira. This is what made those uppercuts, hooks, spinning elbows work. If you're the shorter fighter with less reach, no way in hell do any of those strikes connect.

Glover also had no way of cornering Gus. He didn't have the clinch or wrestling game and Gus straight up turned his back and ran away half the fight.

Gus looked good this week because it was a good match up for him but I'd still favor Jones, Cormier, and Rumble.

lol he destroyed Glover way worse than Jones did. Jones couldnt even finish Glover. So if Gus is overrated then what does that make Jones? And Jones has 4 more inches of reach than Alex.

This is Sherdog...reach advantage is the only reason Jones wins...everyone else is just skilled.

Okaaay... So that's why Jon Jones finished OSP just as brutal in his last fight, RIGHT?

Having a 4" reach advantage and all, it surely couldn't have gone any other way? I mean, it's obviously as easy as that.

Oh wait... Now I remember! He looked like shit and had to grind through 5 rounds to get the W against the guy who both Manuwa and Glover was able to finish.

I guess you're right though. It was totally the reach alone that made Gus into the fighter we saw yesterday. Thanks for sharing your expertise!

Back