You ever know anyone who lives the 4 Hour Work Week lifestyle? Like, travels world & works remotely?

Hi new poster here. I actually signed up as I have a lot of free time and I enjoy the Mayberry section and have been reading it for a while but decided to give my input.

I actually live this lifestyle currently. I have my own tech business that runs itself and I have repeat clients. So unless I want to make more money I don't have to work and can wait for the next PO. I make 6 figures easily BUT my cost of living is very high as I live a costly life. I am not a saver who plays it safe for a rainy day.

Having said that I've done the traveling, living in (Hamptons, Newport RI, LA, etc all in the US none outside), gambling, sex, sleep.

I have very little stress but boredom sets in. Everyone else is working so it's not like I have people to hang out with who have the freedom I do.

I've never read the tim ferris book but initially I thought it was a sales pitch and not feasible but now I know it can be done.

It has to be in my opinion high tech and not service related, very few employees to manage(I have one backing me up), one that you are not tied to geography where you have to be at a certain location to assist your clients.

Before anyone calls me fake, I have no reason to lie about this. I'm not trying to impress anyone, not looking for business on here, or to be one of those internet braggarts which we all know all too well.

I'm a happy person so part of that chase for happiness is not working a lot of hours and not having a boss. I'm not married btw

Thanks Tim, and welcome to sherdog.

Been my lifestyle for the past 7 years or so.

edit - i work more than 4 hours a week though. if you want to do better than just survive, you got to work well. doesn't mean u need to do 40+ hour weeks, but you got to be efficient and driven when you work and you can't get complacent.

fun story. i used to make a shitload of money with affiliate marketing in the travel niche. I made a lot through Agoda specifically. They had a 30 day cookie for affiliates with generous percentages, which is how they grew to dominate asia. After they won the market, they changed their affiliate program to a 24 hour cookie, which decimated my affiliate income.

business (especially tech business online) is ALWAYS changing and it changes fucking fast. you might find a great way to make money and sit around working 4 hours a week. then the next month, that gravy train is fucking gone. So thats why you need to diversify your income and keep hustling even when you got a good thing going.

Yup, this seems like the most likely story. Most or all of the examples of Ferriss gives in his book for online businesses are now gone..... I've considered putting time in to learning stuff like selling via Amazon Affiliate, but with my luck, the business would probably work for a year before it dries up.

I'm a 100% commission sales guy in an industry likely to see massive changes/get wiped out in the next 10 years. Have no idea what I'll do then lol

Hi new poster here. I actually signed up as I have a lot of free time and I enjoy the Mayberry section and have been reading it for a while but decided to give my input.

I actually live this lifestyle currently. I have my own tech business that runs itself and I have repeat clients. So unless I want to make more money I don't have to work and can wait for the next PO. I make 6 figures easily BUT my cost of living is very high as I live a costly life. I am not a saver who plays it safe for a rainy day.

Having said that I've done the traveling, living in (Hamptons, Newport RI, LA, etc all in the US none outside), gambling, sex, sleep.

I have very little stress but boredom sets in. Everyone else is working so it's not like I have people to hang out with who have the freedom I do.

I've never read the tim ferris book but initially I thought it was a sales pitch and not feasible but now I know it can be done.

It has to be in my opinion high tech and not service related, very few employees to manage(I have one backing me up), one that you are not tied to geography where you have to be at a certain location to assist your clients.

Before anyone calls me fake, I have no reason to lie about this. I'm not trying to impress anyone, not looking for business on here, or to be one of those internet braggarts which we all know all too well.

I'm a happy person so part of that chase for happiness is not working a lot of hours and not having a boss. I'm not married btw

I'd be interested to learn more about what exactly you do, I'm sort of in the tech industry and well read enough to at least understand the outlines. Feel free to PM me if you want. I hear you on the '6 figures but I live in an expensive city' thing, that's me now. You could conceivably work remotely too I'd imagine, though the time zone thing I mentioned originally with clients could be a pain.

You ever think about what you'd do if your industry changes and you lose your income? I only ask because I think about it constantly.....

If you are single, it is possible. As soon as you get married....haha....good luck.

@Soma

Are you from San Francisco and live "South of Market"? Just curious about your ID.
Soma is a sleep aid, mild narcotic, and the drug of mass pacification from the book Brave New World

Yes, I am from SF. Just a coincidence about my user name being the same term used for the south of market area though. Hah. Are you from SF too?

My user name "Soma" comes from the Brave New World book, as Toxic mentioned. I always liked the sound of the word, hah.

The people I know who travel all time in their late 20s early 30s are either the following

- self employed
- dont have large expenses (mortgage, rent aka still live at home)
- real estate (rental property, house flipping, buy n sell ect)

Seriously considering investing into real estate and cutting my work hours to 20ish.

Someone said it tho, still gotta work your ass off so that in time when you invest smart, you can eventually cut your hours.

I'd be interested to learn more about what exactly you do, I'm sort of in the tech industry and well read enough to at least understand the outlines. Feel free to PM me if you want. I hear you on the '6 figures but I live in an expensive city' thing, that's me now. You could conceivably work remotely too I'd imagine, though the time zone thing I mentioned originally with clients could be a pain.

You ever think about what you'd do if your industry changes and you lose your income? I only ask because I think about it constantly.....
Sounds like we should talk. Lets schedule a time to talk.

this makes a lot of sense. i know a bunch of people who don't work and many of them fall into category 1^^^ above or they actively invest.

I agree. Without a huge safety net to support us, it takes alot of time to get to the point where they can do this, as life is usually a struggle young.

#3 is the most wildly successful person I know, and I'm sorta proud of him. He's actually responsible for a sizable amount of that states education funds. He's like a nonviolent Scarface. He has Sugar gliders.

Yes, I am from SF. Just a coincidence about my user name being the same term used for the south of market area though. Hah. Are you from SF too?

My user name "Soma" comes from the Brave New World book, as Toxic mentioned. I always liked the sound of the word, hah.

Not currently but I lived at Jackson and Battery a few years ago.

Yup, this seems like the most likely story. Most or all of the examples of Ferriss gives in his book for online businesses are now gone..... I've considered putting time in to learning stuff like selling via Amazon Affiliate, but with my luck, the business would probably work for a year before it dries up.

I'm a 100% commission sales guy in an industry likely to see massive changes/get wiped out in the next 10 years. Have no idea what I'll do then lol

sales is one of the best backgrounds you can have for working online.

If you are single, it is possible. As soon as you get married....haha....good luck.

I know quite a few married people or couples working online. it definitely is true that it is easier to get started when you have less liabilities (mortgage, kids, bills etc) though, but plenty of people still do it and succeed.

I've been doing this for many years and met a lot of very wealthy people who made their money online, along with a lot of struggling dreamers or digital fakeys as I like to call them.

I've been strongly considering doing this..... I live in a big city now but am single with no kids, can do my job remotely, and have no particular responsibilities or ties that would keep me from doing so. I'd be open to traveling to Europe, South America (Buenos Aires is supposed to be great), Southeast Asia, Australia etc. Only real downsides I can see are:

Time zones (I'd have to be awake some pretty odd times as I'd be working remotely and still have to be responsive to e-mails, calls etc. This wouldn't be the case in South America, but I'd be like a vampire in Asia- up all night and sleeping during the day)
Housing when I return home (I suppose I could buy a condo here in the US just so I have a home base and place to store furniture, but it'd be a hassle, my credit's not amazing, and I'm an independent contractor- bad for getting a mortgage. Wouldn't make sense to rent an apartment and then be gone half the time- but then when I returned home I'd have to rent one from scratch)

Any Sherbros ever live the Tim Ferriss lifestyle? Or, know someone who has and has tips?

EDIT: OK, I can see the title of Ferriss' book is misleading. The point of the book (and my post) is traveling around the world and working remotely- not just working 4 hours a week, which seems unlikely unless you're already loaded. My question was, is anyone else traveling the world.....
Hey man if you can figure out a way to travel abroad and make money while you do it, go for it 100%. That's my fucking dream. I just can't conceive of a way to do that in the short term although I'm working on the means to possibly be able to do that down the road.

Some great advice on this thread. Im just marking it to come back to read it later

I know a Pick Up guru who lives the vagabond life in Asia. Once he quit teaching ESL in Japan and started teaching pickup full time, his visa expired and he was forced to travel constantly. He mostly holds his seminars on the weekends, and let's potential clients know where he'll be and when for seminars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back