'You either retire a GSP or Khabib, or compete long enough to become a Tony Ferguson.'

I'm not here to cheerlead for khabib...im merely pointing out that gsp beat a one eyed guy that qualifies as disabled in his home country. 🤣
Lol your 'salty' argument would gold alot more water if you didn't type an entire convoluted word salad oozing rage.

get this through your head I never made any arguments for Khabib either way here . U keep bringing him up not me lol.

Again...just to drill it in your head.. bisping was blind in one eye when he fought gsp, and at the :eek::eek::eek: end of his career.. so gsp didn't even fight the mildly competitive version...

Khabib could have the shittest legacy ever. I don't care ..that don't change George's wanton opportunism.

@mods

this guy dishonors Sudo.

Take his username away.

I like these types of discussions amongst Sherdoggers in-between major PPVs. We're the type to visit the heavies for serious discussion rather than single-digit IQ nuthugging.

Seems like legends like GSP & Khabib made smart decisions to retire early while they were ontop, rather than staying too long fighting young and hungry challengers while their physical performance slowly degrades and leaves them vulnerable to humiliating losses that kill their status.

And Volk's moving up to 155 to challenge for the belt, twice, makes GSP's decision to not move up and fight A.Silva for the 185 belt retroactively a very wise move for their legacy and longstanding respect within the MMA fanbase... which to many is more valuable.

Unfortunately, far too many get too overzealous and stay too long, and that list of legendary fighters becoming the highlight reels of younger fighters is also too long. Father time is undefeated is clichè but also 1000% true.

As for Tony, he got screwed by the matchmakers, never giving him a shot at the legit belt when he absolutely deserved it far earlier in his career. He was better in his prime than most who've worn the 155 belt.

Anyway... thoughts about the 'You either retire a GSP or Khabib, or compete long enough to become a Tony Ferguson?'

Khabib is nothing like GSP

Khabib is nothing like GSP

The biggest surprise of this thread has been the sensitivity level of certain Sherdoggers regarding including both Khabib & GSP in the thread title.

The reason why both were included is self-evident once reading the entire OP.

I think the real lesson on Fergerson is the danger of becoming a fighter a promoter "trades in", keeps putting into fights they expect you to lose to get over other talent.

When you end up in that position the damage you take can stack up very quickly, I suspect for example that most of Gary Goodridges problems with CTE are down to his latter run in K-1.

The biggest surprise of this thread has been the sensitivity level of certain Sherdoggers regarding including both Khabib & GSP in the thread title.

The reason why both were included is self-evident once reading the entire OP.

I get what the OP is saying, I just don't agree with the notion that GSP retired early just because he retired on a win. When he retired he'd been champ for 6 years and fought in 11 consecutive title fights.

I get what the OP is saying, I just don't agree with the notion that GSP retired early just because he retired on a win. When he retired he'd been champ for 6 years and fought in 11 consecutive title fights.

GSP& Khabib both retired....

*...in their early 30s.
*...as Champion.
*...as the two most respected fighters that did both of the above.

And I could have named far more fighters than just Tony Ferguson as the opposite example.

Last edited:
Jones being the odd exception for now,we'll see how it finally goes.

He got finished twice and now he's compared to Tony Ferguson on a 7 fight losing streak? GTFO with this sensational "wow that's deeeeep" zoomer tweeting shit. And no, there are plenty of guys who don't retire at the top of the hill or get buried underneath it. PLENTY of fighters enjoy a good career without the extremes. Jim Miller anyone? Literally most fighters end their careers in the middle.

Last edited:
Reactions: HHJ
Dont even compare habib with GSP and Tony is as big as GSP and ran to lightweight.Heres a pic of them together its pathetic really.

https://www.lowkickmma.com/tony-ferguson-is-training-with-gsp-freddie-roach-ahead-of-ufc-262/
yall are really giving him shit for being tall in his weight class. some people just built different than others....gsp is a boxy broad dude and tony is lanky.

but yeah, khabib is not goat tier with gsp. i would put him in a tier just below gsp,bones,fedor, mighty mouse, and aldo (maybe I'd put DC here). he's in the broader tier of cain, cro-cop, stipe, benson henderson,hughes, izzy, randy, wandy, iceman, tito etc.

yall are really giving him shit for being tall in his weight class. some people just built different than others....gsp is a boxy broad dude and tony is lanky.

but yeah, khabib is not goat tier with gsp. i would put him in a tier just below gsp,bones,fedor, mighty mouse, and aldo. he's in the tier of cain, cro-cop, stipe, benson henderson,hughes, izzy, etc.
3 Lightweight fighters that should have fought at welterweight are sunglasses man Diaz and Cowboy. I wish Werdum had put a beating on sunglasses man.

I like these types of discussions amongst Sherdoggers in-between major PPVs. We're the type to visit the heavies for serious discussion rather than single-digit IQ nuthugging.

Seems like legends like GSP & Khabib made smart decisions to retire early while they were ontop, rather than staying too long fighting young and hungry challengers while their physical performance slowly degrades and leaves them vulnerable to humiliating losses that kill their status.

And Volk's moving up to 155 to challenge for the belt, twice, makes GSP's decision to not move up and fight A.Silva for the 185 belt retroactively a very wise move for their legacy and longstanding respect within the MMA fanbase... which to many is more valuable.

Unfortunately, far too many get too overzealous and stay too long, and that list of legendary fighters becoming the highlight reels of younger fighters is also too long. Father time is undefeated is clichè but also 1000% true.

As for Tony, he got screwed by the matchmakers, never giving him a shot at the legit belt when he absolutely deserved it far earlier in his career. He was better in his prime than most who've worn the 155 belt.

Anyway... thoughts about the 'You either retire a GSP or Khabib, or compete long enough to become a Tony Ferguson?'

Tony’s career got ruined by Khabib pulling out stylistically Khabib and Gaethje are way different and he even dropped Gaethje till he got caught

3 Lightweight fighters that should have fought at welterweight are sunglasses man Diaz and Cowboy. I wish Werdum had put a beating on sunglasses man.
you clearly have some weird hate boner towards taller fighters lmaoooo

you clearly have some weird hate boner towards taller fighters lmaoooo
Dont worry bout me noob I been into martial arts since the 80s and mma before weight classes. I dont like fighters who fight people smaller than them. Now piss off loser.

Tony’s career got ruined by Khabib pulling out stylistically Khabib and Gaethje are way different and he even dropped Gaethje till he got caught
lets just take the nostalgia glasses off, i love el cucuy but he isn't stopping khabib in his prime either. maybe he could give him a cut or two but he's still taking the loss. his demise was inevitable...its not really his fault or anybodyelses, it stings but it is what it is.

Dont worry bout me noob I been into martial arts since the 80s and mma before weight classes. I dont like fighters who fight people smaller than them. Now piss off loser.
pops, is that you? why are you so pressed....it ridiculous to limit ppl to fighting the same heights as them. we wouldn't get classics like fedor vs. schilt, dc/tyson vs. literally everyone in his career,, frye vs. takayama....you get where i am going here now?

Last edited:
Stupid quote. Plenty of inbetweens. Or never haves

Back