Television X-MEN '97 (First Official Trailer, post #292)

First 2 episodes were pretty good. makes me want to watch the original.

BTW that part Jean is in the Astral Plane and that sentinel comes out was a blatant nod to Onslaught. Xavier dead, Magneto back ... see where this is going. Any cameo from Juggs confirms it.

Mastermold also looks like Onslaught

Onslaught: Know my name and fear it, I am Onslaught
Mastermold: Behold mutant and despair for I am death i am Mastermold.

Last edited:
makes me want to watch the original.

I endorse this. I've been doing exactly that.

Been a nice trip down memory lane.

Skip out on the 5th Season though. That's when the show's quality goes to shit... namely the quality of animation, voiceacting, and storylines.

But check out the final episode, which explains how & why Xavier is 'killed.'

Additional interesting fact about the OG X-Men & Spider-man 90s series I recently learned - The animation was produced in Japan. Its difficult to tell the difference in Season 1&2, but with Season 3&4 the episode list went from 12 each season to 20, and there's a distinct change in the animation. Wouldn't say its an outright 'downgrade' but it definitely becomes more 'Japanese' especially with the palate of colors they chose.
Where did you hear that? From my understanding AKOM, a South Korean company, handled the animation from seasons 1-4, and season 5 was done by a Filipino company because Fox ordered them last minute and AKOM was busy.

Spiderman was done by TMS in Japan.

Where did you hear that? From my understanding AKOM, a South Korean company, handled the animation from seasons 1-4, and season 5 was done by a Filipino company because Fox ordered them last minute and AKOM was busy.

Heard it from a YouTube video, but they didn't provide a source so they could have been mistaken and you could be correct about South Korea.

First 2 episodes were pretty good. makes me want to watch the original.

BTW that part Jean is in the Astral Plane and that sentinel comes out was a blatant nod to Onslaught. Xavier dead, Magneto back ... see where this is going. Any cameo from Juggs confirms it.

Mastermold also looks like Onslaught

Onslaught: Know my name and fear it, I am Onslaught
Mastermold: Behold mutant and despair for I am death i am Mastermold.
I have no way, that I know of, to watch the original for a refresh, or the new series. Onslaught involved?! That would be cool. Actually there's a few characters that could be seen here and there to make things really awesome. I could really use some uplifting content. I rely on my mobile xmen game and it has been having issues since yesterday's update. At least I still have my xbox.
Edit: anyone good at making friends online? I scare ppl away with my voice. Either that or I always just get random invites to mass parties. Which I have tried but it's always when I'm asleep so I gather it's from people on the non American side of teh world. Thanks in advance if anyone replies.

I have no way, that I know of, to watch the original for a refresh, or the new series. Onslaught involved?! That would be cool. Actually there's a few characters that could be seen here and there to make things really awesome. I could really use some uplifting content. I rely on my mobile xmen game and it has been having issues since yesterday's update. At least I still have my xbox.
Google "x-men animated ai upscale archive"

I use mpv video player with a CRT shader to make it feel even more nostalgic.

*Psylocke was in only a few episodes of Season 4, which I consider to be the series finales. She was merely a side-character, unfortunately.
One of if not the most underutilized character in the Marvel Universe. It's a travesty we haven't gotten much Psylocke. She was always one of my favorite X-men characters, for various reasons...

A lot of fans seem to think that Professor X is a nice guy. While Charles Xavier is a good man, he's really only nice compared to Magneto. And most people are nice when compared to Magneto.

Oh, and when the Red Skull dug up Xavier's body, cut out his brain and grafted it onto his own(yes, really)what he did to Magneto with Professor X's powers made that look like foreplay. :eek:😱

This.

The show's design sense was directly influenced by the early 1990s X-Men comics drawn by Jim Lee. For a brief period, Marvel wasn't too pleased with the animators embracing Jim Lee, most likely because the artist had recently left the company to form the rival publisher, Image. Still, the producers won this battle, and the show attempted to replicate the highly detailed Jim Lee look within the confines of a Saturday morning TV budget. The results were inconsistent, as the overseas studio AKOM often struggled to animate the more complicated designs.

The production company Saban, which was ultimately in charge of the show, viewed AKOM as capable of doing passable work within the bounds of the series' budget. Interestingly, the producers of Batman: The Animated Series considered AKOM as the weakest studio assigned to their show, one they were eager to drop at the first opportunity. The budget for X-Men, however, left AKOM as its chief animation studio.

"Beyond Good and Evil" was meant to be the series finale, until Fox ordered more episodes at the last minute. As such, the production of Season 5 had a distinctly different animation style. To save money, Saban produced the final episodes of the series in-house rather than involving Graz Entertainment, to whom it had outsourced production of the series. Saban hired a studio in the Philippines, the Philippine Animation Studio (which also worked on the second season of the 1994 Fantastic Four series) because the prior animation studio AKOM was unavailable due to other projects.

Also from what I know the lady deathstrike episode was done by a different animation studio but I have not found who did it. Also its said in the original version Lady had cleavage but had to be redrawn Apparently this is a picture of the unaired version

xotpst.jpg

lady_deathstrike_by_tatsunokoisthebest_dfbcr84-pre.jpg

Last edited:
A lot of fans seem to think that Professor X is a nice guy. While Charles Xavier is a good man, he's really only nice compared to Magneto. And most people are nice when compared to Magneto.

Oh he's far more complicated, a borderline villain, in the comics.

His 'school' for children is to build them into soldiers to possibly die for his 'dream' of a world with peace between mutants and humans.

And that's just the first layer of the onion of moral complexity. It reminds me of many of the historical figures we read about as children, and its as if there's a religious sainthood about them. Then as you grow older and mature you learn about their 'moral complexities' and realize that possibly the differences between them and the historical monsters (tyrants) is that they were of your own country, and won their battles.

I think one of the reasons why Marvel has withstood the test of time is because it grew beyond being 'childrens comic books' and grew up with its readers, as opposed to other franchises like Harry Potter and Star Wars that kept their targeted audience being children & teenagers.

Oh he's far more complicated, a borderline villain, in the comics.

His 'school' for children is to build them into soldiers to possibly die for his 'dream' of a world with peace between mutants and humans.

And that's just the first layer of the onion of moral complexity. It reminds me of many of the historical figures we read about as children, and its as if there's a religious sainthood about them. Then as you grow older and mature you learn about their 'moral complexities' and realize that possibly the differences between them and the historical monsters (tyrants) is that they were of your own country, and won their battles.

I think one of the reasons why Marvel has withstood the test of time is because it grew beyond being 'childrens comic books' and grew up with its readers, as opposed to other franchises like Harry Potter and Star Wars that kept their targeted audience being children & teenagers.

Yup. Xavier's a good man. What some people tend to forget is that good doesn't always mean nice. He will not hesitate to manipulate his students or even send them out to die in persuit of his dream.

One could make an argument that of the two, Magneto is more honest, since he doesn't pretend to be anything other than a ruthless bastard. I've always wondered if the difference between the two isn't so much moral as down to their respective power sets. Magneto is an Omega Level Mutant, who controls one of the four Fundamental Forces of the Universe. But when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. Magneto will simply try to destroy anything or anyone in his way(and to be fair, he often can).

By contrast, Xavier's ability to control minds as well as read them makes him perfectly suited to playing the subtle, long game. He doesn't need to attack enemies head on, like Eric does.

Yup. Xavier's a good man. What some people tend to forget is that good doesn't always mean nice. He will not hesitate to manipulate his students or even send them out to die in persuit of his dream.

One could make an argument that of the two, Magneto is more honest, since he doesn't pretend to be anything other than a ruthless bastard. I've always wondered if the difference between the two isn't so much moral as down to their respective power sets. Magneto is an Omega Level Mutant, who controls one of the four Fundamental Forces of the Universe. But when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. Magneto will simply try to destroy anything or anyone in his way(and to be fair, he often can).

By contrast, Xavier's ability to control minds as well as read them makes him perfectly suited to playing the subtle, long game. He doesn't need to attack enemies head on, like Eric does.
Eric is... well... he's a holocaust survivor. Hitler killed 6 million jews.
And he wants to genocide 6 billion humans, or have them 'serve' (slavery) mutants... 'homosuperior' as his term.

Never heard any rational explanation for that.

Eric is... well... he's a holocaust survivor. Hitler killed 6 million jews.
And he wants to genocide 6 billion humans, or have them 'serve' (slavery) mutants... 'homosuperior' as his term.

Never heard any rational explanation for that.

Everyone from Charles to the Red Skull have pointed out that, at heart, Eric is a hypocrite who wants to do to the entire human race what the Nazis did to the Jews. Magneto is the creed of, Never Again made flesh.

In one story, Magneto has taken over Genosha and turned it into a haven for Mutants under his rule and protection. He's still not satisfied.

Magneto, "We still need to find a more...definitive solution to the problem of humans".

Professor X, "I think the word you're looking for there, Eric, is Final..."

But the ultimate Fuck You to Magneto was delivered by - who else? - Alan Moore, who wrote a short story in which Magneto finally succeeds in wiping out the entire human race. He then has a nightmare in which billions of his victims rise from their graves, demanding justice...led by the ghost of Adolf Hitler. Who congratulates Magneto on learning the lessons of the Holocaust so well!

The look on Mag's face when he realises the freaking Fuhrer himself approves of what he's done is priceless. :eek: 😱

Last edited:
By the way, for those who don't know :

cable-187421.jpg

Cable's real name : Nathan Summers

After Episode 3 of '97, it really puts some moments of the OG series into perspective.

2:03-2:12

And there's a scene Cable gets in an argument with Cyclops, but I can't find it on YouTube.

Anyway, Cable knows Cyclops is his father, and doesn't care much.
Cyclops has no idea Cable is his son.

These layers of complexity was completely unheard of in kids shows, prior to X-Men.

But the ultimate Fuck You to Magneto was delivered by - who else? - Alan Moore, who wrote a short story in which Magneto finally succeeds in wiping out the entire human race. He then has a nightmare in which billions of his victims rise from their graves, demanding justice...led by the ghost of Adolf Hitler. Who congratulates Magneto on learning the lessons of the Holocaust so well!

Haven't heard about that story, for good reason.

Sounds like Alan Moore was far far past his prime as a writer at that point, like if Chuck Liddell came out of retirement today.

Instead of Writer's Block, Moore got Writers CTE?

TBH, he was never one of my favourite writers.

Same.
For every Killing Joke, Watchmen, or V For Vendetta there's a dozen othere things he wrote no one remembers or everyone wants to forget.

No writer bats a thousand, especially comic book authors.

Even my favorite writer, Brian Michael Bendis, which seemed like everything he touched throughout the 2000s was pure gold... everything in the 2010s was 'meh' at best, and he created Miles Morales.

Even still, a dozen or more pages ago in this thread I mentioned the smartest move Disney could do to get Disney+ profitable would be to start the MAU... Marvel Animated Universe... and calling Bendis up to be the head writer would be the best move they could make, along with Mark Millar.

They'd just have to adapt many of the Ultimate Spider-Man, X-Men, and Daredevil storylines they wrote into episodes. Guaranteed gold.

Back