wtf happened to WMMA

lmao this is so bad

rocky in full mount and has no idea how to lock in the sub
She got there by Silva literally collapsing. Then she sits there fishing for something as the other person gives a thumbs up and nothing happens. Then DC tries to salvage the situation by saying "wow that is so tight" and sure enough nothing happens. You can't make up anything worse. *shudders*

135 and non existant 145 are just bad without Ronda, Nunes, Cyborg, GDR, Pennington is on her way to the title!!!
This.

Female fighters are at their absolute best at 125 and below.

135+ introduces a significant amount of musculature (weight imbalance) that doesn't come naturally to female body proportions. The fights become sloppy and slow as a result.

It's the same reason why Asian fighters tend to do well at lighter weight classes. There is a biological component to their weight ceilings.

I'll tune in to watch Weili fight every time. She is a monster.

I remember when Nunes vs Zingano happened and I told my wife "they'll fight like hell because WMMA doesn't have legitimacy yet" and sure enough they fought like hell like the legitimacy of the sport depended on it. The WMMA fights back then were great.

And now we have this. Lackluster fights I can't bring myself to care about. A 15-9 person waging a lackluster fight against a lackluster contender for the undisputed title.

Don't ever tell me the sport has evolved and that is was soccer moms back when Ronda was in charge. This is ridiculous. I hate it being the co-main knowing nothing will happen and it'll just delay the main event.

When it was low skilled it was like watching bum fights. Now the skill is higher but the aggression is lower

The worst part is everyone knows it is going to decision. So it is going to make it the longest wait humanly possible guaranteed.
Bar folks keep asking, when is the main event?

....its next.

How many folks on SHERDOG didnt know this was a title?!

If Ronda ever wanted to comeback it be a good time now. There was a time I thought WMMA was evolving though gradually but lately it seems to being going in reverse.

Its interesting how a mediocre fighter from the "golden era" can now be champ.

So I speculate this. WMMA failed to recruit new talent.

Why? Those early girls like Rousey, Tate, Cyborg were esentially doing it as a passion. Money and fame wasn't a thing yet. MMA was a cool countercultural thing back in those days. Now MMA is no longer cool but kinda staid and its reputation for paying squat is well established. Without this coolness factor no new talent is appearing.

Weird how this is true in the higher weightclasses but less so the lower ones. Though even Esparza got her time in the sun.

I remember when Nunes vs Zingano happened and I told my wife "they'll fight like hell because WMMA doesn't have legitimacy yet" and sure enough they fought like hell like the legitimacy of the sport depended on it. The WMMA fights back then were great.

And now we have this. Lackluster fights I can't bring myself to care about. A 15-9 person waging a lackluster fight against a lackluster contender for the undisputed title.

Don't ever tell me the sport has evolved and that is was soccer moms back when Ronda was in charge. This is ridiculous. I hate it being the co-main knowing nothing will happen and it'll just delay the main event.
Strawweight and flyweight are the divisions to watch. Ignore bantamweight until a top tier talent appears. Without Nunes it is nothing.

115 has been nonstop action except for the bizarre Rose/Esparza 2 fight due to Rose's mental issues. She basically turned into Ngannou against Derrick Lewis. But every other title fight there has been fire.

Back