WSOF to create tournaments with $1million payouts...will any fighters leave UFC and chase payday

If I were the fighters, I'd ask for proof of the money, and that it be held in full in escrow, with only enough withdrawn each event to pay the fighters.

A 'season' just isn't going to work.
How many 'regular season' fights are each guy going to have ? How many total fighters will be in each weight class? How long is the regular season?
You can't do this inside a year. Definitely not in the US or Canada.

I hate to speak in absolutes, but if this happens, it'll fizzle out, be a huge disappointment and never happens again

Bellator ran tournaments like this for several years, just for a lot less money.

If I were the fighters, I'd ask for proof of the money, and that it be held in full in escrow, with only enough withdrawn each event to pay the fighters.

Even then, you're essentially running a round-robin tournament, which means injuries making top-guys fall out and secondary fighters taking their place. Those fighters likely will get lesser pay. And throughout the whole thing you're still going to have the same brass making a new ditch for themselves.

Boxing is doing the same thing this fall.

The difference?

Boxing is $50 million for 2 weight classes only

That means every boxer is guaranteed $1 million just to participate, win or lose. It will attract top boxers.

Heres the biggest difference - this is a league that is open to EVERY boxing promotion. Anybody can just go and fight as long as they are globally ranked Top 15.

Even then, you're essentially running a round-robin tournament, which means injuries making top-guys fall out and secondary fighters taking their place. Those fighters likely will get lesser pay. And throughout the whole thing you're still going to have the same brass making a new ditch for themselves.
Good points.

Boxing is doing the same thing this fall.

The difference?

Boxing is $50 million for 2 weight classes only

That means every boxer is guaranteed $1 million just to participate, win or lose. It will attract top boxers.

Heres the biggest difference - this is a league that is open to EVERY boxing promotion. Anybody can just go and fight as long as they are globally ranked Top 15.
Also the Boxing one will have tv giants backing them up most likely showtime. But in theory I like it to be honest

Also the Boxing one will have tv giants backing them up most likely showtime. But in theory I like it to be honest
While PFL calls itself a league, I still feel like its going to act as its own franchise/organization, which will be its biggest downfall

and yeah, I dont think they will have NBCSN backing them this time around

Back