WSOF NYC: 2/3 of the tickets were comped

That article paints a rough picture for WSOF.

It still boggles my mind how anyone would think investing in it was a good ideal. They can rebrand all they want but I doubt its going to do anything for them. You had fighters with name value, TV deal, money, and what seems like some of the right people in place and some not. In the end all of that couldn't get people to care one bit about the product. So to expect people to care about the revamp org I think is a pipe dream.

This is why I never get my hopes up about Bellator. Anytime we get some of these business numbers from lesser orgs than the UFC its been earth shattering bad over the years. Even some of the Bellator numbers with Bjorn around where just ugly at best.

Last edited:
MMA is this odd bubble that hasn't popped yet. But anyone in the industry will tell you there's no money in it. The model created only works for one company, UFC. And even that model is flawed with piles of loans out to keep it afloat.

MMA is this odd bubble that hasn't popped yet. But anyone in the industry will tell you there's no money in it. The model created only works for one company, UFC. And even that model is flawed with piles of loans out to keep it afloat.
Are you still employed by WSOF-GC?

I work for the WSOF and Bellator. WSOF just got a huge influx of cash (I have a hypothesis about where it came from since about 60% of company ownership is unaccounted for) and Bellator has Viacom money.

Companies realize there is money to be made in combat sports but it just takes a while to get everything from viewership, ppv, live gates, corporate sponsorship and commercial revenues to align.

If you're a fighter and not in the top 5, you'd better have plan B and C. No $$$$$

I work for the WSOF and Bellator. WSOF just got a huge influx of cash (I have a hypothesis about where it came from since about 60% of company ownership is unaccounted for) and Bellator has Viacom money.

Companies realize there is money to be made in combat sports but it just takes a while to get everything from viewership, ppv, live gates, corporate sponsorship and commercial revenues to align.

If you're a fighter and not in the top 5, you'd better have plan B and C. No $$$$$

I'd be interested in your Hypothesis.

I just can't see anyone investing in WSOF. They had what you wanted/needed as the ground work and they couldn't get any fans to care. Re branding and changing format I don't think is going to help much either.

Some bits from the story nobody seemed to notice.

-They got no NBC money from this show.

-The 5000 attendence figure was a round up, it was closer to 4500.

Back