Wrestling from your knees actually works?

I love it, bro is wrestling up in actual wrestling.

Wrestling up works great in bjj / sub grappling too.

that guy def has speed and strength on his side, im sure same would happen if he was standing, i think he may have been challenging himself or making a new style statement

This is why y'all need to study up on your Gene Mills and Arsen Fadzayevs more. Short offense/front headlock wins championships!

Last edited:

Not sure if I'm supposed to be impressed or offended by this video. This feels like the wrestling version of guard pulling.

Happens a lot in wrestling. Nick Simmons used to do it all the time, for one example.

Not sure if I'm supposed to be impressed or offended by this video. This feels like the wrestling version of guard pulling.

I'm gonna cry myself to sleep tonight.

I love it, bro is wrestling up in actual wrestling.

Wrestling up works great in bjj / sub grappling too.

My only decent wrestling takedowns are blast double and catching a single from an arm drag.
From the bottom, however, I'm pretty good, to the extent that someone once asked if wrestling was my base. Lol. Not even close.

That dude is next level fast holy shit

When you can wrestle that well and are that fucking fast, you can do whatever you want. Just like Usain Bolt could beat me in a 100 meter dash on a pogo stick. It doesn't mean everyone should start riding pogo sticks. Learn the fundamentals first.

that guy def has speed and strength on his side, im sure same would happen if he was standing, i think he may have been challenging himself or making a new style statement

Yep, 100%, as I stated above. He has excellent technique as well. He's at the point where he can do whatever he wants and improvise from different positions.

From a certain perspective, this is all sound fundamentals. The low guy usually wins these battles, so by starting as the low guy, he has that covered.

It kind of took me down a John Smith rabbit hole. Look how low he gets.

What is your issue? As mentioned biomechanically it's not like being on your knees is a big no no wrestling. There are times throughout the dynamic environment when a wrestlers knees will come in contact with the floor. Yes he springs up instantly from such a position. Crazy physical feats and absurd athleticism is what is required to control another man equally intent on controlling you. As an 11 year old I could perform the headspin breakdancing move on wooden floors, simply a byproduct of my freestyle wrestling training. Of course actual top level wrestlers will have outlier traits like strength and speed.

If you are saying keeping on your knees robs them of "manoeuvrability" or something then yeah but like many body positions in wrestling there are strengths and weaknesses. They can't cut angles or change levels as quickly as a wrestler standing in the traditional balanced position of wrestling stance but like mattemate mentioned there is an advantage in having your centre of gravity below the opponent.

Last edited:
What is your issue? As mentioned biomechanically it's not like being on your knees is a big no no wrestling. There are times throughout the dynamic environment when a wrestlers knees will come in contact with the floor. Yes he springs up instantly from such a position. Crazy physical feats and absurd athleticism is what is required to control another man equally intent on controlling you. As an 11 year old I could perform the headspin breakdancing move on wooden floors, simply a byproduct of my freestyle wrestling training. Of course actual top level wrestlers will have outlier traits like strength and speed.

If you are saying keeping on your knees robs them of "manoeuvrability" or something then yeah but like many body positions in wrestling there are strengths and weaknesses. They can't cut angles or change levels as quickly as a wrestler standing in the traditional balanced position of wrestling stance but like mattemate mentioned there is an advantage in having your centre of gravity below the opponent.
I have no "issue". But I make two observations:

First, many BJJ clubs (at least a decade ago), started rolls with both players starting on their knees. I have always found this practice to be absurd and unrealistic. And yet here we have someone starting on their knees being extremely effective. This thread is an acknowledgment of my misconception being shattered.

Two, one of the most valid criticisms of sport BJJ are the number of techniques and strategies that would have either no application in a real fight, or would be downright counterproductive. Wrestling by and large does not suffer from this problem. But I would consider this strategy to be a genuine counterexample.

Back