would you let your 9 year old use an mp3 player on the bus to school?

I've got an old walkman I'm willing to part with if it will help.

I work with hundreds of kids grades k-6. A 9 year old listening to music is doing zero harm you are right. Those parents are just sore their bratty kids are complaining. Internet access when you aren’t around? Maybe not the best idea. Just a music player? What could be bad about that.

Maybe if those parents are parents of the kids doing the bullying then they should worry about that more than a kid wanting to chill out to music and do their own thing.

My daughter has some issues as school because she doesn't want to grow up and act like a teenager like the other kids her age. She just wants to be a kid. Because of this she gets picked on by kids for not being cool enough. She gets teased on the bus a lot so I let her take an old phone (galaxy s2) that has no data, no play store, no games, nothing. All it can do is play music.

Well apparently this has caused an uproar with some of the neighborhood parents cause their kids are not allowed to bring a phone to school. Even though I've explained what my kid is using has no capability as a phone they are still upset at me because their kids are upset.

I pretty much got lectured today that I'm being irrsponsible for letting her bring electronics to school at 9 years old. It's funny too because she used to have a little tiny mp3 player she would bring and no one said shit about it but now it looks like a phone we get berated about it.

I could go get her a real mp3 player but why should I spend on that to appease nosey folks in the neighborhood.

I'm 41 and when I was in school we all brought out walkmans with us. It was never a problem. I believe music is a positive (we control what songs she can bring) in people's lives. Has this changed just because of kids being around electronics too much?

The wife and I are going to discuss this tonight but I'm hessitant about giving into pressure.

Am I wrong? What does sherdog think. I'm open to changing my philosophies. I'm not always right and I don't always consider outside perspectives but I just hate the idea of taking her music away because of nosey parents getting upset.
1. Good job on finding a loophole.
2. Fuck the other parents
3. 9 is not a teenager
4. Have her pop one of the kids when no one is looking.

buy her more electronics and piss off the parents more

Probably not. I wasn't even allowed to bring my secondhand Tiger handheld game to school as a kid.
Tiger-DoubleDragon.jpg

I say get your daughter and iPhone X and some Beats by Dre so all those dickhead kids can be jealous. Maybe get into boxing so after a while she can beat up those kids.

Kids are so mean.
This. I would throw in some new Jordans for good measure.

My daughter has some issues as school because she doesn't want to grow up and act like a teenager like the other kids her age. She just wants to be a kid. Because of this she gets picked on by kids for not being cool enough. She gets teased on the bus a lot so I let her take an old phone (galaxy s2) that has no data, no play store, no games, nothing. All it can do is play music.

Well apparently this has caused an uproar with some of the neighborhood parents cause their kids are not allowed to bring a phone to school. Even though I've explained what my kid is using has no capability as a phone they are still upset at me because their kids are upset.

I pretty much got lectured today that I'm being irrsponsible for letting her bring electronics to school at 9 years old. It's funny too because she used to have a little tiny mp3 player she would bring and no one said shit about it but now it looks like a phone we get berated about it.

I could go get her a real mp3 player but why should I spend on that to appease nosey folks in the neighborhood.

I'm 41 and when I was in school we all brought out walkmans with us. It was never a problem. I believe music is a positive (we control what songs she can bring) in people's lives. Has this changed just because of kids being around electronics too much?

The wife and I are going to discuss this tonight but I'm hessitant about giving into pressure.

Am I wrong? What does sherdog think. I'm open to changing my philosophies. I'm not always right and I don't always consider outside perspectives but I just hate the idea of taking her music away because of nosey parents getting upset.
You're in the right. You don't answer to these other parents, nor is their children's inability to understand what you've explained your deficiency.

Tell the other parents if it means that much to them they should pool some money together and buy your daughter a replacement mp3 player that will cause them and their kids less distress.

Because your daughter already has a music player. She doesn't need a new one.

Problem solved.

Fuck those parents.

It sounds to me like those parents should mind their own fucking business.

Exactly what he said. If my kid complained to me about another kid having a "phone" at school when I don't let my kid bring his/her phone, I'd say "Tough shit. Life isn't fair. Get used to it." Then we'd go do something fun together and forget about such a pointless thing to get upset about.

Back