Would you fight Conor McGregor in a pure Grappling match?

T-Bone

Banned 2X but still here
Banned
Reaction score
No striking... just good 'ol fashion grappling. No weight restrictions or time limits. Maybe he comes in at his walking-around-weight, or maybe he does not.

Go with it.

-T

EDIT:
I totally screwed this OP. My intent was to make it with penalty... not just grappling. Meaning you would have skin in the game: choose to grapple and risk serious injury due to a submission. Not at all was I thinking a sanction BJJ match with all protections in said match.

Oh well, crap happens. Things spiraled, and this thread now sucked.

Last edited:
No striking... just good 'ol fashion grappling. No weight restrictions or time limits. Maybe he comes in at his walking-around-weight, or maybe he does not.

Go with it.

-T
After witnessing how easily he gave the choke up to Nate...yes!

Silly question.

Why wouldn't you grapple someone? Regardless of weight or skill level what's the worst that could happen to either party? Getting subbed? Big deal.

I've seen him is a grappling tournament on you tube. Not terrible, nothing special. He definitely trains/trained BJJ. I would for sure go up against him.

Silly question.

Why wouldn't you grapple someone? Regardless of weight or skill level what's the worst that could happen to either party? Getting subbed? Big deal.

I assumed the question was deeper than that. It really is along the lines of... do you think your skills are comprable, or sufficient enough, to allow you to fight him with the probability of winning.

Hell, sure, I could jump into the ring with Mike Tyson and get beat royally, but I have no chance if winning, so I would not fight Tyson.

-T

I assumed the question was deeper than that. It really is along the lines of... do you think your skills are comprable, or sufficient enough, to allow you to fight him with the probability of winning.

Hell, sure, I could jump into the ring with Mike Tyson and get beat royally, but I have no chance if winning, so I would not fight Tyson.

-T

Doesn't make sense to me.

Fighting anyone, you'll either win or you'll lose. Losing is not a big deal. Life goes on. No reason not to.

Doesn't make sense to me.

Fighting anyone, you'll either win or you'll lose. Losing is not a big deal. Life goes on. No reason not to.

You think your chances of beating him is greater than 50%? Does not make sense to go into it knowing you have no chance.

-T

Yes I would, I'm probably going to get the takedown, and no time limit means, get to flat half, apply the presh, and work to side control to mount, submit

Sure why not.
Besides, pro fighters are allowed to compete in grappling events alongside amateurs, there's no barricade with ammy and pro like with striking sports

Silly question.

Unless its this guy

uvs3_02_palhares_vs_branch_010_medium_crop_north.jpg

Last edited:

:)

You're completely missing the point.

Of course... because I am a 2 stripe white belt and don't know what I don't know. :)

OR...

We just disagree on taking a fight you have no chance of winning. I would not fight him... NO chance of winning.

I do on see and understand your point. I just disagree with it.

-T

I would love to test myself against him. i'm slightly bigger, but i'm a purple belt.

is this gi or no gi? I think i'd kill him in the gi. no gi would be much closer.

:)

Of course... because I am a 2 stripe white belt and don't know what I don't know. :)

OR...

We just disagree on taking a fight you have no chance of winning. I would not fight him... NO chance of winning.

-T

I don't care what your rank in BJJ is. It's just grappling. A game. If you are afraid of playing a game because of losing then you are in the wrong hobby my friend.

-T

I am quite confident I'd beat Conor McGregor in a grappling match. He's not bad at all from what I've seen of his match footage (there's really no shame in getting outgrappled by Nate Diaz), and he's insanely athletic, but he's a lot smaller than me and since his training is MMA focused I doubt he'd have much answer for modern guards. Plus, what's the worst that could happen? I lose? It's a grappling match, I'm not going to get KOed. Palhares is pretty much the only person off the top of my head that I wouldn't agree to a match with. Well, for reasons of safety. I wouldn't particularly want to have a match with any TLI guys just because I find them odious, as good as some of them are (and were I to meet up against one in a tournament I'd just treat is as a normal match, but I would not shake Lloyd's hand).

-T

Competing might not be for you then.

Majority of grappling events are amateur, there's no big payout unless its a large event like Metamoris, Abu Dhabi, etc. Most of the people here in the training forums are amateur competitors who compete locally at smaller shows/events. It is purely for the experience or excitement of it. I'd take it, it'd be great to roll at a grappling event with a UFC pro. Even if I end up getting subbed quickly.

Win, lose, its a grappling competition, if subbed, you tap.

Now if grappling tournaments were like the UFC where your ranking actually matters, and losing may impact your career as a fighter, sure, you can cherry pick fights thats understandable.

Does Conor have a belt?

I've heard in podcasts that when he travels and goes to a gym, he grapples with the tops guys. He is not afraid of getting his ego crushed, according to the podcasts. Maybe there is someone here who has actually grappled with him.

I've only ever heard Eddie mention Conor dropping in and rolling with some of his guys, and that was just one time. It's still pretty cool, but I don't think it's a regular thing.

RE: Conor's rank - I could have sworn I saw him with a brown belt on at some point but now I can't find the video so maybe I just imagined it. I feel like he's probably a lot closer to purple than brown imo.

I would absolutely grapple him. I would lose, but I would totally try my hand at it. I'd especially like to do one round gi and another round no-gi just to see/feel the difference. Like I said, I'd lose both rounds, but it would fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back