Would you consider Albert Einsteins Travel Diary Observations Racist?

Oh my god. Who. The Hell. Cares.

I'm assuming, based on @alanb's post that something has recently come out re: HP.

I've read some of his stuff. I'm not a huge fan, but I like a lot of stuff created by those he's inspired.
I like it too, but there are undeniably racist depictions in it, just like in Sherlock. Doesn't mean that you should throw away the books or go on a crusade, but facts are facts. I don't see the big controversy in analyzing fiction/authors.

There's this knee-jerk reaction by anti-sjw types to immediately dismiss any type of analysis of writers or thinkers if the conclusion is that there are things that were written or said that were racist.

I'm assuming, based on @alanb's post that something has recently come out re: HP.

I've read some of his stuff. I'm not a huge fan, but I like a lot of stuff created by those he's inspired.
He's had a resurgence in popularity recently and his racism is apparent if you spend some time with him.

One doesn't need to be an Einstein to understand that he lived in a different era and to apply today's values on the past is quite troublesome.

I like it too, but there are undeniably racist depictions in it, just like in Sherlock. Doesn't mean that you should throw away the books or go on a crusade, but facts are facts. I don't see the big controversy in analyzing fiction/authors.

There's this knee-jerk reaction by anti-sjw types to immediately dismiss any type of analysis of writers or thinkers if the conclusion is that there are things that were written or said that were racist.

ahhh, ok, I thought this was something recent. yeah, he was a pretty xenophobic dude.

He's had a resurgence in popularity recently and his racism is apparent if you spend some time with him.
yes, I'm aware. I thought there was a recent, popular, scandal. Hearing people talk about Lovecraft, regardless of why, would be very enjoyable.

Not at all IMO.

Just seemed that he noticed differences between cultures and he wasn't impressed.

and questioning how the men are "incapable of defending themselves" from female "fatal attraction".

Anybody has the quote for this part? What exactly does he mean?

I noticed how little difference there is between men and women; I don't understand what kind of fatal attraction Chinese women possess which enthralls the corresponding men to such an extent that they are incapable of defending themselves against the formidable blessing of offspring.

Found the quote...I guess he wasn't impressed by Asian chicks.

Albert Einsteins Travel Diary was published and he gives his observations of the different cultures he visited, do you consider him a racist? His harshest criticism was for the Chinese people.

Einstein's travel diaries reveal physicist's racism

This is the first time the diaries have been published as a standalone volume in English.

Published by Princeton University Press, The Travel Diaries of Albert Einstein: The Far East, Palestine, and Spain, 1922-1923 was edited by Ze'ev Rosenkranz, assistant director of the California Institute of Technology's Einstein Papers Project.

Einstein travelled from Spain to the Middle East and via Sri Lanka, then called Ceylon, on to China and Japan.

The physicist describes arriving in Port Said in Egypt and facing "Levantines of every shade... as if spewed from hell" who come aboard their ship to sell their goods.

He also describes his time in Colombo in Ceylon, writing of the people: "They live in great filth and considerable stench down on the ground, do little, and need little."

But the famous physicist reserves his most cutting comments for Chinese people.

According to a piece in the Guardian about the diaries, he describes Chinese children as "spiritless and obtuse", and calls it "a pity if these Chinese supplant all other races".

In other entries he calls China "a peculiar herd-like nation," and "more like automatons than people", before claiming there is "little difference" between Chinese men and women, and questioning how the men are "incapable of defending themselves" from female "fatal attraction".

Noted for both his scientific brilliance and his humanitarianism, Albert Einstein emigrated to the US in 1933 after the rise of Adolf Hitler and the Nazi party.

The Jewish scientist described racism as "a disease of white people" in a 1946 speech at Lincoln University in Pennsylvania - the first university in the US to award degrees to black people.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-44472277
https://www.livescience.com/62813-einstein-racist.html
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018/06/13/einsteins-diaries-contain-shocking-details-his-racism.html

People back then were extremely racist. Jews like Einstein, and all the other color skin folks were not thought of highly by anyone else either.

yes, I'm aware. I thought there was a recent, popular, scandal. Hearing people talk about Lovecraft, regardless of why, would be very enjoyable.
Ah no not that I'm aware of. I enjoy his work but in small doses for that reason. He always brings One Thousand and One Nights to mind. Vivid yet virulent.

Ultra conformity is basically the whole point of Confucianism. He wasn't wrong on that one.

Pointing out people smell like shit, when they smell like shit, isn’t racist.

It's ok to be racist against Chinese people because they have an economy.

Germans who grew up in the in the late 19th / early 20th centuries have never exhibited any racist traits whatsoever. He must be the first one.

Oh my, what's the play here?

Quite tempted, I am, to lift Trotsky's temp ban. He'd have the balls to say what he's been trained to think, and call Einstein "fucking stupid".

No compromises.

Our resident terrorist taking a shot at a famous jew? I'm shocked!
full

Back