would we still have colonies if WW2 didn't happen

stellarborg

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Think about it, what if Hitler stopped at Poland and Austria, and made peace. Then Britain, France, Spain, could focus on preserving their colonial empires, which were really magnificent, if you look at the map they dwarf anything the Romans or Mongols have accomplished spacewise. We really wasted tremendous resources killing each other on European continent for no reason. How awesome would it be to live in an Empire today, especially with today's technology.

No, I think eventually those colonies would've gained independence even if it would've taken a little longer. The Indian independence movement was already well under way before WWII for instance and that colony was the linchpin of the British Empire.

Think about it, what if Hitler stopped at Poland and Austria, and made peace. Then Britain, France, Spain, could focus on preserving their colonial empires, which were really magnificent, if you look at the map they dwarf anything the Romans or Mongols have accomplished spacewise. We really wasted tremendous resources killing each other on European continent for no reason. How awesome would it be to live in an Empire today, especially with today's technology.

In what context do you mean "we"

Europe was bound to implode to the point where they could no longer maintain their empires. The WW's just accelerated it.

. How awesome would it be to live in an Empire today, especially with today's technology.

I mean it's alright for now. Thinking it might get a bit ugly here soon.

I would prefer to live in a constitutional republic though.

No, I think eventually those colonies would've gained independence even if it would've taken a little longer. The Indian independence movement was already well under way before WWII for instance and that colony was the linchpin of the British Empire.

I am not so sure about that, if you know anything about Churchill, he was a true patriot of the Empire and he wanted to preserve it at all costs, so if there was no WW2 you can bet he would marshal British resources to put down uprising in India and other places

TS thinks it would be cool to live under genocidal empires. Gotcha.

I am not so sure about that, if you know anything about Churchill, he was a true patriot of the Empire and he wanted to preserve it at all costs, so if there was no WW2 you can bet he would marshal British resources to put down uprising in India and other places
Yes I know Churchill was quite wedded to the Empire, which is why he resented Gandhi for dismantling it. But whatever Churchill felt about it didn't matter, the Indians were agitating for it and gaining momentum over decades and Gandhi's efforts were the culmination of that. It wasn't just an uprising, that could be put down. The Independence movement under Gandhi became a mass movement and a mass movement among one of the largest populations on earth, 3-400 million at the time, is not something you can put down simply with force.

Like I said, maybe it takes a little longer but eventually independence was coming.

WW2 actually delayed the independence of the Philippines until 1947, didn't it? I thought it was previously scheduled to happen in 1945.

Europe was bound to implode to the point where they could no longer maintain their empires. The WW's just accelerated it.
This.

The colonies existed to fuel increasing instability between borders in Europe. The whole structure spelled doom for long term seizure, but they kept a lot for a long time. Over all was a disgraceful success

fuck me, stormfront busy?

Stormfront, as in the site that is infatuated with nazis? In case you haven't noticed this thread is about European colonial empires, not third reich, that was not a colonial power by any means, and was actually at war with major European colonial powers. So what in the world are you blabbering about, dumb dumb

TS thinks it would be cool to live under genocidal empires. Gotcha.

lol at this

if you go by modern morality then pretty much every country and every nation until a couple of decades ago would be classified as 'genocidal' from Alexander the Great to President Truman

and there is nothing wrong with that

We are tribal creatures and we look out for our own

Stormfront, as in the site that is infatuated with nazis? In case you haven't noticed this thread is about European colonial empires, not third reich, that was not a colonial power by any means, and was actually at war with major European colonial powers. So what in the world are you blabbering about, dumb dumb

The Nazis were the culmination of imperial thinking and mindset. They were going to be a world colonial empire but we look at them as evil because they also targeted the major world powers.

The nazis dreamed about being the new colonial empire. I don't know if you know this but the British waged fucked up policies in India and got millions of them killed. The fact is those empires were willing to commit and did commit genocides and massacres.

I have no idea why you think this is "awesome"

lol at this

if you go by modern morality then pretty much every country and every nation until a couple of decades ago would be classified as 'genocidal' from Alexander the Great to President Truman

and there is nothing wrong with that

We are tribal creatures and we look out for our own

You're copping out now

Without WW2 there would not have been a Cold War.

Without the Soviets and Chinese aggressively giving material support to revolutionary movements, the Empires would have held

Without WW2 there would not have been a Cold War.

Without the Soviets and Chinese aggressively giving material support to revolutionary movements, the Empires would have held

How can there be no world war in a world of competing empires? Why wouldn't rival empires arm and give material support to the subjects of eachother's empires? The whole cassus bellie of the Japanese was to "liberate asia".

You still have not answered why any of this would be awesome.

How can there be no world war in a world of competing empires? Why wouldn't rival empires arm and give material support to the subjects of eachother's empires? The whole cassus bellie of the Japanese was to "liberate asia".

You still have not answered why any of this would be awesome.

Because Empires are awesome

If most of this Earth was governed by an Empire as opposed to squabbling states, think how much we would be able to accomplish in space exploration alone

We never should have went to war with Japanese Empire either, just let them have Asia

What kind of neckbeard fantasy is this?

Because Empires are awesome

If most of this Earth was governed by an Empire as opposed to squabbling states, think how much we would be able to accomplish in space exploration alone

We never should have went to war with Japanese Empire either, just let them have Asia

This is false. Technology advances faster when there are many competing states. Empires stagnate. They become decadent. They become repressive and authoritarian and crackdown on creativity. Liberal democracies shit on Empires when it comes to producing technology. The small but highly motivated and competitive countries of Europe ran rings around the big empires that had nothing left to conquer and had tremendous wealth like the Indians and Chinese.

Back