Worst stand-up comedian?

I have only seen one Aries Spears show and it cracked me up, don't know if he is consistent, but man... the voices he did and the brit accent he used had me in tears.

Well criticism isn't always negative. His joke was about a critique of religion that was going on at the time - GET IT OUT OF THE PUBLIC SPHERE etc, he was looking at that debate and adding some comedic insight, in this case, on the side of good religious values that people ought to adhere too even though they aren't.

Fair enough, sir. Just needed some context for that joke, as on the face of it it just looked like a "lawyers are immoral" bit that used the commandments as the punchline.
Elysianwing, you are correct, that is the punchline and it is a very old punchline.

Hicks has said that Kinison was a huge influence on him. I respect the hell out of Kinison, but I find he is just a little too loud for my taste.

I was just naming other acts that were doing roughly the same bits as him because so many cling to the commentary that he was 'so ahead of his time'. That's bullshit imo

He was also a whiner behind the scenes too. His incident with Letterman, the stuff with Leary -tho some other comics back Hicks on the stealing claims, problem is there are those that don't as well

Almost all comedians are hit and miss, but I would say Dane Cook misses more than most. I remember a friend playing me his bit about the Whopper and I just sat there waiting for it to be funny and it never was.

I'm not sure if he's even still active doing stand-up, but Bill Engval is by far the least funny of all 'country' comedians. He has never made me laugh, WTF is that 'here's your sign' bit about that makes people think it's funny? I'm personally annoyed by his success because he's so talentless.

Paul Mooney(or is it Moody ?) is shit as is Bobby Slayton.

Alonzo Bodden's Special on Showtime was decent.

Its gotta be difficult to come up with original jokes that have never been done before. So I guess the best comedians would be those who keep up with current events and quickly make jokes about it. That's gotta be the only source of new material.

I never thought Dane Cook was that bad, I think some people just pretend to think he's not funny.

Gabriel Iglesias is pretty unfunny to me, he just talks about being fat and talks in silly voices.

I would say Jeff Dunham takes the cake. He is corny to the max.

Joe Rogan

i agree. it's crazy, because if you look back at some of his earlier stand-up, it was hilarious. he turned too much into a bill hicks wannabe and pseudo-intellectual.

Katt Williams seemed to get big when I was in college (2005-2009) and I agree, TS. I never liked him. He just wasn't very good. He desperately wanted to be Dave Chappelle only he didn't have a fraction of the talent that Dave had.

Almost all comedians are hit and miss, but I would say Dane Cook misses more than most. I remember a friend playing me his bit about the Whopper and I just sat there waiting for it to be funny and it never was.

I think Dane Cook used to be funny. His Harmful if Swallowed was great, as were his Just for Laughs bits.

Retaliation wasn't as good as harmful if swallowed, and everything after that was SUPER disappointing!

I always liked this bit about calling the wrong number when a white person picks up.

jeselnik was funny on the roast of Charlie Sheen, and that was it.

So who did Richard Pryor rip off?

Paul Mooney. But, it's not really ripping off. They were close friends and Mooney wrote some of his stuff.

Wanda Sykes was also good from what I remember

Not from what I remember. IIRC, she was the type who thought being loud = funny, and she did plenty of material about 'white people'. "White people, you all like to act like (then starts raising her voice and finishes it off by yelling out some tired, unfunny punchline)." Maybe I'm wrong, though.

Paul Mooney. But, it's not really ripping off. They were close friends and Mooney wrote some of his stuff.

Not from what I remember. IIRC, she was the type who thought being loud = funny, and she did plenty of material about 'white people'. "White people, you all like to act like (then starts raising her voice and finishes it off by yelling out some tired, unfunny punchline)." Maybe I'm wrong, though.

That's because you're a racist

Nobody made me laugh the way George Carlin did. Bill Burr came close, but the current line up of comedians just makes me miss GC more.

george+carlin_67f258_4892151.jpg

Back