World masters bjj 2017

Habs fan

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
How does the brackets work? I was looking at one division and it had two brackets of 12. Is there two gold medals for that division or do they take the top two from both brackets and those 4 go for gold.

They run it like two 8 ma brackets he extras fight each other to get un and the winner of each side faces in the finals and the runners up on each side get third

Has there always been 4,500 competitors? A few friends and teammates are competing (all OG 2,3, or 4) black belt and they all had (or would have) to win at 4-5 matches to Gold.

I don't remember these brackets being so deep. And I remember hearing when a tournament had 2k competitors, that is yuge!

Or is memory just off? Anyone know previous limits?

It gets bigger every year. In the past, the divisions were very shallow to where many divisions only had one competitor or guys would only get one or two matches. A few years ago well known BBs started competing at Masters which started legitimizing it a bit. Now it is truly a World Championship for us old guys with competitors gearing up the whole year for it. The growth has been amazing.

My Master Megaton won double gold in his division beating Mario Sperry to win open class.

It's definitely getting more prestige and growing in number of competitors.

But, after watching many of the matches this year, my opinion is that almost all masters division that aren't black belt, the level of technique is pretty bad. Brown belt is still decent but the kinds of mistakes made by these guys is stuff you seldom see in adult divisions, even blue belt. I'm not talking about things related to power, speed, explosion, stamina. Saw some things done that were really low level in terms of technical ability/knowledge

Can you provide some examples of the things you are talking about, please? I am pretty curious.

Back