Women's right through soap operas

m25105

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've been speaking to a few, including @Kafir-kun and I am always amazed at how popular Turkish soap operas are in Muslim countries, and balkan countries, like Serbia. So I looked it up, and was fascinated on how these soap operas were making Arab women question their husbands. "Why don't you love me like that?", and getting divorces. The soap operas also deal with issues you won't typically find on Arab television such a woman who was raped, illegitimate children, women working in a career job.

I for one am glad to read this, and I hope this trend continues.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-22282563
http://archive.is/cSvP2

Pop culture is a great ideological weapon. Voice of America should be beaming this shit into every Middle Eastern country 24/7.

Pop culture is a great ideological weapon. Voice of America should be beaming this shit into every Middle Eastern country 24/7.

Latin American, and American sitcoms/soap operas doesn't connect in the middle east. Cultural barrier. Turkish soaps are hugely popular in Iran, Arab countries and Balkan due to similar cultur.

Latin American, and American sitcoms/soap operas doesn't connect in the middle east. Cultural barrier. Turkish soaps are hugely popular in Iran, Arab countries and Balkan due to similar cultur.

I get that. I mean they should make sure every single Middle Eastern woman has 24/7 access to Turkish soap operas.

I find these issues so strange. By all means, talk about it if it's a problem for you, but I think a lot of it is just fantasy and doesn't really have any value.

The reality is that a perpetually 28 year old fit guy who makes a ton of money is not realistic, and they're written by perpetually single 30 something women. The best thing I've heard was a Jewish dude saying "you fall in love and get married, we get married and fall in love". Maybe just fashion.

I don't think it's the similar culture in the case of Balkans. Latin American soap operas were crazy popular here. I almost started speaking Spanish as a kid cause they were always airing on tv :)

But they got boring at some point, so tv networks switched to Turkish and Indian soap operas.

That would trigger a meltdown of epic proportions....good call

I for one welcome our neo-Ottoman overlords

But seriously, that certainly is an interesting phenomenon. Turkey's more secular culture might be a positive influence on the region. Also reminds me of the reach of Korean and Japanese(my favorite!) pop culture. America is still the pop culture king but the gap is closing and it seems like, just with political power, we'll see wealthy and powerful countries with potential for regional dominance carve out their own pop culture spheres.

And on a side note I kind of want to watch that Magnificent Century show sometime but seems too long and as much as I like Suleiman I don't really care for Roxelana. I prefer Kosem, longest reigning valide sultan and the baddest of the sultanas IMO, and I think they have a season dedicated just to her so I might watch that instead.

Social engineering through Turkish soap operas.

I never would have come up with such a concept in a million years.

The problem is the moral authority of the US has eroded in the world and in the Middle East and Muslim world its been especially bad. So I'm not sure how much that would help.

The problem is the moral authority of the US has eroded in the world and in the Middle East and Muslim world its been especially bad. So I'm not sure how much that would help.
I'm not talking about the moral authority of the US. I'm talking about something far more potent: the moral authority of Turkish soap operas.

I'm not talking about the moral authority of the US. I'm talking about something far more potent: the moral authority of Turkish soap operas.
Oh I misread your earlier comment, I see that now.

But seriously, does anyone in the Middle East listen to the Voice of America? I'd be surprised if it had any serious impact anymore, especially in that region.

I've been speaking to a few, including @Kafir-kun and I am always amazed at how popular Turkish soap operas are in Muslim countries, and balkan countries, like Serbia. So I looked it up, and was fascinated on how these soap operas were making Arab women question their husbands. "Why don't you love me like that?", and getting divorces. The soap operas also deal with issues you won't typically find on Arab television such a woman who was raped, illegitimate children, women working in a career job.

I for one am glad to read this, and I hope this trend continues.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-22282563
http://archive.is/cSvP2

Serbs are like the anti-moslems, the nega-moslem, the un-moslem, the de-moslemizer, the de-moslemators

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_cleansing_in_the_Bosnian_War

Another reason why California has done more to promote the greatness of this country and it's ideals than any other state. If only politicians knew Michael Jackson could stop communism more effectively than a fleet of bombers.

Oh I misread your earlier comment, I see that now.

But seriously, does anyone in the Middle East listen to the Voice of America? I'd be surprised if it had any serious impact anymore, especially in that region.

They might listen if they broadcast better programs than speeches or whatever. Your Turkish soap operas. I'd recommend a lot of dance music. Dancing has universal appeal.

Another reason why California has done more to promote the greatness of this country and it's ideals than any other state. If only politicians knew Michael Jackson could stop communism more effectively than a fleet of bombers.
True. California is historically the most important state after Ohio, but has better weather.

Unsurprisingly Saudi clerics have issued Fatwa's permitting people to kill anyone that shows the soap operas. These clerics need to take a chill pill.

Back