Womens' BJJ gis--

georgetteo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've searched this forum, didn't find anything, and hoping I catch some lurking ladies with my request-- anyone out there have comments on womens' gis? or the fit of a man's gi for a petite lady?

I've been training in BJJ (and some of the other martial arts) for a little while, about 5 days a week. You could say I'm addicted. I roll about half and half, gi vs. no-gi. One of the schools I'm studying at has a preferred gi which they've ordered for me (I think it's an Atama) but the other school requires you to wear *their* patches so I figured I need at least one more BJJ gi... for politeness, and to avoid washing the darn thing every single night of the week.

I'm 5'2", 120 lbs, short little legs.

I've ordered a Keiko Raca girls' gi (size M4), a Gameness Pearl A1, and an Atama summer-weight in A1 as well. Ordered them from BudoVideos and GroundandPound.com.

If no one has any reviews or comments, I guess I'll be posting some when they get in!

I received the Gameness Pearl and the Atama summer-weight gis last night; when I get the Keiko Raca one, I'll photograph them all and post a review.

I will say, preliminarily, that the Atama is very light and comfortable, but since it's made from canvas or twill like a karategi, it seems a little strange to grapple in it. It's definitely very sturdy feeling, but the Gameness gi is the more usual knobbly woven material so appearance-wise, it's more standard. I've never been one to shy away from nonconformity (and if that Kyra Gracie Atama gi were a better shade of pink I'd be all about it) but I don't want people continually telling me I'm wearing the wrong kind of gi just based on the material.

Anyway, photos etc to come.

cool. I love my Gameness Gi's/ I have 2

same here, love my gameness, ive had the single for about 2 years now and its still holding up good. thanks for the info as well, im looking to get my 12yr old in jiujitsu and she is about the same size.

OK-- I have received all 3 gis and am ready to dish on them. I have not uploaded the pics yet but I will in the next day or two, sorry.

For reference, I'm 5'2", range between 118-127lbs, 34-26-36. I have been doing jiu jitsu, judo, and kajukenbo for about 1 month, and I train 6 days a week. Most of my classes are in a non-air conditioned gym and this is central Texas, so it's usually in the upper 90s and humid in the afternoons when I'm training.

Atama summerweight bleached, size A1: Size-wise, it fits fine. I would probably shrink it a bit if I were going to keep it, the sleeves are about 1-2" too long, and the body girth is pretty enormous on me... also the pants length is fine (hits at or just below my ankle bone) but the waist is enormous, and tying the waistcord tight enough makes the fabric poof out around my hips. I do not care for the fabric-- it's canvas, like a normal nonBJJ gi, though it does seem a little tougher and sturdier. The belt I ordered with it is pretty thick and hard to tie, though I imagine it would last a long time (which is great, I'll be a white belt forever.) I did not roll in it and only wore it around the house, like a geek, for a few hours. I am returning it. I will say groundandpound.com got it to me quickly (4 days UPS ground).

Gameness Pearl, size A1: Ooh, I liked this one. Very smooth and soft kimono, lighter than the Kikskin Komp I was borrowing, with a good feel. Sizing very similar to the Atama-- the sleeves were about 1-2" too long and the body was very gappy, and the pants obviously could have handled twice the junk in the trunk as I've got (and I have plenty thanks.) The drawstring in the pants is a sewn-together strip of the same canvas the pants are made of. Pants length was fine-- hit about 1" below my ankle bone. I washed it once in cold water, hung it to dry halfway, then put it in the dryer on cool/delicate for about 20 min, and it came out with sleeves the perfect length, though the body is still a little wide. The pants shrunk about 1/2" in length. I did a 2 hr judo class (no AC) and was roasting hot, and the pants were a little heavy when they got soaked in sweat. Not the most comfortable feeling, but who says rolling in a gi is comfortable to begin with.

Keiko Raca, size M4: My favorite, hands down, and too bad this is a childs'/girls' gi as I'm not sure their adult sizes will be made of the same fabric. The girls' gi is white, with a light pink twill trim around the sleeve and bottom of the kimono; the "Keiko Sports" insignia down the side of the lapel is also light pink. A guy couldn't get away with this unless he was supremely confident of his skills, manhood and reputation. The fabric is wonderful-- it has the same feel as the Pearl, but is appreciably lighter in overall weight, and much more flexible. The collar is just as stiff, but that is my only complaint. Size-wise perfect out of the box, and it's pre-shrunk. The pants are also much more comfortable-- smoother, softer, not as hot, and the drawstring is made of cord or rope. Still looks like a diaper with a load from the back-- why do they made the waist soooooo huge in gi pants??-- but very comfortable. The knees are double layered as in other gi pants and everything seems just as sturdy as an adults' gi. When I got home from judo, I switched to this gi and rolled for 3 hrs in my BJJ with-gi class, and I LOVED it. I washed it last night in cold, hung to dry, and I will roll in it again next week.

When my Kikskin rashie comes in, and my Alpha Female shorts, I'll post more reviews of womens' stuff.

Thanks all...

Thank you for this review, I'm always looking at the posts about women's gear.

I'm looking forward to your review of the Alpha Female shorts. I'm about the same size as you (a little shorter), so that will be very helpful. Please let me know what size shorts you ordered when you do that review. I ended up ordering some Sprawl shorts for now because the reviews have been so positive, but with my short legs, they might very well be capri pants on me.

Edited to correct typos.

Back