Winning FG-2900 Review

Zishan

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
What's up guys,

Here's the infamous FG-2900 headgear review. All I can say is wow and very slightly disappointing.
Shoutouts to (MixedMajik)Dami and Strato for helping me choosing a headgear. I PM'ed the hell out of strato for his advice since collection is just awesome and his experience and knowledge is great. I strongly suggest getting Strato's advice he's an awesome guy. Also, thanks for helping me out Dami I emailed you a few times and you really cleared up my mind as well. These two guys are just awesome the best sherdoggers!

Quality :
The headgear is made out all synthetic leather construction, and it's a simple good old black colour! There aren't any stitching errors and the padding is slightly firm but definitely not stiff, broken in feeling practically. I was a bit disappointed in the synthetic construction. I"ll probably be getting a bunch of messages in thread talking about this lol. I strongly think Hayabusa's Vylar is equal if not better in terms of their synthetic leather even though I have not owned a pair but I have used and examined the gloves many of times because I was going to buy them before I got the 10z Winnings. from first touch and feel I have to give Hayabusa the edge! Durability wise I have no idea, both leathers seem to perform and deliver. Protection wise I've yet to use them but when I do I will come back do an update!

Fit & comfort:
When I first got the FG-2900, they came in the this beautiful packaged box inside there it was. The king of headgear's the FG-2900 lol. Lets get into the fit of headgear.

The chin strap is great, you won't attack your adams apple with it and it's not tight or lose The clip is definitely better than the traditional buckle one. My BB facesaver chinstrap is not as good as this for sure. This headgear is Very, very comfortable headgear. IT'S TO LIGHT GUYS this head hear scares the crap out of me, when I first got the shipment I thought Mitani-san sent me a empty box lol. That's how light it was wow. The lightest headgear I have worn for sure. Also the headgear was snug it didn't feel uneasy and like Strato mentioned about having deadspace inside your headgear this is the first headgear that felt snug with no spaces left! I am totally amazed with the fit!

Protection:
I Can't say at the moment, I have doubt in my mind that they will do the job well. After all the 10z Gloves that I have are the greatest gloves I have owned. All I can say is wow, this headgear truly performed I got a whole bunch of rounds in and I have to say it performed far too well and its worth the money hands down.
I was a bit skeptical about whether I should have paid so much for this... and boy it delivered, it absorbed all the shots so well and the nose protection is a bit less than my previous GFG headgear but significant enough for the impact virtually non-existent for me.
Furthermore, I didn't have any headaches after using this headgear which is a major + in a lot of peoples books, I felt great wearing this type of headgear and I feel extremely confident that if I ever did get rocked by powershots it won't be as bad, it truly helps bring the best out of your sparring while delivering you the protection you need!

Value & Service:
Mitani-san in my opinion offers amazing prices for winning gear I am very impressed with the store. Here's the big thing apparently people are shocked about.... The shipment... I ordered on Sunday and these came in today lol. I was extremely friendly to Mitani-san and talked to him a strictly formal manner I discussed couple of things and I asked him if its possible to be delivered before the 23rd and he said it will get there before I even know it. HE WAS RIGHT LOL. Not even Canadian's can ship this fast to me.... No one has shipped something so fast to me, I'm so impressed and shocked by the shipment and delivery of the headgear.

Overall.... I give this headgear a 9.5/10 It loses half a point for its synthetic construction in my eyes LEATHER>Synthetic. Nonetheless, pretty high quality leather!

2r2xgtz.jpg

6qd7j8.jpg

axb0px.jpg

2llbwnt.jpg

Last edited:
MY CAT ENJOYED THE WINNING BOX A LOT!
2rnimva.jpg

1zvxqmx.jpg

Here's a picture of the cheek protectors.
2ypllkk.jpg

A close-up of the leather and the badge.
28k6h5u.jpg

2ahy810.jpg

i want to see a test with hayabusa vylar vs winning jpn synthetic leather and see which one is better

Congrats on getting your fg2900! Now I understand why yours arrived so fast. Your headgear is a regular stock item so Mitani just had to box it up and ship. I needed a LL and it took over a month before Mitani got it and shipped.

I debated between synthetic vs. natural leather for my fg2900 and decided to go with synthetic for ease of maintenance and it doesn't absorb sweat. I didn't link how the Vylar on the Hayabusa GSP gloves felt, so I'll let you know what I think of the Winning material. I also have synthetic leather used on my reupholstered car seats and that material feels fantastic.

Durabiity? If the material Winning uses was crap I am sure we would have heard about it from the thousands of customers that ordered a headgear in the past decade.

Shipping speed? That is pretty amazing how fast they arrived in Canada. I ordered gloves from Thailand and their EMS service is just as fast! You would never be able to ship something in Canada for the same cost and be delivered that fast.

Last edited:
i want to see a test with hayabusa vylar vs winning jpn synthetic leather and see which one is better

Both are great, but I gotta say I definitely like the look and smell of Vylar better!

Congrats on getting your fg2900! Now I understand why yours arrived so fast. Your headgear is a regular stock item so Mitani just had to box it up and ship. I needed a LL and it took over a month before Mitani got it and shipped.

I debated between synthetic vs. natural leather for my fg2900 and decided to go with synthetic for ease of maintenance and it doesn't absorb sweat. I didn't link how the Vylar on the Hayabusa GSP gloves felt, so I'll let you know what I think of the Winning material. I also have synthetic leather used on my reupholstered car seats and that material feels fantastic.

Durabiity? If the material Winning uses was crap I am sure we would have heard about it from the thousands of customers that ordered a headgear in the past decade.

Shipping speed? That is pretty amazing how fast they arrived in Canada. I ordered gloves from Thailand and their EMS service is just as fast! You would never be able to ship something in Canada for the same cost and be delivered that fast.

That makes loads of sense than. Mitani is probably getting it made for you I'm assuming. I'm a very generic typical size lol. Let me know what you think of vylar vs winnings synthetic leather, there's nothing wrong with it honestly but something tells me I like vylar better I'm probably gonna go grab and feel some new hayabuas and see which ones I like at sportschek :). I have no doubt in my mind winnings durability is there lol but I think hayabuas vylar can definitely give it a good test!

That's awesome which gloves did you order? EMS service seems to be fast I generally order a lot of things online anything from Asia has been painfully slow for me. I hope you like your headgear as well! I had a question for you so for headgear maintenance are you going do a simple cloth wipe or use damp alcohol cloth and wipe etc. what are the best methods out there for this type of leather.

I only ordered a headgear, I wish I had enough skills (and $$$) to justify ordering a pair of Winning gloves. :D

For synthetic leather I just wipe down with a damp cloth and try not to use any detergents. I wonder how often it would need to be wiped down with alcohol? I'll admit I sweat lots on my gloves and only wiped it off, have not disinfected the surface yet and wonder if itt's needed?

First of all: AWESOME cat! Congratulations!

The headgear is nice of course. I am sure you won't regret.
And an excellent review!

Yeah man cant wait until you try it out, It is easily the best Mexican style headgear that Ive used period.

I love the Cat, is that a Russian Blue Long hair?

I only ordered a headgear, I wish I had enough skills (and $$$) to justify ordering a pair of Winning gloves. :D

For synthetic leather I just wipe down with a damp cloth and try not to use any detergents. I wonder how often it would need to be wiped down with alcohol? I'll admit I sweat lots on my gloves and only wiped it off, have not disinfected the surface yet and wonder if itt's needed?

Definitely order the gloves when your able too, one of the best gloves for sure.

I dont think it will do anymore harm if you do wipe it down alcohol, I will probably clean the headgear once every two weeks or or so.

First of all: AWESOME cat! Congratulations!

The headgear is nice of course. I am sure you won't regret.
And an excellent review!

Thank you, next week is the ultimate test cant wait!

Yeah man cant wait until you try it out, It is easily the best Mexican style headgear that Ive used period.

I love the Cat, is that a Russian Blue Long hair?

Yes it is man you know your cats aha! I have two different types of cats and this one one of the babies we decided to keep them. They honestly have the best personality very friendly and I read a something about them online about their personality and its common for them to extremely playful, friendly, accepting of new cats and extremely loyal as well!

Yeah I got a grey tabby and a Russian blue shorthair mix.

i see you got the medium. you should add your head measurement and then update with a pic of how it fits when you have a chance. even though people have different head shapes i think it still helps to include this info in all headgear reviews. i will do the same when i get my headgear.

You sir have exceptional taste in both headgears and cats.

Clap.gif

A good taste in headgears is more important though since with cats you can never go wrong :)

Gratz on making the right decision! I've tried many a headgear and 95% of them are garbage. This is the model I have settled on and have only used it since.

Back