Will people stop saying Kelvin is too small if he beats Jacare?

He isn't too small for Middleweight. Idiots just love harping too much on size because their small brains think every single inch or pound means something when it doesn't.

He is small. He still has a speed edge over the much bigger slow footed MW tho. I believe he can spark Jacare out but he’s TDD is shoddy

He isn't too small for Middleweight. Idiots just love harping too much on size because their small brains think every single inch or pound means something when it doesn't.

For some reason these things seems to matter sometimes to those of us who actually bet on fghts.

No one plays that kelvin is too small. It's just that for kelvin, being the Welterweight champion is an easily obtainable goal. I personally favour him against tyron woodley. When gastelum has to fight the bigger 185ers it's bad for him. He's young and athletic, so he CAN win, but he's only making it harder on himself.

For what it's worth, I believe Kelvin will KO Souza.

Last edited:
What people are neglecting to mention ITT and most threads about Kelvin is that his MW run is comprised of beating fighters who are much older than him and on the downslide of their careers.

Kennedy
Bisping
Belfort
Was supposed to fight Anderson
Now Jacare

All late 30's at the time of fight, past their athletic primes.

He fights Weidman a guy similar in age and gets subbed, thats where size played a factor.

People only said that because The Chris stomped him.

This! People were riding Kelvin's nuts as the next champ until that fight. He did rock Chris at one point but the wrestling and size disadvantages obviously did him in.

Teh Chris rag-dolled him in the wrestling.

If he beats Jacare

Yeah right

tr2qGqN.jpg

What people are neglecting to mention ITT and most threads about Kelvin is that his MW run is comprised of beating fighters who are much older than him and on the downslide of their careers.

Kennedy
Bisping
Belfort
Was supposed to fight Anderson
Now Jacare

All late 30's at the time of fight, past their athletic primes.

He fights Weidman a guy similar in age and gets subbed, thats where size played a factor.

No, it means he fought a fighter who was simply good enough skill wise to beat him. The size wasn't an issue.

No,
he will still be too small for the division. If he beats Jacare, Whittaker, and defends the title 10 times he will STILL be too small for MW.

People dont just say that because he lost to Weidman it's just the truth that he's very undersized for MW and the size disadvantage is the worst when it comes to the grappling side.

Kelvin Gastelum is just THAT good he can get by on being the much smaller fighter in a lot of situations.

This was the 185 lbs champion 1 month ago before this happened:

MinorImpoliteHuemul-size_restricted.gif

So he appears to be just fine for the MW division.

Now whats his optimal ? yea maybe WW but then again if he can't make it comfortable then maybe he should move up, only he knows whats what for us is easy to say just drop a few.

PS: On fight night I don't think he gives up more then 8-9 lbs vs the biggest guys out there.

He is too small the for division but not too small to compete competitively.

Not particularly a Kelvin fan (rooting for Jacare) but it's common to hear he is undersized for MW. If he beats Jacare will people finally accept him as a legit contender at MW like they have for RDA after beating Lawler?
Nah, they'll say Jacare is done and his second win over Brunson is meaningless because Brunson is a can.

It's a well known fact that beating jacare add's 2 inches to your height and 10pounds of muscle.

No. He's still a pretty small middleweight. Small doesn't mean ineffective, though.

He has missed weight more than once so fighting at MW is probably the right thing to do even though he is undersized.
His small reach at MW might become a problem when faces long fighters who are good at keeping distance. I checked wiki quickly and couldn't find any MW fighters with a smaller reach.

People only said that because The Chris stomped him.
Are you kidding me? People have always said this since he first fought at MW, that's what was impressive. He does very good against larger opponents.
For fucks sake look at him, he is a pudgy WW in there against some big men.

Him beating Jacare won't change the fact that he is small for the division.

This. He can still beat most of the top 10 middleweights as he's very talented, and tough, but that absolutely does not mean he isn't too small for the division. He clearly is. He has the frame of a 155er.

Last edited:
No, it means he fought a fighter who was simply good enough skill wise to beat him. The size wasn't an issue.
If you are implying that all the people I listed aren't skilled I don't know what to tell you.

I'm saying age is playing a bigger factor than size. Ok size wasn't an issue against Weidman, he is still the closest to Gastelum's age out of all his MW opponents.

He's proven he can hang at MW, like RDA has at WW. Hell, Kelvin had Chris hurt on his feet, until Weedman went into smart grappling mode. I'm a Jacare fan, so I HOPE he does the same.

Weidman is a big ass mw though, isn't he technically the largest guy Kelvin has fought height and reach wise?
I think kelvin is just as good a wrestler but the size and strength in wrestling exchanges seemed apparent in my view at least.

Back