Will Muay Thai liniment or Tiger Balm help heal shins?

zokce

Text Belt
@purple
Reaction score
So I know while practicing, my Thai training partners will slather on the Thai liniment on my legs after hurting my shins on the cement like bags they use at my gym (rural gym in rural Thailand). It seems to take the pain for a bit.

But since I'm still new, and my shins aren't conditioned (and probably bad technique still) my shins will bruise and be painful for a day or two after.

I just want them to heal faster. I don't care about temporarily relieving pain for the hours after practice.

Will Thai liniment (that yellow bottle kind) and/or tiger balm help after practice to heal faster? If so, which is better.

Also, knees as well

So I know while practicing, my Thai training partners will slather on the Thai liniment on my legs after hurting my shins on the cement like bags they use at my gym (rural gym in rural Thailand). It seems to take the pain for a bit.

But since I'm still new, and my shins aren't conditioned (and probably bad technique still) my shins will bruise and be painful for a day or two after.

I just want them to heal faster. I don't care about temporarily relieving pain for the hours after practice.

Will Thai liniment (that yellow bottle kind) and/or tiger balm help after practice to heal faster? If so, which is better.

Also, knees as well

It does not help you heal faster, drink plenty of water, eat healthy and make sure that "pretty" lady boy down the road gives you a good rub down every night.

Your shins and knees will adapt and your technique will get better, it just takes time........

Last edited:
I only use it because it's smell Thailand. So it puts me into training mode.

I only use it because it's smell Thailand. So it puts me into training mode.

This. I had a few training partners back In the day who would use it when they were feeling extra froggy. The smell still gets me looking around for high kicks and sharp punches

I put a CBD oil / Icy Hot hybrid on my shins and legs where it formed bruises. I don't think it made it heal faster - but it made it hurt less through the following day and night.

There's no miracle cure for it.

Kick things, it'll hurt, let them heal, rinse repeat.

Chinese Dit Da Jow is awesome for sore limbs/ limb conditioning too.

This. I had a few training partners back In the day who would use it when they were feeling extra froggy. The smell still gets me looking around for high kicks and sharp punches

Yeah them beer bar girls hit hard when you rub that stuff down there........

Doesn't really do anything apart from provide very temporary relief.

Like Bekim said massaging, resting, drinking plenty of water etc will.

Also +1 - best liniment rub I've ever used was a dit da jow a family member got hold of for me - definitely found it better than the namman muay oil.

Tiger balm worked for me when I bruised my shin trying to kick an instructor (he told me to, but blocked with his massive hamhock shin). It hurt like hell-- I could feel my bone actually bend around his and it swelled up like a purple lemon right in the middle of my shin. The tiger balm made it feel better almost immediately, I was walking just fine a couple hours later and it healed fully that week, as far as I could tell. Tiger balm is what was available and so that's what I used. Couldn't have worked much better, imo.

This is also a story from when I was in highschool so I'm sure my healing was faster then than now. But the tiger balm worked, might as well try it if you have some laying around. You can also try other stuff- its not going to make it worse.

All these things do nothing. You feel a burn because it improves blood flow in your skin but only your skin. every supposed effect you feel on injuries or recovery are placebo effects or you just liking the burning feeling.
The only thing that heals shins is rest. You can obviously take stuff that actually works for the pain but thats it

I used to use tiger balm frequently, but read that petrolatum in the balm, and also found in most lotions if you check, is carcinogenic.

Back