Wierd Almond allergies

Andy Rickert

Amateur Fighter
Reaction score
Could anyone clue me into why I eat say.... a hershey bar with almonds, or some butter glazed almonds I will be fine. But when I try to eat raw almonds or almond butter (the healthy stuff!) my throat will begin to close up and I have trouble swallowing. Does anyone else have different kinds of allergies for the same foods?

Maybe it's the skin you're alergic to?

This is a long shot but, it could also be from the origin of the almond. This is mostly due to the soil composition affecting the exact mineral composition of the almond itself, and you're not actually allergic to the almond per se, but something in the dirt that's manifested in the almond. The same principal applies to why cuban cigars are so much better than cigars grown elsewhere. Same thing with why pot is so much better from the northwest than say from iowa.

Could anyone clue me into why I eat say.... a hershey bar with almonds, or some butter glazed almonds I will be fine. But when I try to eat raw almonds or almond butter (the healthy stuff!) my throat will begin to close up and I have trouble swallowing. Does anyone else have different kinds of allergies for the same foods?

I have the EXACT same thing. Roasted almonds are fine, but anything with raw almonds makes my throat swell.

I have similar issues with really fibrous fruits like pineapple, apples, and peaches.

interesting... interesting about the first post. I dont know what the hell it is, I went to my buddies house once and got a pack of raw almonds from his pantry and could only finish half of em.

I found out the hard way that I was allergic to fresh peaches. About a month ago, I had a few peaches during my lunch break. I came back to my office and my neck and face began to itch. When the itching lasted more than 15 minutes, I went to the bathroom and saw my face covered in hives. I did a little research afterwards and found that it was linked to my seasonal allergies. I can eat things with cooked peaches in them (I've never tried eating canned peaches out of a can) and can probably stand to eat one fresh peach, but that's it.

I ate some cereal a few years back that had raw sliced almonds in it and I nearly died from panic.

same thing with walnuts too, anytime I get to do one of my favorite things (crushing walnuts) I cant even eat the bastards anymore

That sounds like a decent way to check what's going on with it.

Get some fresh almonds. Set some aside leave them raw. Roast some on the stove or on the bbq w/e. I dunno how the hell to roast almonds. My mom used to in the stove. However you want. See if you get the same reactions to the roasted almonds as to the ones you left fresh.

The roasting could be cooking something off, like stuff in my previous comment, or, like pesticides and the likes.

If you are allergic to almonds, best to avoid them all together. food allergies get worse each time you get exposed to them until you reach full anaphylactic shock. trust me, it's not fun.

I have the same problem. I have discovered that for me there are a lot of things that will do it. Almond, walnuts, and a lot of other nuts. Apples, oranges and even watermelons. Soy milk will, but things like soy ice cream wont. There's a lot of other foods I cant remember that also will do it. Its a very mild reaction, it starts to become hard to swallow and breathe but nothing extreme. I did some research on this a while back to find out what was going on and I don't remember exactly what it was but I think it had to do with how the food was grown and what made its way onto the surface of the food. The soil, fertilizers, pesticides etc were affecting the food. I don't totally think that is it because some foods like watermelons I don't see how it would affect it. Some foods that you would think would do it also are fine to eat like pineapples, peaches, papayas all of which are no problem.

I wouldn't recommend you continue to eat any food you know does it, as like the person above me said it could get worse. I know my body and it has never worsened, and I have a bad habit and eating something that does it pretty often so I continue to do it...

o I definately dont eat the foods that do it, I hate the feeling

What most of you all are experiencing is called Oral Allergy Syndrome. You are actually having an allergic reaction to the pollen on the food. I didn't think this actually applied to nuts, but it does. Cooking and/or processing the food breaks down the pollen protein, which is why you typically don't get a reaction.

weird, and interesting. I was deathly allergic to all tree nuts when I was younger. Still am, but not so sensitive anymore. But, I could always eat Nut 'n Honey cereal. My Mom ate a fresh baked muffin with walnuts, and the smell caused an allergic reaction. But I could eat bowls of Nut 'n Honey. Walnuts have always been the worst though, no matter how much there is. Almonds though, seem to be variable. Same with pecans. At work they boiled a pot of dried pecans, then dumped the pot in the sink I was working in. The steam went in my face completely, but I had no reaction.

Cashews are variable as well. Apparently if they're really fresh I'm not allergic, otherwise I am. Weird how that works. And it's not placebo either. Most of the time I don't even realize there are nuts in a product until after the reaction starts.

If you are allergic to almonds, best to avoid them all together. food allergies get worse each time you get exposed to them until you reach full anaphylactic shock. trust me, it's not fun.

what he said
+ see an allergologist ASAP to find out what you're really allergic to
+ eat your fruits and veggies, I heard it lowers allergies

thats pretty common...a lot of people are allergic to raw nuts or other foods, but when they are cooked, there is no reaction. I can only assume that the proteins that cause the reaction are modified due to the cooking process.

Back