Why there are so many wrong preconceived notions about depression?

slivercord

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I don't usually open up about stuff like that, I try to keep things to myself. But as I grow older some shit really makes me wonder if someone who has never had a illness can understand what others go through. I've heard: "go on a walk and breathe some air" or "when I had depression(which in reality was misdiagnosed) I started to cut on medication and then I was ok", "people in the world are starving man up"!. Not playing the victim role but it's hard, and opinions like those only make harder for people to get help. From time to time I see some threads about this here on berry. Just want to say, youre not alone in this fight, it's one hell of a ride. If any one wants to share anything, feel free to. Sorry for the semi rant.

Paging the mental's.

Depression has a stigma that is worse than what gay guy's with aids had in the eighties.
The general public has no understanding it, nor do most any of them care to know.
Like in all times of recorded history, we see society's act with violent ignorance to what they do not understand, only to have the next generations eventually say "what were they thinking?" This day and age is no different. At the center of this misconception, is that those with mental illness are weak, stupid, crazy, untrustworthy, unreliable, dangerous etc...
After all, we are talking about the core of your person, that being your mind.

Most of those with depression that I have met are extremely sensitive and thoughtful complex individuals that have looked deep into the abyss, only to have the abyss look deep into them. Their very strength often becomes their weakness. Whether that be not assimilating into the coercive insanity of society, being extremely empathetic and compassionate, enduring accumulative trauma's, etc...

Last edited:
Mental illness is basically invisible, so folks have a hard time engaging with it. It's one area where the popular "support the troops" sentiment has been valuable beyond the surface level though. Culturally it's provided a shortcut to acceptance of a specific mental illness (PTSD), that, despite being an entirely different animal from depression, suffers equally from the lack of visible symptoms.

People who haven't been through it just can't undertand. They really can't. Many people will assume that feeling a little down sometimes is the same thing and then not comprehend why someone can't just pull themselves out of it.

I think part of it has to do with not being able to clearly define the line between mental depression and "life". Maybe this is similar to how kids were getting diagnosed/misdiagnosed and medicated for ADD/ADHD?

time for confession
I suffer from depression
with each fap session

#haikubattlestyle

I don't usually open up about stuff like that, I try to keep things to myself. But as I grow older some shit really makes me wonder if someone who has never had a illness can understand what others go through. I've heard: "go on a walk and breathe some air" or "when I had depression(which in reality was misdiagnosed) I started to cut on medication and then I was ok", "people in the world are starving man up"!. Not playing the victim role but it's hard, and opinions like those only make harder for people to get help. From time to time I see some threads about this here on berry. Just want to say, youre not alone in this fight, it's one hell of a ride. If any one wants to share anything, feel free to. Sorry for the semi rant.

Might be a few reasons:
For one: depression is a pretty broad term covering things ranging from "the blues" to "existential nightmare".

But, regarding those remarks that seem more flippant (people in the world are starving)....maybe it's not entirely incorrect of a thing to say. People who suffer from depression spend a lot of time thinking about themselves. Thinking why they are in the condition they're in; whether the thoughts they have accurately map to reality; how they will get themselves out of it; if there is anything to even get themselves out of (what I mean is that, if they're terrible thoughts of reality and their place in it are true.... then there's no hope of getting out of that).....

That's a long winded way of saying that they spend a lot of time thinking about themselves. It's almost as if their mind is collapsing in on itself.

Getting your view off of your woes might be a road to a better place. If Sisyphus was able to see the absurdity of his task then maybe he would have taken a break and stopped exhausting himself.

I know of no person suffering from depression who said, "You know, I was really depressed. I saw no purpose to anything I was doing. My life seemed beyond pointless. Every waking hour... every minute that I saw pass by was added torment to my mind. But, then I just thought even harder about the whole thing and Voila! No more depression!"

Lack of knowledge, understanding, and exposure all contribute to the stigmatization and ignorance of depression.

I'll admit I didn't really grasp it until I had to study how the brain works on a basic level.

Might be a few reasons:
For one: depression is a pretty broad term covering things ranging from "the blues" to "existential nightmare".

But, regarding those remarks that seem more flippant (people in the world are starving)....maybe it's not entirely incorrect of a thing to say. People who suffer from depression spend a lot of time thinking about themselves. Thinking why they are in the condition they're in; whether the thoughts they have accurately map to reality; how they will get themselves out of it; if there is anything to even get themselves out of (what I mean is that, if they're terrible thoughts of reality and their place in it are true.... then there's no hope of getting out of that).....

That's a long winded way of saying that they spend a lot of time thinking about themselves. It's almost as if their mind is collapsing in on itself.

Getting your view off of your woes might be a road to a better place. If Sisyphus was able to see the absurdity of his task then maybe he would have taken a break and stopped exhausting himself.

I know of no person suffering from depression who said, "You know, I was really depressed. I saw no purpose to anything I was doing. My life seemed beyond pointless. Every waking hour... every minute that I saw pass by was added torment to my mind. But, then I just thought even harder about the whole thing and Voila! No more depression!"

well put.

You know how it sucks listening to someone else's dream?

The problem with depression or any mental illness is that it physically can't be seen. It's not like a broken bone or someone dying by lung cancer where you can easily sympathize towards that person. Because you can see someone with a cast or someone physically deteriorating.

I believe depression is the cancer of the mind. Having depression is like being pissed off drunk. When someone is drunk they become susceptible to being irrational. And when your drunk you tend to make bad choices. So imagine you were drunk with depression. You of course will not think rationally and the ones who are clinically depressed. They start thinking of suicide as the only way out. You're in the deepest darkest hole you can ever imagine.

Most of the tough guys in this forum will tell you you should just suck it up and this new era of depressed people are pansies....screw this generation etc etc.

On the serious side, People are often too quick to write off stuff like this, and depression can often be mistaken for other things, like heavy stress we often encounter weekly from work/life, etc. I don't think we even need to throw in saying people are playing victim because some people are super sensitive for a reason....childhood trauma for instance.

1 in 10 americans had depression or some shit like that.
But yeah its not real.

Back