Why Tarantino Doesn't Like Netflix

A friend sent me this article where Tarantino discusses his feelings about Netflix. Here's what he has to say:

And here's another interesting quote from another article:

What do you guys think? Does QT have a point or is this oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg?

It's all nostalgia. Browsing the movies in Blockbuster was fun. I get that, but he has to stop living in the past on this one. Video stores are long gone, and they are never coming back.

Technology they sold us has taken the fun out of everything. That's true. When it replaces fun with convienence, an even swap can be argued. When the tech doesn' make things easier, like waiters fumbling around with electronic recording for orders, which also takes more time, well then it's just "we are suckers, and let them destroy our free will with their advertising dollars."

Tech can be sad. It can also be convenient.

If things werent convenient, they wouldnt be used.

Electronic recording isnt there to make the life of waiters easier, but the life of the business accountant easier.

If things werent convenient, they wouldnt be used.

Electronic recording isnt there to make the life of waiters easier, but the life of the business accountant easier.

WRONG lol. People are buying $1,000 phones because a company told them to, and you are going to tell me people will only use what is more convenient? Gimme a break. They buy whatever the companies tell them too.

I would need to k ow more about the electronic waiter ordering systems to judge.. I know it makes it slower for the customer, and makes you waiter stare at a screen. I suppose I can think of inventory monitoring and possibly theft prevention that could make it worthwhile for the owners. The accountants receive the data electronically either way, or from a batch printout.

I don't think the point he was making was all about the shopping experience, I took from it that when you had to make an effort to get a movie you actually committed to watching it because you had invested time and money getting that movie in to your house. This meant you were more choosy about what you rented and you actually gave films your full attention rather than flicking off after 10 mins to watch something else now that you have everything all the time.
I think he is right, whether its film, TV or music streaming services have given us too much choice and we really appreciate nothing anymore. Remember buying a tape/record etc and listening to it start to finish over and over? I don't remember the last time I listened to an album start to finish.

It is fair to say that when you have everything you truly appreciate nothing

I love nostalgia, but I can't say I miss video stores that much. I can buy/rent movies from my TV, laptop, ipad, etc... and I don't have to worry about a damn waiting list. No having to hunt around multiple stores for a particular movie and then hop on a list and wait days because none of them have it.

If I start a movie, then I watch it. I don't have that 'move on after 10-20 minutes if I'm not feeling it' mentality. I will watch a shit movie to its goddamn bitter end. I'm committed when I select a movie regardless of where I got it. I don't need the video store experience to become committed. Being more invested in a movie because of the video store experience? Basically, you end up convincing yourself of liking a shit movie more than you would because of the time investment, but is that really a good thing? You're just lying to yourself in an attempt to make it seem like the effort was worth it when you know goddamn well that movie was shit and you didn't really didn't like it.

Why is choosing movies from reading the back and looking at the box art and/or hearing some random stranger's opinion a good thing compared to all the info and countless opinions we have access to now? And what about time constraints? You didn't always have that much time at the video store to make your selections, so you ended up settling. And when you settle maybe you end up with something like Anaconda, and then maybe you cry yourself to sleep because of the time and money you wasted on Anaconda. Today, you have quick access to info and opinions, so you would know not to put that hard and tangible Anaconda in your hands.

I largely agree with him. I don't buy digital downloads of movies or music, I buy the physical copy which might also come with a digital copy. I do have Netflix and amazon prime though because there is more access for certain stuff. Similarly, I don't want movie studios to move towards home viewing and away from movie theaters and sometimes I hate going to the movies, but it's still my preferred way of experiencing a movie.

Remember buying a tape/record etc and listening to it start to finish over and over? I don't remember the last time I listened to an album start to finish.
I listen to albums start to finish every day and I grew up in the MP3 era. I still buy CDs and LPs too.

I may be an outlier.

Last edited:
I listen to albums start to finish ever day and I grew up in the MP3 era. I still buy CDs and LPs too.

I may be an outlier.

I think you may be, great to hear that some people still value these things though. I just feel that in todays world the things that used to matter generally don't. Maybe I'm just getting old lol

True or false: the end of net neutrality = ISPs and streaming companies will have consumers even more by the balls.

I get where he’s coming from, but I also understand why the times have changed. People like convenience over quality. Personally, I still buy DVDs because I don’t like the idea of owning storage on a hard drive as a movie. There’s plenty of time now where I’d like to rent a movie and Netflix or whatever doesn’t have it, and since rental stores are all gone, I’m left to finding a low quality version on the internet.

I have fond memories of the video rental store down the street from my mom’s shop. It was staffed with irresponsible workers who let a kid rent R-rated movies on a weekly basis, but I wasn’t complaining.

Last edited:
I thought he was gonna talk about how netflix is cearly pushing an agenda that is skin crawling annoying. But as for picking shit out at the video store, I don't time a fuck. I only prefer to have books as hard copies so I can feel the pages between my fingers, and see the stains of my multiole readings. Memorriesssss....not there wth a fucking video tape.

My local video store was great. They had a gonzo/occult section with shit like 'faces of death' and early UFC tapes. I vaguely remember seeing dogfighting videos there ffs. Quite a fucking education

Its almost pointless to have a hard copy....Not only is it wasted resources but its a fucking plastic disc that'll you watch once or fcking twice if that.

I can't imagine anybody actually still wanting to watch media on VHS tapes, that format was literally the worst thing possible. If I want to see a particular scene of a movie you can just jump straight to that scene.

I was really into having physical copies of movies, for the longest time. Probably had a lot to do with fond childhood memories of picking up some movies on a Friday night, and watching them with family. There was something a lot more magical about putting a disc or videotape into the player.

Even though Netflix and Prime have an endless selection of movies, I can't even bring myself to watch movies I want to see.

My local video store was great. They had a gonzo/occult section with shit like 'faces of death' and early UFC tapes. I vaguely remember seeing dogfighting videos there ffs. Quite a fucking education

I remember the next town over from where I lived growing up rented out the Faces of Deaths videos, and I tried renting one and they wouldn’t let me, rightfully so. I was thinking, “the store back home would have let me.” Boy, I miss those old farts who just didn’t give a damn.

i think his idea of movies being a craft, with browsing the boxes and looking at the art and the screens and making that choice to get something new, shit i'm all over that. most of my childhood, teens and hell early 20s revolved around renting movies at a blockbuster. there was definitely something great about holdin the box and seeing what what was out there that i hadn't seen. nowadays, i get that netflix and other streaming stuff is more convenient but it isn't the same, and with the influx of digital movies came an influx of inferior movies. it almost feels like movie making isn't special anymore, too many people can do it, and do it badly.

I miss the video store, every Friday was movie night and i remember looking forward to it as a kid and those stores would be packed man. Especially on the weekend and when new releases got put on the shelves.

It was such a special feeling going to the video store. I miss it so much.

sounds like "old man yells at clouds"

his analogy of the video store is so wrong. netflix is basically the same thing as a videostore, only better. i thought he was going to make more of a point about the cinema experience.

Back