Why is there so much light divisions in boxing and only one for people weigh in more than 205 lbd

bhop1986

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
There is 205 guys fighting monsters in hw division.it would be great to se more divisions for big guys

The talent pool above 200 pounds isn't big enough to justify more divisions and, if pressed, every great HW in the history of the sport could make a 225 or 230 pound limit.

The original 8 weight classes were made waaaaaay back, people were just smaller on average back then, particularly Americans. Everything since has essentially been a spin off of one of the original 8

Part of it too s the fact that a bunch of these weight classes are coming from a time when we were smaller. All them hormones in the meat is screwing up our development I tells ya!

There is 205 guys fighting monsters in hw division.it would be great to se more divisions for big guys
Bringing CW up from 190lbs to 200lbs was to alleviate that. If you're around 220lbs you have the option of cutting down to 200 or putting on some weight to fight at HW. The big money's at HW anyway and most guys want to fight there. If they're too small they should be able to cut down to 200lbs.

Simple answer. . . .the boxing organizations receive sanctioning fees for championship fights. . . the more weight classes, the more money. . . . Countries who have centuries of less than adequate nutrition and thus smaller people produce lighter weight classes. . . . 10 weight divisions exist at 140 lbs. and under.

Those weight classes effectively allow some countries to compete on the world scene. If you followed boxing in Japan, Thailand or Mexico and wanted to compare the number of great fighters under, let's say, 130 pounds with the number of great Japanese, Thai or Mexican fighters above 200 pounds the lists wouldn't even be close.

The original 8 weight classes were made waaaaaay back, people were just smaller on average back then, particularly Americans.

In comparison to who? And where are these stats?

Americans were smaller back then compared to what they are today.

Americans were the top fighters all the way down to flyweight for a while but they've basically dissappeared recently from anything under SBW.

It's due to nutrition. People are larger than during the turn of the last century. There will always be "giants" but an Abe Simon isn't in the same athletic class as a Vitali Klitschko.

Americans were smaller back then compared to what they are today.

Americans were the top fighters all the way down to flyweight for a while but they've basically dissappeared recently from anything under SBW.

It's due to nutrition. People are larger than during the turn of the last century. There will always be "giants" but an Abe Simon isn't in the same athletic class as a Vitali Klitschko.

I read it wrong.
I thought you were saying Americans were smaller than everyone else back then. Didnt know you were comparing it to now.
And ppl really arent that much bigger. Fatter yes. I dont know about bigger. What foods are we eating now that we werent eating then? Or is it what we are pumping into the food thats different?

Todays bigger men aren't that athletic either. It's really impossible for size to help a boxer past a certain point. Gil clancy said Ali was the perfect size for a heavyweight, it's true. Any larger and there is too much sacrifice in stamina, coordination, speed, skill. I don't think todays big guys are too big.

Todays bigger men aren't that athletic either. It's really impossible for size to help a boxer past a certain point. Gil clancy said Ali was the perfect size for a heavyweight, it's true. Any larger and there is too much sacrifice in stamina, coordination, speed, skill. I don't think todays big guys are too big.
I don't agree with that. The Klitschkos are much larger and still very athletic. Lewis was about Ali's weight before Steward took over and had him bulk up to great effect. Bowe during his short prime was about 235 in great shape.

their movement wasnt that great, particularly Lewis, his movement was horrible. It worked in their eras but I think it would have been easy pickings for some of the fighters of the past who had much more quickness.

I think it's fine how it is personally. Now that the cw limit is up at 200 allows guys who are small enough to cut down to that.

If you can't get down to 200 then you're probably big enough to to fight many hw's. I don't think there's enough fighters out there to make a weight class for super heavy or another weightclass above 200 other than hw.

Maybe you could get rid of one or two of the really small weight classes b/c those tend to be the closest lb wise but I don't think that's necessary either.

Back