Why is boxing so excessively racist?

racism is an important part of boxing. it keeps the styles segregated so it keeps it interesting.

if black gyms let mexicans in and vice versa, everything would get homogenized and we would see the boxing equivalent of wall n stall (where strikers trained with wrestlers to learn how to sit against the fence... i realize wall n stall is really meant to describe the situation like gsp holding bj penn against the cage, but the sitting against the cage like bisping used to do a lot of is a result of letting the styles mix too much).

Dont agree with that at all
In Britain black/white/Asian all train together, there are no segregated gyms. it doesn't mean that the styles are the same; that is completely down to the trainer. And most trainers I've had will train me based on my physique (being 6ft 2) and things I do well

I think you're conflating and discussion about race or preference for your own race with racism. That's wrong.

It's natural to root for people who look like you or are from where you are from. People of all races do that. That's fine. It's also not correct that all races are on average exactly equally endowed with all attributes. That's fine too. Neither imply racism.

We need to stop creating this hypersensitivity about race by calling nearly everything race-related racism. Sunlight is the best disinfectant and so rather than suppressing all things race by labeling them racist, lets talk. That's the only way to progress.

The only problem with that line of thinking is that people, quite frankly, aren't smart or responsible enough to deal with nuanced facts without drawing erroneous conclusions. Tell someone that the average X is stronger than the average Y, and they'll think every Y is a weak piece of shit and treat them accordingly. So there's actually no responsible way to discuss this. The whole "sunlight is the best disinfectant" is just a throwaway line, doesn't work in real life.

The only problem with that line of thinking is that people, quite frankly, aren't smart or responsible enough to deal with nuanced facts without drawing erroneous conclusions. Tell someone that the average X is stronger than the average Y, and they'll think every Y is a weak piece of shit and treat them accordingly. So there's actually no responsible way to discuss this. The whole "sunlight is the best disinfectant" is just a throwaway line, doesn't work in real life.

I disagree with the last part. The best racial moments are with friends of different races when you can talk and joke about race openly and not be scared to be accused of racism. The current environment of naming and shaming everyone as racist who doesn't march to the PC line does not work. It suppresses people and builds resentment and leads to Trump. We need to hold people to be accountable for being smart and not coddle them by censuring difficult subjects.

I think ideally boxing may fit his description.

I disagree with the last part. The best racial moments are with friends of different races when you can talk and joke about race openly and not be scared to be accused of racism. The current environment of naming and shaming everyone as racist who doesn't march to the PC line does not work. It suppresses people and builds resentment and leads to Trump. We need to hold people to be accountable for being smart and not coddle them by censuring difficult subjects.

I think ideally boxing may fit his description.

Bonding over race jokes with friends is entirely besides the point, most people aren't your friends. People will always be automatically suspicious of strangers when it comes to topics like race, and for good reason. You're asking people to accept a level of vulnerability that is not warranted given this country's ugly history of racism.

Also, this whole PC thing as a reason for Trump is a crock of shit IMO. PC cuts both ways, the right-wing PC police marched Colin Kaepernick right out of the NFL, all because he decided to take a knee during the national anthem.

In Britain black/white/Asian all train together, there are no segregated gyms. it doesn't mean that the styles are the same; that is completely down to the trainer. And most trainers I've had will train me based on my physique (being 6ft 2) and things I do well

it's fine that you think that. you don't live in the us. here it is different

it's racist because people like to use ALT accounts when their fighter doesnt win. the internet boxing fan base is fucked. they cheer for one guy but never pay for their fighter. kovalev seems to have 10 times the ward fans online but at any event Kovalevs fans arent common

It's not just youtube comments as already established. Boxers are openly racist too, it's a tribal and nationalistic community. My experiences in boxing, forums, YouTube of which the comments as some of the most rec'd and liked, famous boxers say racist shit all the time. Reading comprehension wise guy, use it.
I've never really heard a non african american say racist things in boxing, but thats mostly true in society as a whole when it comes to public figures. The privilege seems to be unique. If you guys have any examples of non black fighters being racist I'd be glad to watch.

Last edited:
Pavlik Taylor haha jk.

Naw its no worse in boxing than any other sports. I'm white and I dont think I have a favorite white boxer??? Did like pavlik though.
On a serious note its honestly no worse in boxing than NFL Soccer NBA NHL MLB etc. People see a black hockey player and are like wtf? White NBA player Larry Bird? Its everywhere people are pricks.
well you're a gatti fan. He's white.

I've never really heard a non african american say racist things in boxing, but thats mostly true in society as a whole when it comes to public figures. The privilege seems to be unique. If you guys have any examples of non black fighters being racist I'd be glad to watch.

More retarded than anything else, but definitely not black.

Kovalev?

There aren't segregated gyms in the U.S. that I know. People are talking about who roots for who in a fight

There aren't segregated gyms in the U.S. that I know. People are talking about who roots for who in a fight

Well that's very different to over in Britain. We generally support our own no matter what their race, religion or background. Shame that as a country the US isn't so well adjusted as we are. I suppose that's not so easy based on fairly recent history

Well that's very different to over in Britain. We generally support our own no matter what their race, religion or background. Shame that as a country the US isn't so well adjusted as we are. I suppose that's not so easy based on fairly recent history

and not everyone in the U.S. roots for a fighter b/c of race. I have a tendency to root for pressure fighters. Other than that I could care less.

The English are well known for committing genocide on people not like them. It's also weird b/c most people have this monolithic thinking and attitudes--all Americans are like this and all Irish are like this. So many English get self righteous about this though.

Last edited:
and not everyone in the U.S. roots for a fighter b/c of race. I have a tendency to root for pressure fighters. Other than that I could care less.

The English are well known for committing genocide on people not like them. It's also weird b/c most people have this monolithic thinking and attitudes--all Americans are like this and all Irish are like this. So many English get self righteous about this though.

I wouldn't have bothered replying to you if I realised how much of a twat you are

I think some of it has to do with fact that historically many or most the great boxers came from poor immigrant or minority communities. Irish and Italians were subject to a lot of racism (for example Irish were treated like Chinese and almost enslaved to build the railroads) during their main waves of immigration. Russia and other ex-Soviet countries are still kinda the "slums" of Europe. And of course the American black population. Even when you get a white guy boxing from US or UK they are usually from working class or rural areas. So basically there has been wave after wave of "new" ethnicities rising in the sport and as they do each one faces the same racism their community does.

While this has changed a bit (boxing and MMA more respectable) I don't know any suburban white rich people who have their kids in boxing classes or other serious combat sports (Kids TKD doesn't count). Even today my mother hates me boxing and in a way she was right -- I made a far better career using my brain and education I was lucky to have access than I likely would have boxing.

well you're a gatti fan. He's white.
You're kidding right? He's not white he's Italian. Seriously, he wouldn't be considered white by white people. Basically, if you are likely to face discrimination you're not white. A guy looking like Gatti would face a lot of discrimination. When people are being racist they don't abide by the scientific definition ("even Arabs are Caucasian"?).

I don't care about this stuff, but know people who do and Italians are not considered white by racists.

Back